Best breed for Family with a Toddler

Best breed for Family with a Toddler

lcmommy

QUOTE 4/5/2011 12:57:42 PM
Hello all,

I have been researching like crazy trying to decide on the best breed for my family. I  had a bad experience with a dachshund I had for 7 years, she bite my toddler in the face when he was trying to pet her. Fortunatly he was ok, just some bruises and scrapes. He LOVES dogs and is really good with them and Im not just saying that he is amazing with them he gently pets, wants to lay and snuggle, throw a toy  and even gives kisses even after he had that happen to him. I can see he is a dog lover like me. I really like the german shorthaired pointer, Labrador and was even was considering the viszla. Has anyone had any experience with any of these breeds. Activity level isnt a main concern Im use to that and have had plenty of experience with training. I just want a pet that will be excellent with my child and love him they way he will love it. Thank you for your responses.
lcmommy

QUOTE 4/5/2011 12:59:58 PM
Also male vs female. I have noticed that females tend to be more moody. Playful one minute and then want to left alone the next. Where as males tend to have a constant mood. Any thoughts on that also. Thanks
kathystone

QUOTE 4/6/2011 5:19:13 AM
 Labs are great dogs but you must start them off early with training or you will end up with a monster like Marley. What about an older dog? There are loads of older dogs available at most animal shelters that would be a great pet. Or go to a rescue. Sometimes they have already trained and socialized dogs that are over 3 years old( the teething faze) you can adopt.

The female vs male issue is usually a personal and individual thing. When I grew up we had a  cocker dachshund cross who was a human in a dog suit. She played little league with my brother. She picked it up by watching him play. The team was always short handed so Pebbles played as the entire outfield. The clubs allowed her to run in and tag the batter as she was not able to throw the ball. Lets just say she helped the team get to the championships with 6 kids. She could not bat but one of the boys would hit the ball and she would run. Most teams were afraid to tag her out.  

A good older dog is a blessing most people overlook. Good luck.
dixierunlabradors

QUOTE 4/6/2011 3:15:27 PM
I Feel its wonderful you are researching the right breed for your family. I believe labradors are the best family dogs.. However,you do need to make sure you do training..It would be best to get a full English labrador due to the calmer more gentle nature vs. the field(american style).. Also,finding a quality breeder if you are looking for a puppy is a must.. Especially one that socializes it with their children..Get vet references,one that cares about the breed..does OFA/CERF clearances..do your homework..sadly,there is not all good breeders out there..As far as a dog in a shelter,you never know trully what your getting..how they have been socialized,health/hip and eyes issues..Also,they call mainly all thier dogs "lab mixes".. They don't know 100%.. I have heard horror stories from our families about getting a rescue/shelter dog.. Sadly,Kids getting bit. As far as the gender goes,both boys and girls are good for the family..However,I have to say I love my boys the best! Don't get me wrong,I love my girls and boys..But,the boys are often teddy bears..Best of luck with your search! Blessing's!
lcmommy

QUOTE 4/8/2011 1:12:52 PM

Quote dixierunlabradors:

I Feel its wonderful you are researching the right breed for your family. I believe labradors are the best family dogs.. However,you do need to make sure you do training..It would be best to get a full English labrador due to the calmer more gentle nature vs. the field(american style).. Also,finding a quality breeder if you are looking for a puppy is a must.. Especially one that socializes it with their children..Get vet references,one that cares about the breed..does OFA/CERF clearances..do your homework..sadly,there is not all good breeders out there..As far as a dog in a shelter,you never know trully what your getting..how they have been socialized,health/hip and eyes issues..Also,they call mainly all thier dogs "lab mixes".. They don't know 100%.. I have heard horror stories from our families about getting a rescue/shelter dog.. Sadly,Kids getting bit. As far as the gender goes,both boys and girls are good for the family..However,I have to say I love my boys the best! Don't get me wrong,I love my girls and boys..But,the boys are often teddy bears..Best of luck with your search! Blessing's!
Thank you very much!
birdygirl

QUOTE 4/8/2011 10:18:24 PM
Hmm. . . Certainly not a GSP or Vizsla, as both of those are extremely energetic. You'd need to give them two hours of exercise a day just to take the edge off, and obviously with a toddler you don't have that kind of time. I think a Labrador would be a fine choice, but I do recommend that you adopt an adult from a rescue instead of buying a puppy. Puppies are very time-consuming and it's difficult to tell what (s)he'll be like when (s)he's an adult, whereas with an adult you already know!

Good luck!
birdygirl

QUOTE 4/8/2011 10:24:45 PM

Quote dixierunlabradors:

"Also, they call mainly all their dogs 'lab mixes'. . ." 

Wow, you must know of a pretty bad shelter! Most shelters I've checked out (and believe me, I've checked out quite a few) don't do this. In fact, I think their guesses are really good!

"Sadly, kids getting bit."

Gosh, that was either a really bad dog or (much more likely) an uninformed and incorrect adoption. I would recommend going to http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/adoptingrescuedog.htm for information on correctly doing this.

"As far as a dog in a shelter, you never know truly what you're getting..."

Most shelters offer a "test run" for dogs, so you can know what you're getting. Also, often times owners surrender their dog (and therefore tell the shelter any healthy issues the dog has). You can ask specifically for a dog that the shelter knows is healthy.

mistie1

QUOTE 11/26/2011 8:18:32 PM
Samoyeds are one of the best family dogs there are, males or females it does not matter they gravitate towards kids, are loving and as friendly to people, as they are to other animales and they love the kids,
Post Reply New Topic