Parvo

Parvo

rayray2006

QUOTE 8/5/2010 1:19:19 PM
I have a situation I need advice on...  I received a call from a buyer yesterday stating their puppy that they just received from us 5 days ago has Parvo.  Neither of the other two puppies in the litter have it.  Based on the incubation time for Parvo, they say the puppy got it while in our care.  None of this really makes sense to me.  Our puppies are kept in a very clean environment, we vaccinate according to the schedule recommended by our vet and we have never/nor have any other dogs that have Parvo.  Has anyone ever had an experience like this before?  Furthermore, in our health guarantee we state that for the guarantee to be valid the buyer has to have the puppy seen by a vet within 72 hours of delivery, which the buyer did not do.  We also state that we only cover genetic, life-threatening, non-treatable conditions and we do not cover medical expenses after the puppy has left our care.  However, seeing as they are saying it had to have gotten the Parvo while in our care, I feel like I am responsible to refund them their money.  Any suggestions?  We have never had anything like this happen before and I am just at a loss. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
splitoakkennels

QUOTE 8/5/2010 4:17:32 PM
personally I would advise them to bring the pup back and have your vet take a look at it. If this is not possible then I would ask them for the vet's contact information and verify what he told them. If in fact this pup did contract parvo discus this with their vet and then your vet maybe conference call to find out how this could have occured. Do NOT take their word for it that the pup has parvo. It could very well have a virus like pnumonia which is similar looking to parvo also it may have coccidia which can also take on some semblance of parvo. either way I would ask for proof from their vet and talk to thier vet directly about this.

rayray2006

QUOTE 8/5/2010 7:04:34 PM
The puppy was shipped many states away so bringing the puppy back isn't an option while it is in its current condition.  The buyer said the puppy tested positive for parvo.  I requested that their vet contact ours and supply supporting documents of the condition so we can find out for sure that is in fact what is going on.  The only symptom the buyer told me about was that the puppy was lethargic. 
vadoglover

QUOTE 8/5/2010 7:49:07 PM
I would insist on a blood test.  A symptom of lethargy is not necessarily Parvo.  We had a puppy from a shelter who did have Parvo.  I can tell you that the distinctive characteristic of Parvo is the incredible smell of their vomit and feces.  It is such a piercing, rancid smell like no other.  Once you've been exposed to that, you never forget it.  Our puppy survived with treatment but it is very expensive.  We had the puppy about 2 wks before symptoms showed up.  We were certain that our pup got the Parvo from the county shelter.  I bet your pup does not have Parvo. 

vadoglover

QUOTE 8/5/2010 7:49:22 PM
I would insist on a blood test.  A symptom of lethargy is not necessarily Parvo.  We had a puppy from a shelter who did have Parvo.  I can tell you that the distinctive characteristic of Parvo is the incredible smell of their vomit and feces.  It is such a piercing, rancid smell like no other.  Once you've been exposed to that, you never forget it.  Our puppy survived with treatment but it is very expensive.  We had the puppy about 2 wks before symptoms showed up.  We were certain that our pup got the Parvo from the county shelter.  I bet your pup does not have Parvo. 

rayray2006

QUOTE 8/5/2010 8:27:18 PM
I'm very anxious to hear from our vet to find out more details.  The buyer said the puppy was tested and did test positive for Parvo.  Perhaps the puppy did have other symptoms but they haven't mentioned that to me.  After they threatened to sue me if I didn't refund their money or pay half of the vet bill, I ceased communication until our vet validates the condition.
kathystone

QUOTE 8/5/2010 9:52:50 PM
 It is NOT unusual to get a false positive on the parvo test currently being used. Also, some  vets jump to a conclusion when there is vomiting and bloody diarhea that it is worms or parvo. That said, IAMS and EUKANUBA are currently being recalled for salmonella. And  salmonella will cause a false positive for parvo. The symptoms are the same. Is the stool black and tarry with blood? With parvo, it is usually brownish red instead. P&G is trying to keep their recall quiet. Schmucks!

I had healthy puppies playing in the yard on monday. Wednesday there were two who were abit slower. My vet said hypoglycemia and coccidia. Maybe but he did not do the test AND I have never seen black stool with coccidia. He treated them wiht albon at 3pm. They were dead at 6pm the same night. As rhe week went by more died. He did not want to necropsy any so I sent one to the lab at the university. It came back negative for both parvo and coccidia but they could not tell what killed the little guy.

This morning I have 14 pups buried. Then a friend emailed me about IAMS. I feed the small dog puppy. I am heartbroken and seithing mad! There is NO WHERE on the internet about the recall until I went to iams.com this evening and then it is just a "precautionary meassure" recall of food tainted with salmonella.
rayray2006

QUOTE 8/6/2010 10:22:48 AM
Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your puppies.  Thank you so much for the information about the dog foods.  I'm going to relay the info to our vet and to the buyer.  I always recommend Iams to our puppy buyers so maybe this is culprit.
dihart

QUOTE 8/6/2010 11:37:58 AM
OMG I just stopped feeding IMES about a month ago. Thank God! I too had reccommended Imes as a decent food, but recently have become disillusioned with the commercial brands that are on the market, even those that are hailed as "good for the life of your pet", &  have been on a quest for a better dog food and believe I have found one. But before that it was Imes and I have been weaneing a litter of pug babies and had Inot changed foods, they would have been eating that. Oh Lord......

and Kathy,  so sorry to hear about the loss of your puppies. What a tragic occurance, especially due to food, adn a food that you belived was a good quality for your puppies. You have my sympathy and are in my prayers.   
katiekat33

QUOTE 8/7/2010 1:44:28 AM
Kathy, I am so sorry to hear about your puppies.  I cannot imagine how brokenhearted you must feel!

Also, I feel bad for the original poster.... that would be tough to have a sick puppy who is already with his family. It's hard to trust someone else and their vet, when all you want to do is see the puppy for yourself!

Is it the Iams vet foods that are recalled?  I feed Iams small breed food and didn't see it on the list....
kathystone

QUOTE 8/7/2010 7:30:42 AM
 From the IAMS website it is ALL iams and EUKANUBA dry dog foods including small breed puppy.
rayray2006

QUOTE 8/10/2010 3:45:20 PM
The puppy ended up passing away.  I'm very sad about this.  Our vet has still not heard from their vet and here it is 6 days after the diagnosis was made....
sandramichelle

QUOTE 8/12/2010 7:59:33 PM

Quote kathystone:

It is NOT unusual to get a false positive on the parvo test currently being used. Also, some  vets jump to a conclusion when there is vomiting and bloody diarhea that it is worms or parvo. That said, IAMS and EUKANUBA are currently being recalled for salmonella. And  salmonella will cause a false positive for parvo. The symptoms are the same. Is the stool black and tarry with blood? With parvo, it is usually brownish red instead. P&G is trying to keep their recall quiet. Schmucks!

I had healthy puppies playing in the yard on monday. Wednesday there were two who were abit slower. My vet said hypoglycemia and coccidia. Maybe but he did not do the test AND I have never seen black stool with coccidia. He treated them wiht albon at 3pm. They were dead at 6pm the same night. As rhe week went by more died. He did not want to necropsy any so I sent one to the lab at the university. It came back negative for both parvo and coccidia but they could not tell what killed the little guy.

This morning I have 14 pups buried. Then a friend emailed me about IAMS. I feed the small dog puppy. I am heartbroken and seithing mad! There is NO WHERE on the internet about the recall until I went to iams.com this evening and then it is just a "precautionary meassure" recall of food tainted with salmonella.
Kathy:

Thanks so much for the info!!! I went to the site but did not see anything that stated all dry foods being recalled.  What I seen was the speciality foods.   I am feeding several puppy's the eukanuba small breed puppy. Please tell where you seen this ..  I am more that a little freaked right now!!
kathystone

QUOTE 8/12/2010 9:49:38 PM
 Walletpop.com : Iams and eukanuba pet food recall expanded to ALL iams and eukanuba products. avma.org has all eukanuba and Iams specialty products listede as well as others.
katiekat33

QUOTE 8/12/2010 9:52:43 PM
rayray, I'm sorry the puppy passed away. How devastating for you and the people who had the puppy.

I called the company that distributes our IAMS dog food and asked if they had checked on the recall.  My rep. told me that they were instructed to check every UPC code they had against the recall list, and none of their food was on the list.  I know that what she told me is true, because I checked myself before I ever called my distributor. I wanted to double-check myself.

It's not all of the IAMS/Eukanuba; it's the specialty kinds.
sandramichelle

QUOTE 8/14/2010 5:53:48 PM

Quote sandramichelle:

Kathy:

Thanks so much for the info!!! I went to the site but did not see anything that stated all dry foods being recalled.  What I seen was the speciality foods.   I am feeding several puppy's the eukanuba small breed puppy. Please tell where you seen this ..  I am more that a little freaked right now!!
I did call and talk to my supplier and also to Eukanuba/Iams  personal.

There are a few foods being recalled all coming from one plant.  The naturally wild  and the sensitive skin.  All of these foods are only available from your vet.  Retail store foods are not effected.   I do feel much better now! 

jennluvroxi

QUOTE 10/29/2010 12:40:24 AM

Quote kathystone:

Im so very confused, My vet did a stool sample , my puppy tested positive for parvo He gave me albon? another friend of a vet said he should have given me tamiflu . do i call in the am and ask for different meds? Im sure that would offend him since hes the vet.  so scared for  my puppy. i just joined site to get answers, im upset not knowing what to do and running out of time. she started looking "not herself " yesterday . i just hope i'm doing the right thing---any clues?
Post Reply New Topic