Bad milk???

Bad milk???

mistyrun

QUOTE 12/7/2010 8:45:31 AM
  I have a new litter of Saint pups born Sunday afternoon.  They are not doing so well and I wonder if it has anything to do with moms milk, or if there is anything at all i can do for them.  i've been raising Saints for 7 years and know that some litters are just more lively than others, but these are too lethargic for my liking and keep getting cold.  Two this morning are "on thier way out" and i'm afraid some others will be following in thier footsteps if i don't act fast.  I hate this part of breeding; are there ANY suggestions of what might help?  Mom had a difficult delivery last litter due to oversize water babies and we ended up losing the whole beautiful litter of 11.  Someone thought  maybe her milk was affected as she did have to spend a night in at the vet because of retained matter.  Could it still be infected and poisoning the litter now?  Is there anything to give her and/or the pups to neutralize the milk?
dihart

QUOTE 12/7/2010 9:33:03 AM
I would speak to my vet (immediately) for advice about the milk, but keeping those puppies warm is paramount. Are you using a heating pad or heat lamp? more pups will die from losing their internal temp than any other easily addressed problem. Another thing I would suggest is if you have access to a puppy incubator which gives them oxygen and that is helpful to the babies. those run $100+ but if you save 1 pup you recoup the cost.

I think there is a test paper that they can use with the milk to see if it is good. Seems to me it was much like the one we use on our pool water to test levels. I am not however certain about that so maybe someone else would know better.

I would be bottle feeding too, get milk replacer and bottle feed those babies so that you know they are getting some good milk. I do not like using a nurser bottle, because the puppies have to SUCK to get in the milk and if they are weak, they may not even try.  I use a syringe barrel with one of those yellow plastic nubs on the end like we use when we give the wormer. That way i can see that they are taking in milk. Even an eyedropper type works.....

Maybe your dam needs antibiotics. Call the vet now.

mistyrun

QUOTE 12/7/2010 11:10:32 AM
  We have a heat lamp and small heater and their nest is comfortable to me so i don't know what it is.  i've had pups thrive in colder weather so I can't see why these won't , but I have warmed up the colder ones in warm water and they are alot more active now... the vet wasn't very helpful as far as testing for infected milks so i kinda hit a dead end there.  Guess we'll just try to keep them warm and fed and hope for the best.

thanks for all the helpful advice.
dihart

QUOTE 12/7/2010 2:40:08 PM
     when mine are babies, the room feels hot to me. 85-90 degrees for the first  week. Granted tho, my pups are toy breeds, but I have read and been told by vets at our seminars and that holds for all breeds.

week 1- 85-90 degrees

week 2 -80 degrees

week 3- 75 degrees

week 4- 70 degrees

what is your dams temperature? What does her poop look like?

when mine had a uterine infection and needed antibiotics those were the first indicators, she pooped and it was totally diarrhea and so I took her temp and it was 105. Off we went to the vets immediately at that point.    we lost several pups in the litter until things got figured out, 2 even after we got her on the meds and nearly had to find a surrogate dam to nurse the remaining. That did not happen but I was 1 day away from it and supplemental feeding every 4 hours.

Post Reply New Topic