Heart Murmur

Heart Murmur

sitsy

QUOTE 8/13/2011 6:10:25 AM
K this is difficult for me to ask, but here it is. We are bringing our Gus home today for the first time. The breeder called us yesterday, to say the vet found a grade 1 heart murmur. We told her we still want him and we do.

We did some online research and plan to take him to our own vet for a second opinion and we realize that it may have just been the excitement of the car ride and going to the vet. A grade 1 is very low and is subjective.

My question is. Has anyone else gone through this with their Saint Bernard and how has it turned out.

I can't imagin turning away from Gus now. He's already in our hearts.
chrisbee

QUOTE 8/13/2011 10:45:42 AM
Heart Murmurs - If you have a small pup they pup sometimes and usually can grow out of it. You would have to take your pup to a heart cartilogist. To get a detailed report.But if you did get a pup you should have a health guarantee with your puppy . And this is usually covered in your health guarantee. But that is betweeen you and the breeder to work something out.. Feed your puppy well and there is a chance the pup can grow out of it. Since it is low grade.
sitsy

QUOTE 8/13/2011 2:38:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. We will be checking in with our own vet and keeping an eye on things. He's a healthy eater. Right now we are staying with the food the breeder has been feeding him. It's good quality food. Once he settles in to his new home we will slowly introduce him to a higher quality food. He is six weeks old and weighs 6 1/2 pounds. He's a round little fella. The vet said he was very healthy except for the Grade one murmur.
mobullybabies

QUOTE 8/13/2011 8:08:54 PM
If he is only 6 weeks old then there is a VERY large chance he will outgrow it by the time he is 8 - 10 weeks old.    We've had a few pups that had a grade 2 at 6 weeks old and by the time they left us at 8 weeks old it was completely gone.   Even if it doesn't go away a grade 1 is very low and really not much to worry about at all.    Just make sure you keep with your regular vet checks to keep it monitored and you probably won't ever have ANY difficulties with it.
sitsy

QUOTE 8/14/2011 9:54:24 AM

Quote mobullybabies:

If he is only 6 weeks old then there is a VERY large chance he will outgrow it by the time he is 8 - 10 weeks old.    We've had a few pups that had a grade 2 at 6 weeks old and by the time they left us at 8 weeks old it was completely gone.   Even if it doesn't go away a grade 1 is very low and really not much to worry about at all.    Just make sure you keep with your regular vet checks to keep it monitored and you probably won't ever have ANY difficulties with it.
Thank you so much, hat makes me feel loads better. He's already in my heart, we brought him home yesterday. We are kennel training him and last night was his first night sleeping in it. We did all the build up to it. He was playing in it earlier yesterday and would go in and out, but once it was bed time and the door was close....YIKES!

We went through this when we trained our now departed German Short hair. I think he cried for two nights till he caught on.

Gus did sleep for 45 minutes this morning with no vocal complaints from him.

It worried me last night because I kept thinking of the murmur and the fact that he was being stressed out. So I got NO sleep last night. With our Schultz, I knew it was the right thing and didn't let the crying get to me. But with Gus I am worried.

He's having a great day today though :)
Post Reply New Topic