Anyone know about Guinea Pigs?

Anyone know about Guinea Pigs?

beaglebrat

QUOTE 5/29/2009 1:22:39 PM
We purchased a year old Guinea Pig a couple months ago, and since we got her, I swear she has doubled in weight-- but she always seems hungry.

I feed her several times a day and if I don't she yells and whistles at us all the time. Like "hey give me some food!"

I don't want to harm/kill her by over feeding her, but I read something on a website that says they have a high metabolism and you are supposed to keep food in front of them.

We feed her the store bought pellets and then I give her hay, veggies and fruits to supplement.

I don't know. This is my first pig, but to me, I am guessing she is too fat.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/29/2009 9:48:57 PM

Quote beaglebrat:

We purchased a year old Guinea Pig a couple months ago, and since we got her, I swear she has doubled in weight-- but she always seems hungry.

I feed her several times a day and if I don't she yells and whistles at us all the time. Like "hey give me some food!"

I don't want to harm/kill her by over feeding her, but I read something on a website that says they have a high metabolism and you are supposed to keep food in front of them.

We feed her the store bought pellets and then I give her hay, veggies and fruits to supplement.

She is likely bored and not hungry. You may need to put her in a larger pen and give her toys and lots of chew things. My Cavy would cry when she ws bored. I got her a few toys and rotated them, problem solved. :)
velmadobe

QUOTE 5/30/2009 5:41:51 PM

Quote beaglebrat:

we have two guinea pigs here but I'm not expert on them. There are however some good forums out there for guinea pigs - google guinea pig forums and you will find them.
jesse90

QUOTE 6/10/2009 9:10:14 PM
hii have one and i only feed her one tim a day she my be wuting atenchen
makedoo

QUOTE 6/19/2009 11:22:19 AM

Quote beaglebrat:

this site is mainly for dogs but i agree t=with the others she needs toys and stuff she is a baby you said
gbat1stop

QUOTE 6/20/2009 4:47:40 PM

Quote makedoo:

this site is mainly for dogs but i agree t=with the others she needs toys and stuff she is a baby you said
Who says this site is mainly for dogs? This is a "PET" lovers forum not a "DOG" lovers forum. We are open to the discussion of any and all pets it just so happens that the majority of our members have or want a dog.

spottydots

QUOTE 7/5/2010 2:43:04 PM
Mine just dont know when to stop! 
spanglegurl

QUOTE 8/10/2010 6:47:15 PM
Guinea Pigs do tend to overeat. If your feeding your Cavy store bought pellets look in the ingredients. Its best to feed a pellet formula that is Timothy Hay Based, not Alfalfa Based. Kaytee has a Timothy Hay formula, I believe you can find it at Petsmart. You may want to get your g-pig a friend or a play-pen to keep them busy and healthy. Being over weight is not good for their bodies. Males can get rather large, mine is 2lbs 6oz and is healthy. If you cut back on food and your g-pig is still overweight and not very motivated to play swimming is good! Put a couple inches of warm water in your bathtub and SUPERVISE they are like babies you can't leave them there. Pick them up every few min and have something for them to climb on if they need a break. The water is good exercise for them and easy on their joints. Give them new toys to play with in their cage and take them out more for some exercise, if they are bored they will eat and eat and eat. So keep your cavy busy. With Hershey I feed him a handful of Timothy Hay in the morning and then in the afternoon he gets romain lettuce or apple. And before bed he gets a handful of pellets. Good luck with your piggie!!
cannonfarms

QUOTE 11/26/2010 7:29:43 AM
You can put them in a kiddie pool to run around in, they cant jump out, cant say a curious boxer couldnt eat it, so be careful. I guess by now you would know if shes pregnant. Id get another but make sure its a girl

echo_alpha

QUOTE 12/4/2011 5:13:47 PM
keep in mind that they are usually digging in the wild to find food and you are suppplying the food without the exercise.  put some wrist thick natural sticks inside their pen will help them get some working out to balance the food intake since it probably not practical to allow her to burrow and those running wheels don't appeal to all rodents any more than all people like to jog.
tteddyau

QUOTE 3/13/2012 1:35:19 AM
Hi,

I've had a guinea pig (just one, but 3 in total) for the past 14 years. I know mine would always squeal for companionship. A cuddle, a brush or a bath, whatever. there's been times where I've almost bought a companion, but something always stopped me..lol, go figure!

My "Cowboy", is his name, the one I have now, stays inside in the airconditioning during the summer heat. The summer here in Australia is a killer and I'm not going to lose this one from the heat! Anyway, he gets spoilt and people say that he's huge, but I've seen bigger.

He can be a gutts, but only if i let him.

Good luck

TT
jasmine_tay

QUOTE 10/12/2012 5:43:35 AM
Guinea Pigs are cute.. however, I heard that it's pretty difficult to keep them.. Much more work is needed to be done as compare to keeping a dog/cat or hamster.. 
Post Reply New Topic