Chihuahua vs. Toy Rat Terrier

Chihuahua vs. Toy Rat Terrier

jlw73

QUOTE 11/15/2009 10:45:13 PM
I had the BEST toy rat terrier who recently passed away. I am lonely and thinking about getting another puppy. My Maggie was very protective of meand just loved to be close and cuddle and I believe that is the same as Chihuahua's.  People always thought of Maggie as a chihuahua in her looks. I have been looking and the only puppies sticking out for me are chihuahua's. Does anyone know if chihuahua's and toy rat terrier are very different in their personality,health,temperment etc?I LOVE little dogs to love & carry. Also does anyone know how hard it is to litter train little dogs?My Maggie passed in Aug. do you think its to soon?I miss her sooooo much :(
jchamp52

QUOTE 11/16/2009 2:16:46 PM

Quote jlw73:

I had the BEST toy rat terrier who recently passed away. I am lonely and thinking about getting another puppy. My Maggie was very protective of meand just loved to be close and cuddle and I believe that is the same as Chihuahua's.  People always thought of Maggie as a chihuahua in her looks. I have been looking and the only puppies sticking out for me are chihuahua's. Does anyone know if chihuahua's and toy rat terrier are very different in their personality,health,temperment etc?I LOVE little dogs to love & carry. Also does anyone know how hard it is to litter train little dogs?My Maggie passed in Aug. do you think its to soon?I miss her sooooo much :(
First off realize my opinion will be just a little bias because I raise Chihuahua and I dearly love them.

You are correct that most Chi love to be right up under their pet human and love to cuddle.

As a rule (not set in stone) Chi tend to be slightly lazy and a Rat Terrier is usually more of an energy bar.

I am not as familiar with the faults in the RT but Chi tend to have have 3 main notiable problems: weak knees, larger soft spots and weak trachea. Be advised the knee and trachea are small breed related and not problems only noted in the Chi breed. The soft spot is a Chi is only a specific item of note (NOT A SIGN OF A PROBLEM)

As for pottie training,  that is different with each puppy....I have had some that were pad trained within a week and I have others that I believe it would have been easier to train a rock. Again, that is not breed related (thank you Lord)

I is not too soon to get another baby....as long as you are not trying to get another Maggie, because NO other puppy will ever be able to measure up to the love of your heart, they will never turn their head the way she did, they will never give you that "u so tupid look" the way she could.  BUT they will love and trust you with all their little hearts and a new puppy will ease the pain and fill the empty spot a little.
jlw73

QUOTE 11/16/2009 3:43:15 PM
Thank You for the reply. No I am not trying to find another Maggie just would LOVE another little puppy to love. Sometimes I feel guilty looking at other dogs and its nice to hear from stranger's their opinions and set my mind at ease.I do love the color's of my Maggie so I am looking for that but always looking at all.

Maggie had a lot of energy when she was a pup but when she hit 3 yrs. she got pretty lazy too-LOL! I guess I'll just keep looking at both and whatever is meant to be will be :)

Thanks again for your input,

Jennifer
eloiss

QUOTE 12/23/2009 9:56:29 PM
**Post removed

Post Reply New Topic