hypoglycemia

hypoglycemia

kathystone

QUOTE 11/11/2010 3:02:38 PM
 I am having a problem with a very tiny yorkie who is 6 weeks old. She is still nursing but has had 2 bouts with hypoglycemia. She is eating canned food(purina mealtime) and some nutrical but continues to crash and burn almost daily. My vet said it is "normal" for these tiny pups.  She is in a warm room on a heating pad with a place she can get off the heating pad itf she is too warm. She does not play but sits there. Suggestions? Her brother is fine. He plays like a maniac. I am keeping them separate escept when she eats which is every 3 hours.
dihart

QUOTE 11/12/2010 2:11:12 PM
has the vet checked her over yet? make sure she does not have a heart murmur? You could try a tiny bit of sugar in her water. but I think you are doing the other things that one would do. 

kathystone

QUOTE 11/12/2010 4:10:09 PM
 She must have had something else wrong too. I took her to the her last night and they called this morning to say she had passed. They suggested a necropsy to be sure. She never was as active as the others. I would not doubt there were heart or lung problems. 

Here in Missouri they passed a law that will put most commercial breeders out of business. She came from a commercial kennel that downsized and moved away a month ago. She was too small to transport according to the USDA so she, her brothers, her mom and six other dogs with pups were donated to our rescue.  I agree there are bad breeders out there but there are alot of good ones who take good care of their dogs. If they did not, they would be out of business because theri dogs would not produce.
runningridge

QUOTE 2/1/2013 11:49:10 PM
Always be sure the puppy eats along with whatever sugar intake you are giving it as FOOD generates it's own sugar and will stay in their system longer.  We give Applesauce mixed with Honey and puppies love it.  Yogurt or Cottage Cheese is a favorite of puppies as well. 
Post Reply New Topic