Lazy puppy

Lazy puppy

jdpeterson82

QUOTE 8/19/2009 6:33:15 PM
My girlfriend and I took in a stray puppy last Fri that someone had thrown out. He's very sweet and learns quickly to go out to potty and we've been taking him out regularly. He'll eat when we mix in a little human food and drinks water fine but he doesn't have any interest in playing and lays around sleeping all day long. I don't think he has parvo cause his stools are normal and there's no sign of worms. Does anyone have any ideas? We can't afford to take him to the vet till the end of the month.

jchamp52

QUOTE 8/19/2009 8:51:35 PM

Quote jdpeterson82:

My girlfriend and I took in a stray puppy last Fri that someone had thrown out. He's very sweet and learns quickly to go out to potty and we've been taking him out regularly. He'll eat when we mix in a little human food and drinks water fine but he doesn't have any interest in playing and lays around sleeping all day long. I don't think he has parvo cause his stools are normal and there's no sign of worms. Does anyone have any ideas? We can't afford to take him to the vet till the end of the month.

Depending on the age of the puppy/dog,  he may just be tired or require more sleep and rest. You say he is a stray, there is no telling how long he has been without food or a clean, dry, warm place to sleep.

It is VERY difficult to determine if he has worms without the vet testing him.  Worms do not pass every time he goes to pottie.  Most puppies have some worms, probably more likely in his case since he was a stray.

PLEASE do not get the wormer from the stores, it would be best to let the vet choose the wormer that will work best for the puppy.
jdpeterson82

QUOTE 8/20/2009 8:16:27 PM
I have had puppies before and yes you can tell thru the poop if they have worms. No I'm not a vet but I do know what worms look like and I haven't seen any. Anyways, he has completely stopped eating and hasn't pooped in 2 days, his tongue and gums are white and barely moves. I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning, even tho I can't afford it I found one that will work with me on payments. I'm still worried he won't make it thru the night. Does anyone have ANY ideas of how to get some kind of nutrients in him, all he take in is water, he has no interest in food. Please help!

paulaskennels

QUOTE 8/20/2009 11:50:55 PM
you could try some nutri cal. I know that works when pups wont eat and they are weak. Definitely get to the vet asap though! good luck!
jchamp52

QUOTE 8/21/2009 1:59:30 AM

Quote jdpeterson82:

I have had puppies before and yes you can tell thru the poop if they have worms. No I'm not a vet but I do know what worms look like and I haven't seen any. Anyways, he has completely stopped eating and hasn't pooped in 2 days, his tongue and gums are white and barely moves. I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning, even tho I can't afford it I found one that will work with me on payments. I'm still worried he won't make it thru the night. Does anyone have ANY ideas of how to get some kind of nutrients in him, all he take in is water, he has no interest in food. Please help!

Honey or Karo syrup mixed with a little water can be used in the same way as nutri cal.  You didn't mention weight or possible breed, but get as much of the sweet water down him as you can.  It sounds like it could be low sugar. 
jdpeterson82

QUOTE 8/21/2009 6:47:22 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions, to update those that cared to help me, I took Logan(puppy) to the vet this morning first thing, within an hour they called me to tell me that they had to do an emergency blood transfusion that he was full of hook worms. About an hour after that the doctor called again to tell me that our poor baby didn't make it, his little body started stressing out from the cathiter as soon as he started the transfusion and he slipped away on the table. Thank you to all of you who responded back to my post, it's so wonderful to know that there are animal lovers like ya'll.

jchamp52

QUOTE 8/21/2009 10:42:12 PM

Quote jdpeterson82:

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions, to update those that cared to help me, I took Logan(puppy) to the vet this morning first thing, within an hour they called me to tell me that they had to do an emergency blood transfusion that he was full of hook worms. About an hour after that the doctor called again to tell me that our poor baby didn't make it, his little body started stressing out from the cathiter as soon as he started the transfusion and he slipped away on the table. Thank you to all of you who responded back to my post, it's so wonderful to know that there are animal lovers like ya'll.

I know your hearts are broken, it is so hard to loose a baby. 

You think, I have only had the puppy for a few days I wont be so attached, when in reality, they have you wrapped around their little paws in one second flat.

Most people do not realize that something as common as worms can kill a puppy as quickly as it can, worms are much more stressful/deadly on a puppy.

I am so sorry you lost Logan, at least he (and you'll) will have the memory of being loved and cared for, for a time in his life.

He is running and playing with other puppies now and he will always be happy and pain free.  
runningridge

QUOTE 8/29/2009 2:11:41 PM
I just read this post for the first time and I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'm grateful

however that that puppy found you in time to know what love was before it

died.

You seem to be a very caring and special person and it's apparent that you

will do whatever it takes to care for an animal.  Should you be close to me

and wish to get a puppy I'd be happy to give you one - no charge.  Just

let me know. 
Post Reply New Topic