So many dogs to choose from...

So many dogs to choose from...

maddycat

QUOTE 12/8/2009 6:17:14 PM
Greetings all. We need a dog who can live with us in different types of weather (military moves us around every few years), get along with the cat, adapt once we add children into the mix, and be trainable enough that it won't rip my arm off like my childhood dogs did. We currently live in a smaller apartment. We do have a small yard, but it is not fenced in. There's a field near here that we could take a dog to for running and fetch and such, but again, it is not fenced in. What breed works for this situation? We were looking at yorkies, schnauzers, corgis, pugs, and bulldogs. We want to make absolutely sure we find the right fit. Sending a pup back is the worst, and we don't want to have that situation arise!
rocking2r

QUOTE 12/9/2009 12:36:51 PM
Have you considered the Miniature Australian Shepherd?  They make wonderful indoor family dogs - very loyal, protective, very intelligent and very trainable.  Inside, they are couch potatoes - outside they are energetic.  They seem to mirror the energy level of their owners.  They are not wanderers, and like to stay close to home and want to be wherever their family is.  They are not barkers, but are excellent lap warmers.  They are not as high energy as other herding breeds, and they seem to be content even without herding responsibilities.  They do like to have a job, though.  Some of them help to gather up sticks in the yard.   Some just gather up dirty socks in the house...  They get along well with other dogs and cats, but can sometimes be a little standoffish with strangers.  You can see some Christmas pups on my website at www.rocking2r.com  .  Good luck in making your choice. 

maligirl1

QUOTE 12/9/2009 12:46:44 PM

Quote maddycat:

Greetings all. We need a dog who can live with us in different types of weather (military moves us around every few years), get along with the cat, adapt once we add children into the mix, and be trainable enough that it won't rip my arm off like my childhood dogs did. We currently live in a smaller apartment. We do have a small yard, but it is not fenced in. There's a field near here that we could take a dog to for running and fetch and such, but again, it is not fenced in. What breed works for this situation? We were looking at yorkies, schnauzers, corgis, pugs, and bulldogs. We want to make absolutely sure we find the right fit. Sending a pup back is the worst, and we don't want to have that situation arise!
corgis are great dogs(but i'm biased i have 3) they do tend to go to ground(at least mine do) so you would have to be careful with that.they shed alot but combing them 4-5x a wk for about 15-20 min at a time will help with that.they gain weight quickly but keeping them exercised, watch what you feed them will help that.they nip at your heels but that is there herding instinct, you can break them very easily with some firm no's.now on the positive side-very loyal, loving ,mine love to snuggle.they are very smart and love to train but can get bored very easy, my middle one did.keep the sessions short and different and make it fun for them..mine love the cold weather.because of their long bodies they could have back problems but keeping their wt down helps.they don't tolerate heat very well.i love my dogs,i've had shepards,rotties,cocker spaniels but by far the best dogs i've had are my corgis.just keep in mind  not every dog is the same.good luck with your search.
tanktrouble

QUOTE 12/9/2009 7:01:45 PM
Pugs are great, we used to raise them when I was a teenager, but they do NOT do well in heat.  Plus, the very short snout tends toward breathing problems.  You have to keep the wrinkles clean, too.  Same for the short nosed bulldogs.  I personally like the Papillon when it comes to small dogs.  They have great energy and are a lot of fun.  Many don't like to get their feet wet when it's raining, but others charge right out there.  They (ours anyway) even like to play in snow even though it is a rarity around here (south MS).  They like to be under the covers when it's cold, snuggled up next to you, but are raring to go if you are.  They can be exercised inside very easily with a ball, toy, or laser pointer.  They love to run outside.  They can be a little headstrong at times, but with proper training early are absolutely fantastic.  They (at least ours do) bond quickly with the person who lets them sleep in their bed, not necessarily with the one that feeds them. :-)

Or, how about a mutt?  They are very adaptable. 

brennerandprue

QUOTE 12/16/2009 2:45:04 AM
Hey, just read this article Choosing a Dog Breed, somebody posted this in another category of this forum. Try to read it as it may prove helpful to you.

I think German Shepherd are quite adaptable. They even have that in the Philippines.

Good luck!

Post Reply New Topic