Great swiss Mountain Dog in NY?

Great swiss Mountain Dog in NY?

roids2.0

QUOTE 4/8/2011 1:39:27 AM
Ok so i live in NYC and after doing a bit of research on the dog, i wanted to know would it be fair to get a great swiss although i have a 4 bedroom apartment. There is a nearby park for exercise,and i have more than enough time for him but would the space be to small, causing the dog to be uncomfortable. I'd just like an honest opinion to avoid a bad or unfair decision...
birdygirl

QUOTE 4/8/2011 10:13:04 PM
I think it would be all right, as long as you're commited to giving him exercise. I recommend that you adopt a laid-back adult from a rescue or shelter, as a puppy would need a lot of exercise and space, whereas a calm adult would be fine with a small amount of space - he'd probably rather sleep anyway.  However, you'd need to be commited to giving him attention; a good test would be to do the same thing you'd do if you had a dog (go to the park, take a walk, etc) and see if you're OK with doing that every day for around ten years. If not, don't get a dog!  

Good luck!
roids2.0

QUOTE 4/9/2011 7:23:58 AM

Quote birdygirl:

I think it would be all right, as long as you're commited to giving him exercise. I recommend that you adopt a laid-back adult from a rescue or shelter, as a puppy would need a lot of exercise and space, whereas a calm adult would be fine with a small amount of space - he'd probably rather sleep anyway.  However, you'd need to be commited to giving him attention; a good test would be to do the same thing you'd do if you had a dog (go to the park, take a walk, etc) and see if you're OK with doing that every day for around ten years. If not, don't get a dog!  

Good luck!
That sounds like a good idea,thanks for the pointers and tips . We've had a German shepherd mix before till the day she passed so im fairly used to walks and park runs. I will test myself daily an hopefully get this dog! 
Post Reply New Topic