Kidney Stones

Kidney Stones

jchamp52

QUOTE 9/21/2009 10:13:38 PM
One of my pets is recovering from struvite kidney stone surgery. The vet started her on C/D. I am not a big fan of Science Diet food, and Ms Precious has made her opinion well know. I have researched the net and am now completely confused!

There are only a few alternative options of can feed I can use.

If anyone has had good luck with a specific brand could you please post it so I can try it on my girl?  P L E A S E be specific with the name and brand. 

I believe Royal C makes a feed for after kidney surgery...but without a specific name I feel like a non drinker looking for a beer -- really had to choose.
dorieellwell

QUOTE 12/6/2009 7:42:48 PM
I think you should give your dog specialized diet particularly home food to prevent kidney stones from occurring. Still balanced diet is important. You should send your pet to your veterinarian for further analysis.

brennerandprue

QUOTE 12/15/2009 4:25:41 AM
Let your baby drinks lots of water. It says here " All stones are less likely to form if your pet has free access to water and frequent opportunities to urinate."

"Some diets recommended for dogs that produce oxalate stones are CNM's (Purina) NF diet, Hills U/D and K/D diets and Waltham's Low Protein Diet. If at all possible feed the canned form of this diet rather than the dry form because dogs rarely drink enough water after eating dry kibble to make up for the water consumed in canned foods. Just be especially sure to brush you dog's teeth when feeding canned diets. Do not feed human table foods in any apreciable quantity. "

You can read it all here Kidney and Bladder stones in dogs and cats

Good luck!

jchamp52

QUOTE 12/15/2009 11:15:00 PM
Thanks to everyone that helped.  I finally settled on caned California Natural for Miss Picky, she really enjoys the taste of the food and it had good reviews on the quality of the ingredients.

We make a monthly trip to the vet for Miss P to tinkle on the strip (to check her levels) so far she is doing great. We will soon be able to reduce the frequency of the vet trips - if she keeps doing well.
alryan

QUOTE 12/16/2009 3:23:02 AM
Don't forget to let her drink plenty of water :-)

jchamp52

QUOTE 12/16/2009 4:39:05 AM

Quote alryan:

Don't forget to let her drink plenty of water :-)

Miss Picky has me so well trained I even flavor her water with honey to coax her to drink more....now tell me if that isn't a good trained pet human  :-)
brennerandprue

QUOTE 12/17/2009 6:22:01 AM
hahaha, is it working? If it does I will have to try it on our dogs too.

ryanwc

QUOTE 12/17/2009 10:59:54 AM
You can also try a cranberry based supplement for kidney stones.
Post Reply New Topic