Tamiflu for parvo

Tamiflu for parvo

dihart

QUOTE 11/22/2010 5:38:28 PM
Once again I want to "shout from the rooftops" that the people drug tamiflu s is saving parvo puppies. There has been an increase of it in certain local areas and I have recently recommended it twice for sick puppies and they both have recovered. It can work and not cost you $1000 which you might spend before and still maybe lose your pup.   we need to let our vets know, if they do not, that tamiflu is having great results for sick parvo puppies. Neither needed IV's either as the dehydration never got to that point. Obviously it's important to start the meds ASAP.

jchamp52

QUOTE 11/22/2010 6:09:20 PM

Quote dihart:

Once again I want to "shout from the rooftops" that the people drug tamiflu s is saving parvo puppies. There has been an increase of it in certain local areas and I have recently recommended it twice for sick puppies and they both have recovered. It can work and not cost you $1000 which you might spend before and still maybe lose your pup.   we need to let our vets know, if they do not, that tamiflu is having great results for sick parvo puppies. Neither needed IV's either as the dehydration never got to that point. Obviously it's important to start the meds ASAP.

Sadly, many vets DO know about Tamiflu but simply do not mention it because if the client were to use it, they could loose a huge amount of income.

Or it could be they truely do not believe that tamiflu will work as well as their expensive methods will.

I now keep tamiflu in stock - along with clavamox, marque and panicur!
dihart

QUOTE 11/23/2010 10:29:04 AM
   well this is why we need to let the puppy owners know, they can forcefully request their vet to prescribe it for them.  Knowledge is power, and tamiflu WORKS for parvo puppies!

cannonfarms

QUOTE 11/23/2010 2:13:34 PM
I recommend it  be used with Pavaid or Parvo guard as those are great options before the tamiflu, I was out of the veterinary loop when they started using that so logically  I can see where it works but have never seen it work

dihart

QUOTE 11/24/2010 11:47:28 PM
can you give me any other info on "Pavaid or Parvo guard" i have not heard of those things before.

cannonfarms

QUOTE 11/25/2010 9:41:25 AM
google is your friend :)

dihart

QUOTE 11/25/2010 7:18:53 PM
I will be looking that up then

beaglebrat

QUOTE 11/28/2010 5:01:02 PM
I would also DEMAND Tamiflu if my puppies had Parvo.  We had some with it 4-5 years ago and we only lost 1 puppy that had went too septic to bring back-- and we had several litters of different ages in our house at that time.  It could have been really bad.

We have never had a problem with it again, because we vaccinate all of our puppies with NEOPAR at 5 weeks, right when we start weaning and they are at their most vulnerable to catch it.  We also do not allow any visitors until after the puppies have had the Neopar vaccine. 

It is a lot easier to prevent it than to treat it, but I know sometimes these things are unavoidable, despite best efforts.  I think one of the scariest places to take your puppy is to the vet because that is where all the sick puppies go!

akmb2011

QUOTE 11/29/2010 6:03:24 PM
How can I get a supply of Tamiful as a just in case?
dihart

QUOTE 11/30/2010 7:30:28 AM
your vet can give you a prescription for it.

dihart

QUOTE 2/2/2012 5:24:29 PM
Had occasion to talk to a vet today, not one I normally use, but a vet none the less....heard her talking on the phone to a pet owner about a pup  that I thought could have had parvo given the way they were talking.  I was sitting in an exam room, door open, and could easily hear what was being said on this end. Several minutes later I asked the office lady who was checking me out, if it was a parvo case and asked her if they had ever heard about using tamiflu to treat parvo pups. She asked the vet, who happened to be passing by going into another exam room, about tamiflu,  and the vet just blew off the idea or any discussion about it, said "no, I treat with penicillin and"...something else, cant remember exactly what. personally i thought it was pretty rude of her to not even show any interest, and shortsighted. 
kathystone

QUOTE 2/2/2012 7:07:59 PM
 I can make you laugh. Read the posts about the "dishonest breeders" who sell pupies with rocks in their gut.

Here is another one. A woman called me in tears because her dog was very sick and she needed help. She did not have $250 for treatment so she was looking for advice on what to do.  Her dog was scooting his rear end across the carpet and something brown and smelly came out. Her "vet" diagnosed it as a severe case of coca liquida and told her she would have to leave her dog for the day while he express the foul liquid out and then irrigated the area.  Total cost $250. So I called the vet and asked about my sister's dog.  He said the dog had clogged anal glands and while they were NOT INFECTED, they could be so he wanted to express them and then wath the dog's rear end. I asked what he washed it with and he said just soap and water.

That was a month ago and the dog is fine. It is terrible how there are some really scummy vets out there.
tnc11

QUOTE 2/3/2012 3:49:58 AM
We brought a puppy back from Parvo with Gentamicin and medicine to keep her from throwing up. She has made a full recovery and is now THRIVING :)
I hadnt thought about Tami Flu but will deff have some on hand from now on out, Living in the country its untelling what a cat or dog can drag into the yard/house.
tnc11

QUOTE 2/3/2012 3:51:43 AM
Might I also add this was all at our home. Our vet prescribed the meds and Dixie stayed at home comfortable in her own kennel :) She was much happier that way. Banamine for pain was also used, its a pain killer that last for 24 hours.
dihart

QUOTE 2/3/2012 10:07:52 AM
  I will look Gentamicin up.  We love our puppies &  are thankful for anything that combats parvo.
dsn0207

QUOTE 3/16/2012 3:21:38 PM

Quote jchamp52:

Sadly, many vets DO know about Tamiflu but simply do not mention it because if the client were to use it, they could loose a huge amount of income.

Or it could be they truely do not believe that tamiflu will work as well as their expensive methods will.

I now keep tamiflu in stock - along with clavamox, marque and panicur!
thats not good for our pups if htey wont "come to the light"
lizzyblack

QUOTE 10/16/2012 12:09:13 AM
im in sanantonio tx and have recently ran into an issue with m
y vet  whom has been my vet for many years and for many dogs. long story short brought in a pup with parvo of course i let them admit him two days into treatment and nine hundred dollars later there looks to be no improvement here matter a fact he came in still eating and drinking and now he wont even lift his head. hes having problems breathing and they still wont prescribe tamiflu. not that it would do any good now. im at a loss for words my heart is broken and i think i just wanna take him home with me and curl up and die next to him.
jameschristopherlawson

QUOTE 7/12/2013 12:43:43 AM
All this internet hype about tamiflu is a bunch of B.S. I used it on two dogs and it doesnt work.just face it.if you cant take your dogs to the vet then they will die.My last two dogs just died from listening to these idiots saying tamiflu work.The internet only speaks lies,Take your dog for real medicine from the vet.
dihart

QUOTE 7/12/2013 11:27:21 AM

Quote jameschristopherlawson:

All this internet hype about tamiflu is a bunch of B.S. I used it on two dogs and it doesnt work.just face it.if you cant take your dogs to the vet then they will die.My last two dogs just died from listening to these idiots saying tamiflu work.The internet only speaks lies,Take your dog for real medicine from the vet.
James, I am sorry to hear that your pups did not have a good result with tamiflu. If you read the post directly above yours, you will see one who did take her dog to the vet and traditional meds did not work for her. It is not a guarantee and certainly depends on how soon they get treatment. Some people cannot afford the $1000 traditional meds/treatment cost, so tamiflu is much cheaper to try and I know that it does work, tho obviously not all the time. I do not know the specifics of your pups case. Keeping puppies vaccinated in a timely manner and schedule is the best preventive action, and certainly much less cost and stress and injury to everyone involved, humans and canines alike.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 9/30/2013 11:56:46 AM

Quote jameschristopherlawson:

James, I don't know who ever said not to take your dogs in to the vet, but you misunderstood. I got my Tamiflu from my vet and I am extremely experienced in vet care. Tamiflu wasn't the ONLY thing I used, but one of many. I threw the kitchen sink at them and it worked.

With out Tamiflu I think the death rate is like 90% once they get Parvo, so your dogs would likely have died either way. Just so you know. Parvo is something best treated with prevention. All of my dogs are vaccinated and it's only young puppies that are at risk.
Post Reply New Topic