What dog would be best?

What dog would be best?

makedoo

QUOTE 6/18/2009 10:48:24 PM
Hey I really want to know what you think dog is best for me here is what I want.

1.I want an active dog outside but a real snugler inside (I want a full Breed not mix.)

2. I want a dog that will have about
5-8 minutes of grooming or 10.

3. I do not care what size but I would perfer a medium but I am just not sure on that one.I just dont want a huge one like a great dane.

4.We have a boat so I want a dog that is not a big water swimmer but like a trip once in 3 or 2 months I want one I can take.

5. I want one that is really friendly with strangers and not guard all toys.
That is about it thanks for your replys.
leesagallo

QUOTE 6/22/2009 6:16:46 AM
Perhaps something along the lines of a beagle, corgi, or schipperke. These are all medium sized shorter haired dogs. All are family oriented. All will need brushing daily as they tend to shed esp. corgis but I think with your specifications that 1 of these 3 will suit you. Do your research before making a final decision. Good luck in finding your new friend!
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/22/2009 7:22:24 AM
corgis are great dogs.they do tend to shed alot.thye can gain wt easily if you don't excercise them regularly.i groom mine at least 4-5 times a wk about 20-30 min a day.it may seem like alot but it saves you from massive clean up later.my pembroke sheds more than my cardigan,i don'tt know if that will help or not but good luck.
birdieva2002

QUOTE 6/23/2009 12:58:37 AM
You may like a Sheltie. They are medium sized dogs they do require a good weekly brushing but nothing that takes too long. They bond very closely to their owners and love to go with you everywhere mine has been on several boat and kayak rides with me. They are easy to train and very intelligent. They like to run and play a lot when you take them outside but are quite the snuggler when they are inside. They are not possesive and if properly socialized, will be very friendly and outgoing. This is the best dog I have ever had, she is very obedient I get compliments on her everytime we go anywhere. Anyways, its a breed worth reading up on before making your decision!
preethivarma

QUOTE 6/26/2009 2:27:29 AM
Having dogs as pets is really a good thing and so don ever mind about the time taken for grooming your pets.
lovedemdogs

QUOTE 6/27/2009 8:13:52 PM

Quote makedoo:

Hey I really want to know what you think dog is best for me here is what I want.

1.I want an active dog outside but a real snugler inside (I want a full Breed not mix.)

2. I want a dog that will have about
5-8 minutes of grooming or 10.

3. I do not care what size but I would perfer a medium but I am just not sure on that one.I just dont want a huge one like a great dane.

4.We have a boat so I want a dog that is not a big water swimmer but like a trip once in 3 or 2 months I want one I can take.

5. I want one that is really friendly with strangers and not guard all toys.
That is about it thanks for your replys.
Hi there I'm new here but I found some great info for you!

Its a characteristics chart.

Breeds 21-50lbs
http://www.pgaa.com/CANINE/GENERAL/size.html#upto50

Breeds 51-80lbs
http://www.pgaa.com/CANINE/GENERAL/size.html#upto80

Hope this helps!
makedoo

QUOTE 6/28/2009 2:40:13 PM
Thanks for all your replys i am thinking about a corgi but i am not sure
pillypup

QUOTE 6/28/2009 3:49:31 PM
i have looked at some of your post and replys and you seem to love cocker dogs why do you ask for any advice about that
arlothehound

QUOTE 6/29/2009 4:57:31 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track with the specifics you mentioned. What I mean is, you are asking a lot of the right questions. A few things you might consider:

- Check out the BreedMatch link under the Find A Dog tab here at Next Day Pets, that allows you to gauge factors like size, guard dog capability, grooming issues, etc., and then points you in the direction of a few breeds you might want to look into.

-There is an article here on the site that can help you as well. Hover over the Learn and Connect tab, click Dog Articles, and you will find it under General Dog Articles. It is called Choosing the Right Breed.

-The number 1 thing to think about when choosing a dog is energy level/exercise requirements. Being ok with going out on the boat, not protective of toys, good with strangers, and other such concerns can almost all be significantly varied with proper training and socialization. Your biggest concern (other than grooming requirements, which you mentioned and is also quite important) should be the purpose for which the type of dog was bred. If you dont want to spend tons of time exercising your dog, that is going to significantly narrow your search.

eloiss

QUOTE 12/23/2009 9:27:40 PM
**Post removed
Post Reply New Topic