Red Mange

Red Mange

georgiagrace

QUOTE 9/4/2010 6:32:40 PM
I purchased a registered English Bulldog puppy from this site. We have had her about 7 weeks. The vet informed us she has red mange. What is the right thing for us as owner and the seller to do?? 
kathystone

QUOTE 9/4/2010 7:28:39 PM
 Mange is caused by a  mite. Some dogs carry the mite on their skin naturally. Bull dogs are famous for skin conditions to begin with. Red Mange is actually easy to clear up. Many of the flea preparations like advantage plus, or frontline plus  kill lice. Ivermectin is great for red mange too. Using the topical flea preparations about every 10 days for 3 months will get rid of it in most cases.

If your bull dog gets a FUNGUS infection use antibacterial dish soap (NOT AROUND THE EYES  ) followed by a moisturizing cream rinse.Some of the athlete's foot sprays work well on skin fungus but again, not around the eyes.Corn starch works well around the wrinkles of the nose. Use a q-tip to apply it in the wrinkle so it stays out of the eyes You want to keep the wrinkles free from moisture so the fungus does not start in the first place.

I am sure there are alot of bulldog breeders and owners who can also help you out. They are an expenseive pet to keep and maintain but bring so much joy it is worth it.
leemct

QUOTE 9/17/2010 2:20:41 PM
This mange is also  called Demodextic . All dogs carry this mite. Some if under stress with cause this mite to appears. It is not contageous. Most will recover on their own . However some may not.  I would contact the breeder to let him know about the problem. If it is localized (small amount ) it is not usually a problem . or considered a genetic problem If gereralised (all over the body ) it may be a problem in the bloodline and should never be bred. About 90%  will recover with proper care from your Veterinarian.   
beaglebrat

QUOTE 9/18/2010 8:35:55 PM
Demodex can be pretty awful to treat, especially in immune-suppressed breeds.  Like Boxers, Bulldogs, and Pits.  There are a few things you should do. 

Try to boost the immunity while killing the mites.  That may mean vitamins, suppliments, and antibiotics.

For killing mites I think now most vets prescribe the flea treatment Promaris given every 2 weeks for a minimum of 3 doses.  Most people choose to keep them on Promaris monthly after that.

Should the Promaris not work, another treatment had been Ivermectin given daily for 21-30 days.  I have never seen that not work, but I have heard in really bad cases where it just wouldn't clear up and the dog getting constant secondary infections to the point they needed to be put down, but that was at least 5 years ago, before Promaris.

As far as what the Breeder should do.... most breeders do not cover mange. It is something that may be genetic, or it can just crop up in 1 puppy out of a litter of 8 when neither parents or any of the other puppies have had a problem with it.  If a puppy had a rough start and a poor immune system, they can get it, and I don't consider that genetic.

If you purchased the dog specifically for breeding, that is a different story.  You should probably ask for the puppy to be replaced-- if it is the generalized, and it if you have a contract that will cover that.  A few tiny spots that go away quickly and the dog is likely sound for breeding.  Really it is kind of a gray area.

I can tell you that I have purchased at least 4 Boxers over the past 10 years, 2 littermates from one breeder. All had really bad generalized demodex and I spayed them, placed them as pets and lost a ton of money.  I didn't get replacements, because with the breeders I was working with, I knew that any replacement was just going to come from the same defective lines. 

Crap happens though.  There are 100 reasons why a puppy you purchase at 8 weeks may not be fit to breed as a 2 year old dog.

Post Reply New Topic