HELP DID VET GIVE RIGHT MEDS PARVO

HELP DID VET GIVE RIGHT MEDS PARVO

jennluvroxi

QUOTE 10/29/2010 12:06:25 AM
I just joined Please respond quickly, running out of time. My puppy vomited one time last night. and one bout of diareah with 4 lil spots, (tan&like soft pudding concistincy) I woke up went to vet   today ,cannot afford quote. I go home and read about home remedy for parvo---By 4 pm shes not looking better and im heartbroken, cannot let her suffer. I go back to vet , my Roxi tested positive for parvo and i was perscribed "albon"But on-line it say's it 'causes nausea and vomiting , i am reading sites that says vet should give "Tamiflu" Anybody heard of this, i can't bear to lose her, I just lost my dog of 14 years 6 mo.ago from old age,I really love my new puppy---any help out there?
kathystone

QUOTE 10/29/2010 12:32:46 AM
 Albon is a general antibiotic for sulfa drug bacteria like cocci.When was your puppy last wormed? Usually with parvo the stool is dark brown and/or bloody. With hookworms it is tan with blood spots in it on may occassions. The titer test is the best way to test for prvo but it can sometimes read a false positive especially if your pupy has been vaccinated. Can you take a fresh stool sample in for testing for worms? That would rule hooks out. Make sure your baby is eating. I like chicken noodle soup for dogs that are slow to eat or drink. They like it and it rehydrates them as well as gives them something easy to digest. Let us know how your baby is doing.
jennluvroxi

QUOTE 10/29/2010 1:26:02 AM

Quote kathystone:

Albon is a general antibiotic for sulfa drug bacteria like cocci.When was your puppy last wormed? Usually with parvo the stool is dark brown and/or bloody. With hookworms it is tan with blood spots in it on may occassions. The titer test is the best way to test for prvo but it can sometimes read a false positive especially if your pupy has been vaccinated. Can you take a fresh stool sample in for testing for worms? That would rule hooks out. Make sure your baby is eating. I like chicken noodle soup for dogs that are slow to eat or drink. They like it and it rehydrates them as well as gives them something easy to digest. Let us know how your baby is doing.
I wormed her at 9 weeks and 13weeks and again at 17 weeks.  vet today gave1 ccmetoclopramide every 6 hrs,2cc pedmycin every 6 hrs, and the 3cc albon today and 2 cc in 24 hrs.  he took a stool sample with long q-tip came back in 10 min with diagnosis . roxi only had 4 lil spots of poop tan in color one spot had a little red and small spot of green (my son had salsa day before, initially i thought she just got into salsa)but did see a little mucus spots opaque in col;or he vet also said give one eighth cup gatorade i will have har time she dosent like that syringe , i hate to stress her when she does not feel well, i was quoted 1 to 2 thousand to put her in hospital for iv drip.not an option for me,  im low income on disability, i borrowed this 175.00 thank you for your reply im going to try getting some soup down her, oh yeah i heard to give them dextrose?isnt that sugar? thanks for your help, i really blew it ,i will never get a puppy again without going straight to vet even if i have to borrow the money, i cant stand seeing her so sick.  jenni
mobullybabies

QUOTE 10/29/2010 4:57:02 PM
Parvo can be VERY hard to get over even when left at the vet, much less when you take the puppy home.      If I were you I would call around to other vets in the area and get price quotes.     We use two different vets on a regular basis, they are usually about the same cost but there are a few things they differ on greatly.   I just priced the EXACT same surgery at both of them and one charges $325.00 and the other wanted almost $1100.00 - for the exact same thing!    Check around and explain your predicament and see what other vets say, sometimes they will agree to give out a little credit in emergency situations.      Parvo is scary and can get much worse, it can be a deadly condition.    If you bring another animal into your home after this please make sure you wait until they have had all their parvo vaccines as parvo can stick around for years in your carpet, yard and everywhere else.   
leemct

QUOTE 10/31/2010 2:35:31 PM
I can almost guarantee that this puppy will die without IV fluids.  Parvo is a virus and even though

antibiotics are given to ward off secondary infections it will not cure Parvo. Death is usually caused due to fluid loss. If the puppy is vomiting he cannot receive fluids by mouth . Even antibiotics and meds such as Centrine (to tighten the stool and relieve cramping) must be by injetion .

What shots has this puppy had. If he made it to 17 weeks he should have been OK  In CA which is loaded with Parv I give Parvo shots every 2 week to 20 weeks . My puppies start at 4 weeks with Parvo , have distemper measles  parinfluenza shots at 4 and 6 weeks and combination dhpp shots at 8,10,12,and 16 weeks.  This routine I have been doing for over 15 years after talking to the head Vets. at the Baker Institute , Cornel University . It was there that the virus was discovered and the vaccines created. I am in a kennel area which is now almost all rescues bringing in dogs from the pounds . Raising the chance of exposure very high 

You might check with local animal charities to see if you could get a grant or some assistance.

grisnmikey

QUOTE 11/1/2010 12:27:28 AM
Your puppy needs to be hydrated..give him/her pedialiate every 2-3 hrs..they need it wspecially with parvo..try and keep them eating but aking sure the puppy is keeping it down..if the puppy is vomiting give him more time..iv fluids would be alot of help but it is not going to guarantee your puppy making it through..i used to work at a veterinary clinic and use to take care of parvo cases...parvo can be carried around on your clothes and shoes, the only way to get rid of it is bleach..
dihart

QUOTE 11/1/2010 1:02:38 PM
tamaflu does work for parvo puppies, so that is a possibility if you can afford it. Not sure what the charge would be for the amount you will need, but yes it does work on Parvo puppies if they are caught soon enough. Time is off the utmost importance. Your vet can write you a perscription. 
Post Reply New Topic