my first dog!

my first dog!

ladybug4

QUOTE 8/4/2009 7:17:17 PM
i'm looking for a medium to large sized dog, good for a family with children, with minimal shedding. I also want one that doesn't require large amounts of daily exercise,

help! thanks :)

engsonb21

QUOTE 8/4/2009 8:26:11 PM
Try the breedmatch

angeliquendad

QUOTE 8/4/2009 8:42:39 PM
Get a boxer... you'll love em.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 8/5/2009 10:03:19 PM

Quote angeliquendad:

Get a boxer... you'll love em.
Except that Boxers do not meet what the person wants.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 8/9/2009 2:43:08 PM

Quote maoseger1010:

Except that Boxers do not meet what the person wants.
As someone who owns  and has owned many Boxers I would disagree with you.

1) They are a perfect Medium/Large dog size.

2) They are great with children and love people. They are the only breed that mentions being good with children in the temperament description of the breed standard.

3)They do shed minimally most of the year except when they get their summer and winter coats. The hair from 3-5 adult Boxers is much less noticeable than a 20 pound Pug.

4)Most require minimal exercise. They are just happy to be around people and laying at someones feet. Of course they do require some exercise, and some individual dogs more than other. All dogs should get a little exercise ore the person may want to just get a stuffed dog.

Of course all these good qualities also come from proper training and socialization. Females also settle down quicker than males and are more reserved.

maoseger1010

QUOTE 8/9/2009 3:02:00 PM

Quote beaglebrat:

As someone who owns  and has owned many Boxers I would disagree with you.

1) They are a perfect Medium/Large dog size.

2) They are great with children and love people. They are the only breed that mentions being good with children in the temperament description of the breed standard.

3)They do shed minimally most of the year except when they get their summer and winter coats. The hair from 3-5 adult Boxers is much less noticeable than a 20 pound Pug.

4)Most require minimal exercise. They are just happy to be around people and laying at someones feet. Of course they do require some exercise, and some individual dogs more than other. All dogs should get a little exercise ore the person may want to just get a stuffed dog.

Of course all these good qualities also come from proper training and socialization. Females also settle down quicker than males and are more reserved.

Of course you can disagree with me.  As someone who has cared for over three hundred different Boxers owned by others, I guess I should  have said "In my opinion, Boxers need more than minimal exercise, good training and shed more than a little. Sure they don't need to be run like a lab and don't shed like a bulldog but they aren't couch potatoes and you will need to vaccum.  They are wonderful and I love the breed but I wouldn't go so far as saying they are the "perfect" medium/large dog.   As a breeder /owner I'm not surpised you feel that way, after all you are a breeder/owner I would hope you would feel that way.   But as someone who does not breed/own, but has had many opprotunites to interact with the breed raised by the hand of many different owners, I feel differently.  Disagreement is a good thing and I always welcome yours. :)
jchamp52

QUOTE 8/9/2009 3:19:25 PM
I am a Chihuahua breeder and my little darlings shed (heavy) about 3 times a year, and trust me...during that time my vacume and I become very , very close friends.

My rug rats are allowed access to the parts of the house with tile flooring - the carpet areas are restricted to my older retired couch potatoes.

During the heavy shedding periods,  I can sweep up enough hair to stuff a small pillow daily.  The rest of the time shedding is in such small amounts that it is hardly noticable.

ADDITION:  Sorry, that did not really answer the original question.  My breed would not be suitable because they are the wrong size.  They are lazy little darlings that are happy to lay/sit in your lap all day so they would require very little exercise.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 8/9/2009 7:42:59 PM

Quote jchamp52:

I am a Chihuahua breeder and my little darlings shed (heavy) about 3 times a year, and trust me...during that time my vacume and I become very , very close friends.

My rug rats are allowed access to the parts of the house with tile flooring - the carpet areas are restricted to my older retired couch potatoes.

During the heavy shedding periods,  I can sweep up enough hair to stuff a small pillow daily.  The rest of the time shedding is in such small amounts that it is hardly noticable.

ADDITION:  Sorry, that did not really answer the original question.  My breed would not be suitable because they are the wrong size.  They are lazy little darlings that are happy to lay/sit in your lap all day so they would require very little exercise.
Do you think the long haired Chihuahua's shed more than the smooth coats? Or the other way around?  Or not differance?
jchamp52

QUOTE 8/9/2009 8:24:53 PM

Quote maoseger1010:

Do you think the long haired Chihuahua's shed more than the smooth coats? Or the other way around?  Or not differance?
Everything I have read state the short coat shed more (????)  I have never really been able to notice a difference.  But to be honest mine all run together so it is sort of difficult to tell who is shedding the most,  especially when 2 or 3 happen to be shedding at the same time.  I have a total of 12 crumb snatchers  (4 are retired couch supervisors, 2 males - father and son  and 6 breeding females) Only 4 are long coat.
bayroo

QUOTE 8/10/2009 10:32:31 AM
I have four long haired Chihuahua's and two Shetland Sheepdogs. The hooeys shed very little in most cases. I do have one female when she gets nervous you can run your hand down her back and get enough hair to knit a sock. There is truly no dog that doesn't shed AT ALL. Except maybe the NAKED breeds.

Where you live in the country will have a great deal to do with how much a dog sheds. Many double coated breeds just "blow their coats" in spring and fall. If you have an indoor dog and have AC your dog will tend to shed year round as this creates an artificial climate. Their body just doesn't have to adapt to long periods of hot and cold. You can always give a coat supplement which will almost eliminate shedding all together. But, brushing your dog whether long haired or short will take care of most of the loose hair. Chihuahuas need no exercise as someone else posted. They are lap dogs and if you get them to chase each other while outside to do their duty then, that is about as much energy you will get out of one. Shelties on the other hand love to run and play. Just make sure that if you get a sheltie, which has always been my favorite for 35 years. You need a fenced in yard. They love to chase things such as squirrels and cats. My vote is for a sheltie with the coat supplement. They love kids, are fantastic watchdogs, no matter what the NextDayPets chart says, and they are EXTREMELY smart and easily housebroken.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 8/10/2009 6:58:18 PM

Quote jchamp52:

Everything I have read state the short coat shed more (????)  I have never really been able to notice a difference.  But to be honest mine all run together so it is sort of difficult to tell who is shedding the most,  especially when 2 or 3 happen to be shedding at the same time.  I have a total of 12 crumb snatchers  (4 are retired couch supervisors, 2 males - father and son  and 6 breeding females) Only 4 are long coat.
Crumb snatchers...lol thats a good one.  Thanks for the info and the laugh.  My girl is a crumb snatcher for sure. :)
jchamp52

QUOTE 8/10/2009 7:14:42 PM

Quote bayroo:

I have four long haired Chihuahua's and two Shetland Sheepdogs. The hooeys shed very little in most cases. I do have one female when she gets nervous you can run your hand down her back and get enough hair to knit a sock. There is truly no dog that doesn't shed AT ALL. Except maybe the NAKED breeds.

Where you live in the country will have a great deal to do with how much a dog sheds. Many double coated breeds just "blow their coats" in spring and fall. If you have an indoor dog and have AC your dog will tend to shed year round as this creates an artificial climate. Their body just doesn't have to adapt to long periods of hot and cold. You can always give a coat supplement which will almost eliminate shedding all together. But, brushing your dog whether long haired or short will take care of most of the loose hair. Chihuahuas need no exercise as someone else posted. They are lap dogs and if you get them to chase each other while outside to do their duty then, that is about as much energy you will get out of one. Shelties on the other hand love to run and play. Just make sure that if you get a sheltie, which has always been my favorite for 35 years. You need a fenced in yard. They love to chase things such as squirrels and cats. My vote is for a sheltie with the coat supplement. They love kids, are fantastic watchdogs, no matter what the NextDayPets chart says, and they are EXTREMELY smart and easily housebroken.
I live in the deep HOT south where you can fry an egg on your sidewalk most summer days!!!  I used to have a garage, but I put in a wall and A/C so the dogs wouldn't melt.

My poor van has to live/sleep out in the open drive way, any day now I expect to go out there and find it has 4 melted tires. 

I have one LC blue female that looks like a hairless rat for about 3 weeks after she weans her litter,  otherwise she has the most beautiful coat of all my LC,  her ear fluffs are a good 6 inches long. 
eloiss

QUOTE 12/23/2009 9:59:39 PM
**Post removed

aussie123

QUOTE 3/7/2011 10:30:08 AM

Quote eloiss:

**Post removed

get a mini aussie they are the most loving dog there is .
birdygirl

QUOTE 4/15/2011 11:20:49 PM

Quote ladybug4:

i'm looking for a medium to large sized dog, good for a family with children, with minimal shedding. I also want one that doesn't require large amounts of daily exercise,

help! thanks :)

I would recommend a Labradoodle. Here's why:

They're medium sized.

They love kids!

They don't shed.

They do need a daily walk, but not daily marathons!

sophia_dave101

QUOTE 1/18/2013 1:50:24 AM
Once you've decided that you are ready to have a dog in your life, the
next step is to choose the right one. But how do you choose your first
dog? There are many things to take into consideration, including the
breed of the dog (what breed and whether you want a purebred or a mix),
what you will do with your dog, and even gender.

Post Reply New Topic