Papillon with Allergies

Papillon with Allergies

pap4ever

QUOTE 12/20/2011 10:58:11 PM
We have a 2 1/2 yr old male Papillon that started in spring to have massive allergies too  beef, pork, rabbit, kelp, peas, corn, barley, trees, grass..We would like to know what kind of food is recommended for a Papillon. And if any others have allergies like these.We got him when he was 11 mths old these people had him on Iams we got him on to Ukanuba & off the Iams. Someone had suggested we try him on Orijen so we had him on that for 3 mths starting early spring. This is when he started scratching himself until he had lost most the hair on his chest, sides, ears..He had lesions all over him.We have been living at the Vet since early spring. Hes been on quite a few meds and nothing has helped. They did allergy tests as to how we know what all his allergies are. We did start allergy shots but they just make him worse. So we have stopped them. Breaks our heart when you hear him crying when he scratches himself. I have small felt boots on his back feet all the time now so he doesn't do any major damage on himself and he wears T-Shirts we found for him to wear all the time also.
We had him on Hills D & D. 2 weeks ago we stopped at a place in the city near us called Trail Blazers. They suggested we try him on a raw food diet. So since then he has been eating nothing but duck. There is no change he is still scratching. He was 9.2 lbs to start he is down to about 8 lbs now.
We don't know if we are doing the right thing with him. If anyone has any suggestions we would appreciate help. We love him dearly and only want him to be healthy.
kathystone

QUOTE 12/21/2011 2:24:51 AM
 I don't think it is allergies. There is an evil bird mite that tunnels under your dog's skin and is making an appearacnce through out the US. Use Comfortis, revolution or something with ivermectin in it every 2 weeks for 3 months ( Get a big enough dose that you can split it into 6 pieces) The mites do not show up on skin scrapings. The fact that it just popped up in spring is a tell tale sign. There was no problem with IAMS or EUKANUBA before and both are high poiwered foods.  Let us know how it turns out.
dihart

QUOTE 12/21/2011 8:47:24 PM

Quote kathystone:

I don't think it is allergies. There is an evil bird mite that tunnels under your dog's skin and is making an appearacnce through out the US. Use Comfortis, revolution or something with ivermectin in it every 2 weeks for 3 months ( Get a big enough dose that you can split it into 6 pieces) The mites do not show up on skin scrapings. The fact that it just popped up in spring is a tell tale sign. There was no problem with IAMS or EUKANUBA before and both are high poiwered foods.  Let us know how it turns out.
well that is interesting....my cat has basically the same thing, wonder if it could be that also.
Post Reply New Topic