Whippet or Whoodle

Whippet or Whoodle

belle550

QUOTE 11/19/2009 11:22:27 AM
I am new to the site & have done some research in the past 6 months on the type of breed we are looking for as a family.  This is what we are looking for in a dog:

-mid size dog

-athletic

-affectionate

-smart

-relatively easy to train

-low grooming maintenance

-low shedding/low barking

-no health issues

-good with small kids ( we have a 2 and 6 yr old)

-friendly overall dog with strangers and other pets

I spoke with a great whippet breeder---  i think this dog would fit in our family but the only concern is that it is not an "alone" dog---  i do not work but i do go out every now and then for a couple hrs--  is this really no big deal for the dog?  we are a very active family and the dog would be going to parks, runs, etc with us.  But we do go out.

The Whoodle-  I know is not a true pure bred but what is appealing about this dog is that i like that it is the "poodle mix"---  because it won't shed- there is some maintenance but there won't be "fur" all over the place, they are sweet dogs that are affectionate, poodles are very smart so it has 1/2 poodle, i've always liked a wheaten terrier.  Does this breed like to go for runs?  I'm just not as familiar with this breed as the whippet. Are they good "alone" dogs?

so......  any pros or cons to either dog?  we'll probably get a dog next spring.

thanks

winddial

QUOTE 11/19/2009 3:35:51 PM

Quote belle550:

I am new to the site & have done some research in the past 6 months on the type of breed we are looking for as a family.  This is what we are looking for in a dog:

-mid size dog

-athletic

-affectionate

-smart

-relatively easy to train

-low grooming maintenance

-low shedding/low barking

-no health issues

-good with small kids ( we have a 2 and 6 yr old)

-friendly overall dog with strangers and other pets

I spoke with a great whippet breeder---  i think this dog would fit in our family but the only concern is that it is not an "alone" dog---  i do not work but i do go out every now and then for a couple hrs--  is this really no big deal for the dog?  we are a very active family and the dog would be going to parks, runs, etc with us.  But we do go out.

The Whoodle-  I know is not a true pure bred but what is appealing about this dog is that i like that it is the "poodle mix"---  because it won't shed- there is some maintenance but there won't be "fur" all over the place, they are sweet dogs that are affectionate, poodles are very smart so it has 1/2 poodle, i've always liked a wheaten terrier.  Does this breed like to go for runs?  I'm just not as familiar with this breed as the whippet. Are they good "alone" dogs?

so......  any pros or cons to either dog?  we'll probably get a dog next spring.

thanks

What about just a poodle?  The pro's you are applying to the poodle mix, all also apply to a purebred poodle.  Whippets which are sort of like my pet Italian Greyhounds are not the easiest in the world to train.  They aren't dumb dogs but they are very selfish and ask more what you can do for them rather what they can do for you.  They can be emotionally sensitive and are clingy needy creatures.

Poodles are better people pleasers. 
belle550

QUOTE 11/19/2009 9:05:55 PM
I don't envision myself with just the standard poodle.

dihart

QUOTE 11/19/2009 10:51:39 PM
I like the goldendoodles, they are a lovely poodle cross, with the breed traits that you have mentioned. And I see nothing wrong with your dog being alone for a few hours at a time, they will probably sleep most of it away. I hate to see it if it is 8 hours a day every day, and there is no other canine there for company. But just for a few hours at a time is no big deal. Generally speaking the breed enjoys car rides (any individual canine can have motion sickness, but they are not prone to it) and they love the family activities, tend to be quite people and other dog friendly.   
winddial

QUOTE 11/20/2009 1:36:31 PM
Just remember, the crossing of two breeds does not always result in the best of both breeds.  All too often people forget about the possibility of the worst of both breeds and don't find that out until the dog is an adult.  

I know people who breed "designer" or cross breeds but personally, I am not a fan of it.  Thats just my opinion. 
belle550

QUOTE 11/20/2009 1:44:04 PM
I agree--- i would never consider a dog unless i would be home most of the time- it would be very unfair to the dog.  I like the goldendoodle-- i just feel like it could grow to be bigger than i want.  That is why i thought maybe the whoodle--- but you are right-  what if the mix is not the best mix as an adult-- i had not even consider the hybrid dog until i started looking.

i am leaning towards the whippet anyways--- so maybe these suggestions will push it even farther to that direction.

Anyone have a whippet out there???

dihart

QUOTE 11/20/2009 3:45:38 PM

Quote winddial:

Just remember, the crossing of two breeds does not always result in the best of both breeds.  All too often people forget about the possibility of the worst of both breeds and don't find that out until the dog is an adult.  

I know people who breed "designer" or cross breeds but personally, I am not a fan of it.  Thats just my opinion. 
well the "best of the breed" does not always come out even if you have a purebred. I know alot of designer dogs that are very good dogs, very healthy, and I love both the purebred and the designer breed. JMO
winddial

QUOTE 11/20/2009 4:45:40 PM

Quote dihart:

well the "best of the breed" does not always come out even if you have a purebred. I know alot of designer dogs that are very good dogs, very healthy, and I love both the purebred and the designer breed. JMO
Your right, it does not always happen with purebreds either which is exactly my point.  We have a hard enough time predicting a breed that has been bred for 100's or even 1000's of years much less two entirley different breeds from different backgrounds.  The odds of predictability just went from bad to worse.  You can keep your opinion and I will keep mine, fair? 

Belle, I would suggest looking up a whippet forum, are you on Facebook?  There are usually several breed dedicated groups there where you can ask all sorts of questions and people glad to help.  I can't answer 100% as my little guys are not the exact same as a whippet but they are quite similar.  I know what those similarites are but don't know the differences well enough. 
belle550

QUOTE 11/21/2009 1:08:40 PM
yes- i go on facebook from time to time--- do they have a whippet forum on there?

billmargaret0987

QUOTE 12/6/2009 7:08:46 AM
I'd go for Whoodles!

Whoodles do not require much strenuous activity. They are usually seen at home, but they are playful to children. It can be a good pet for you in the future.

Post Reply New Topic