What kind of dog should i get.

What kind of dog should i get.

charisseinquestion

9/3/2005 2:50:51 PM
I want a small/medium dog.
I have a two bedroom apartment.
I work a 9-5.
I want a compainion that will sit on my lap and love me but is slighty protective.

I want one that will go on runs with me and beable to run faster than i.

please help.
gbat1stop

9/4/2005 11:36:10 AM
BUMP
apbtlover

9/4/2005 12:57:56 PM
just go to your look at your local animal shelter and take a look at their small/medium sized mutts. sometimes they are the best dogs in the world. wouldnt trade mine in for anything
noskiveez

9/4/2005 5:31:31 PM
Regardless of where you go for a dog, you should consider the grooming needs of the dog and the excersize needs too. I like little dogs too because it is so nice to have dogs who can sit on you without squishing you. I hope you find one who fits your lifestyle. someplace you might be able to get some good info from about dog breeds is from AKC.
eunicorn98

9/5/2005 11:52:58 PM
You should get a Shih tzu!! I have two and their perfect small apartment dogs. One of my shih tzus is very athletic and loves to run. My other Shih tzu doesn't like to run for a long distance but loves to walk. Both dogs like to sit next to me or on my lap. They are also not yappy like a lot of other small dogs. The only time they do bark is when someone is at the door.
Your 9-5 schedule is perfect since shih tzu's love to sleep when no one is around.
aeromarley1983

9/6/2005 8:56:03 AM
I would suggest an Italian Greyhound or a Clumber Spaniel. :)
ambulldogpup

9/6/2005 4:50:53 PM
I suggest a miniature doberman pinsher. There active dogs and good looking too. Plus you don't have to pay a fortune on grooming. But I don't know a lot about that kind of dog. Maybe a beagle would be good for you??
hobby21602

9/6/2005 4:56:34 PM
Well sounds like my dog Shiba Inu.
shay05

9/6/2005 5:06:12 PM

Quote charisseinquestion:

I work a 9-5.
I want a compainion that will sit on my lap and love me but is slighty protective.

please help.
Small breeds maybe? That dont need alot of excersize. I have shih tzus and before we were in our house we lived in a 2bdrm apt. So maybe something under 10lbs.

The only thing is that you work...so you may no want a puppy. Puppies need LOTS of attention especially when it comes to housebreaking. Look into an older dog that housebroken,i love that nanner
schnauzer1234

9/6/2005 8:35:05 PM
I would suggest you get a miniature schnauzer. They love to run and yet are happy to just lay around as well. They do not shed, when kept cut close they do not need brushing, and are next to hypoallergenic. I have two children who are allergic to dogs and the two schnauzers we have do not botter them at all. And they are very loyal and protective!!!!! They usually are under 14 inches tall and under 25 pounds. I would have no other breed.
tigger546

9/26/2005 2:06:19 PM
I have a cocker spaniel/ poodle. he has everything that your looking for. so try to get one of the two breeds that are in my dog. you will love it. so go get one.
shay05

9/26/2005 5:57:52 PM

Quote eunicorn98:

You should get a Shih tzu!! I have two and their perfect small apartment dogs. One of my shih tzus is very athletic and loves to run. My other Shih tzu doesn't like to run for a long distance but loves to walk. Both dogs like to sit next to me or on my lap. They are also not yappy like a lot of other small dogs. The only time they do bark is when someone is at the door.
Your 9-5 schedule is perfect since shih tzu's love to sleep when no one is around.
I have 2, too. Good dogs. I love mine to death
doglovingkk

6/8/2009 12:47:35 PM

I work a 9-5.

please help.
did you ever think of a beagle?? they need space, but by the way you talk it sounds like you liketo go on runs,that will take the energy out of the beagle. they are very loving but can be protective. they are loving and good around kids. they have the standered beagle, but it sounnds like you want a miniature beagle, you will fall in love!!!http://
dihart

6/9/2009 7:31:36 AM
I would suggest a wonderful breed that will be a good family companion, a protector and also keep up with you for hours. My Coton de Tulear is a fantastic dog, smart, funny, loves to run and play, yet compact. She is 15 pounds adult weight and an awesome canine. Yes the coat requires grooming, just like any other non-shedding breed of dog (with dogs you either get shedding or grooming) we keep ours in a puppy cut, and brush her out several times a week. When she is sitting on your lap, chilling out with you is a great time for that.
kelsey111

6/9/2009 7:44:54 AM
who is going to look after your dog whilst u go to work? thats a long time for a dog not to be let out in the garden or have attention

why not a cat there more inderpendant?
maligirl1

6/10/2009 7:16:44 AM
try a corgi-i have 2 a pembroke and a cardigan/beagle mix.best behaved and nicest dogs i have ever had.course i'm biased.but seriously, do some research and decide for yourself. good luck
maltesemommamia

6/11/2009 6:43:07 PM
Definitely get an adult dog, who can already wait those hours till you are home for a walk. In 40yrs, I've had many breeds --- and will highly recommend a Shih Tzu, although I don't currently have one myself. They are the most even-tempered, calm, loving, intelligent, WONDERFUL companions out there!
In NYC Shih Tzu's rule ---- as that's all that you see. For good reason.

Search for a rescue group near you -- you will probably be able to find one to adopt.
maoseger1010

6/12/2009 8:01:35 AM

I work a 9-5.

please help.
Although I currently own and truely love the Shih tzu breed, they are not in my opinion "Real" lap dogs. Unless you think of lap as near your feet or at the other end of the bed/couch. They like to be near you but not on top of you. Oh they will cuddle and kiss you a bit and loved to be carried around, but I've never had one (male or female) that was content to lay on my lap for a long time.

My Chihuahua on the other hand(not a breed I would suggest you get) wants to sit on me as close to my face as possiable. There are pro's and con's to this.

You may want to think about getting a Llasa Ops. They are slighly larger than the Shih tzu, just as cute and are slightly more protective. Very loyal and loving to their owners. In my opinion the males tend to be more of a "one" person dog, which is not to say he won't like anyone else but he'll pick on person that he loves above all others.

Just something to think about.
shoobythedog

6/14/2009 9:22:49 PM

Quote aeromarley1983:

I would suggest an Italian Greyhound or a Clumber Spaniel. :)
I agree.

But I also think cockapoos (or mutts) are good to. I have one named shooby. He is fast, smart, loving, and protective. Although he may be to big for a house like yours. I do beleive they come in diffrent sizes though.
makedoo

6/18/2009 10:38:08 PM
a cocker spainel puppy can sit on your lap but when it grows it might not but it snuggles a lot try a cockier spaniel but this is just my opinin i just love cocker spainel