Shih Tzu has Diarrhea =(

Shih Tzu has Diarrhea =(

sarahukuk

QUOTE 9/5/2009 6:54:03 PM
Hi don't know if anyone can give me advice..... my 1yr old shih tzu has diarrhea, he had it when he was tiny and the vet gave him some worm tablets and some paste stuff that he had twice a day, now hes older i do keep his worming up as being a puppy i know hes gonna eat anything that doesnt move lol, but he seems to have diarrhea quiet alot,  ive done the starving thing for 24hrs and the chicken and rice for a few days which always work, but as soon as i give him canned food or certain dry food he has it again, he does have a tendency to eat grass leaves and wood, which ive noticed in his poo (yuck).

Any advice would be grateful, as my vet always says the same thing sensitive tummy and the chicken an rice diet

Thanks Sarah x
katiekat33

QUOTE 9/6/2009 11:20:19 AM
You can also mix boiled hamburger, rice, and dog food together to soothe an upset tummy. You might also ask your vet about using Panacur for six days to see if that will help.
ena@.

QUOTE 9/7/2009 2:32:48 AM
You should check with your vet before you try this.Put a supplument in your dogs food or give him milk.It worked when my Shih Tzu had diarrhea,and wouldn't eat.
adogloverusa

QUOTE 9/7/2009 11:20:30 AM
Considering this has been ongoing, I would suspect coccidia; very common in puppies and Albon is a great cure; it is easy to give, dogs love the taste, but you need to give it for at least 5 days consecutively; probably 7 would be better. It is a prescription item so would need to get from a vet and he would probably want to stool check to determine the parasite. Other wormers don't get the coccidia parasite.
logancreekkennel

QUOTE 9/7/2009 1:01:39 PM
Most dogs over 12 wks of age have developed immunity against coccidia. It is very unlikely that this is the cause of your dogs diarrhea. Since you say it is triggered by certain foods your dog may be sensitive to the ingredients in them. If you are feeding a high protein dog food you might try lowering the protein content to around 20%. There also is no need to ever feed your dog canned dog food as it is mostly water and not good for the dogs teeth.
runningridge

QUOTE 9/13/2009 2:03:30 PM
If the Chicken and Rice formula works then I would advise you to get the Chicken and Rice formula dry dog food and stick with it if it stops the diarrhea.

Canned dog food isn't known for it's FIBER content so chances are that he has diarrhea due to lack of fiber to maintain a solid stool.
gabeandbelle

QUOTE 9/14/2009 10:22:57 PM
Sometimes canned pumpkin will work on stomach problems. I would give him/her 2 tablespoons 2x a day for 5 days.
runningridge

QUOTE 9/15/2009 5:42:57 PM

Quote gabeandbelle:

Sometimes canned pumpkin will work on stomach problems. I would give him/her 2 tablespoons 2x a day for 5 days.
I've had Pumpkin work before on loose stools that wasn't connected to a medical condition as well so it's well worth the try if his/her vet isn't able to correct the

problem.
auntieoftwo

QUOTE 9/16/2009 5:43:50 PM
I'm dealing with the same issue for my 14 month old Havanese. I took him completely off can food.

I got this advise from a local breeder (and it works like a charm). 100% pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) and greek style yogurt (Rowdy likes the "honey" flavor).  My dog is only 8 lbs so I give him about 1 tbsp of each in the morning and evening wrapped around some boiled chicken. After one go around his poop is already firm.

Hope this works for you.
luvmy3tzus

QUOTE 9/20/2009 3:02:38 PM
Hi,

I have several friends who have the same issues.  They have been to the  vet numerous times and they find nothing.  What it could boil down to is that you may be over feeding and not know it.

All dog foods have different levels of calories and nutrition.  Some are richer than others, and some are higher in calories than others.

What brand of food are you feeding?

Are you mixing kibble with canned?

How old is the pup/dog?

Read this and see what you think.  This is something I have gathered up in researching my own dogs food issues.

http://shihtzuobsessions.niceboard.net/food-discussions-f9/please-read-calorie-intake-overfeeding-t5.htm
Post Reply New Topic