Help finding the right breed?!?!

Help finding the right breed?!?!

ladybug4

QUOTE 4/18/2010 10:19:09 PM

dihart

QUOTE 4/19/2010 2:14:29 PM
you should fill out the "breed match" under the Find a Dog tab above, and then you will see breeds that suit your desires in size, temperment, activity level. Obviously you will need to be frankly, well, honest about the time you have to devote to a puppy, how much yard space you have and your own willlingness to invest time in training that puppy. Because any pup, no matter what the breed, is a work in progress. I always tell prospective new owners that it is like having a baby in the house for the first year, or at least the first several months. Getting up at night, the crying (mostly at night, but daytime too) puppyproofing the house, walking (good for you and for puppy) & play (also good for you and for puppy)....puppies, fun, Yes!  companionship, Yes! unmatched devotion, Yes!  WORK, YES! 
tanktrouble

QUOTE 4/20/2010 4:57:41 PM
Very true, dihart. 

Just don't take the breedmatch thing too literally.  Take the suggestions it makes and do some research on the breeds.  The suggestions still might not be right for you because it doesn't ask quite enough questions to be able to personalize very well.  You may want a small, long haired, friendly, good with people and animals, little exercise, and a lot of other traits.  The breedmatch only gives options on five things.  Take the time and do some research on several different breeds before you choose.

dihart

QUOTE 4/20/2010 9:37:23 PM
       well that's a given anytime no matter when one is thinking about buying a dog.  And all i knew was Ladybug4's topic of "help finding the right breed?!?!" So some general directions about how NDP works and some additional things to consider. you're right tho, there is lots. I certainly could have been more in depth    Another good website to read about the breeds too  is www.dogbreedinfo.com and lists pros & cons & breed traits & other helpful info plus pictures from owners. I like it when I want to find just that out with a breed I am not familiar with.  Also the akc website www.akc.org is a great source of information about breed standards, and what different dog were bred for. A dog is a big committment, like having a baby in the house.
dihart

QUOTE 4/22/2010 10:06:18 PM
I did actually just go to "breedmatch" under the new tabs there at the top (nice look NDP), to see the method of matching and yep, there's a lot more to it than that, so this is an encouragement to any potential new puppy owner to check out those other websites that we mentionioned....dogbreedinfo, AKC website, etc, etc. And NDP, how about a bit more indepth considerations of matching owner to breed.  
Post Reply New Topic