TAMIFLU - for Parvo and Kennel Cough

TAMIFLU - for Parvo and Kennel Cough

jchamp52

QUOTE 8/16/2009 5:35:33 PM
I have been reading some really good reports about Tamiflu when used with antibodies and fluids for Parvo and Kennel Cough. 

I remember seeing a post in this forum (somewhere) that gave the dosage by weight.  I can't seem to locate it now.

Where do you order Tamiflu?  Revival does NOT carry it.  Can someone post the dosage again?  I raise a tiny breed.
jchamp52

QUOTE 8/16/2009 5:39:08 PM

Quote jchamp52:

I have been reading some really good reports about Tamiflu when used with antibodies and fluids for Parvo and Kennel Cough. 

I remember seeing a post in this forum (somewhere) that gave the dosage by weight.  I can't seem to locate it now.

Where do you order Tamiflu?  Revival does NOT carry it.  Can someone post the dosage again?  I raise a tiny breed.
ADDITION:  There is also a generic form  Oseltamivir , has anyone used it?
runningridge

QUOTE 8/17/2009 10:40:18 AM
Can't help with what your asking but we use Azithromyicin for our occassional kennel cough and

it will completely wipe it out in 5 days.  We don't seem to have any relapses

either with it so we're very happy with the results. 
jchamp52

QUOTE 8/17/2009 11:36:40 AM

Quote runningridge:

Can't help with what your asking but we use Azithromyicin for our occassional kennel cough and

it will completely wipe it out in 5 days.  We don't seem to have any relapses

either with it so we're very happy with the results. 
That is a difficult med for me to find much information about. The only thing I found was: Studies have shown that azithromycin can be effective for respiratory-tract infections when used once a day for 3 days, compared to 5- to 10-day courses of other antibiotics, such as erythromycin.

Do you order it yourself? What form - liquid or pill? What dosage and what is your breed?
beaglebrat

QUOTE 8/18/2009 8:09:03 AM
Tamiflu which is an antiviral medication works for Parvo, and it "may" work on the viral forms of Kennel Cough as well. However....

Most Kennel Cough comes from the Bordatella bacteria. All the info I have read on the internet says that the vast majority of Kennel Cough go away with out any antibiotic treatment at all...... As in vets are prescribing it so that the pet OWNER "feels better, like something is being done" and vets want to make money of course.

People just need to be patient. Treat the cough and normally with in a couple weeks it is gone. Prevention is also the best form of treatment. If you have a lot of dogs, or if your dogs are exposed to a lot of other dogs traveling at dog shows they may need to have more than one vaccine per year.  Dogs lose their immunity to this vaccine quickly.

Using Tamiflu on Kennel cough would be like using a cannon to kill an ant. Way overkill, and every time anyone uses Tamiflu on any thing (human, dog, cat) it loses  a little of it's effectiveness as the viruses become more resistant to it.

I am pretty sure I have heard the World Health Organization have warned vets/doctors from prescibing it to animals for that reason. Which if it's my puppies, and they have Parvo I really don't care, because it is life or death and I need it right now.

Until the drug companies come up with a product that is as effective towards Parvo (yeah right)  I don't think it is fair to expect dog breeders/shelters not to use it when it saves 80% of puppies that would normally only have a 20% chance of survival with out it.

runningridge

QUOTE 9/13/2009 2:20:54 PM

Quote jchamp52:

That is a difficult med for me to find much information about. The only thing I found was: Studies have shown that azithromycin can be effective for respiratory-tract infections when used once a day for 3 days, compared to 5- to 10-day courses of other antibiotics, such as erythromycin.

Do you order it yourself? What form - liquid or pill? What dosage and what is your breed?
My vet gives us a prescription for them.  We get the 500 mg PILLS that are scored so we can break them in half as we give one 500 mg the first day and 250 mg for days 2 through 5.  We've never actually had one cough past the 3rd day

but since my vet recommends 5 days to be sure we have combated it that is what we do. 

The dosage is the same for puppies irregardless of size. 

Try searching for Z-Pac as that is what most medical professionals call it.

It's not cheap but neither are sick puppies, vet bills or unhappy customers. 

Despite what MANY THINK - once you've got the virus you got it and you can

clean till your hands are raw and your still going to have puppies come down with it.

As far as VACCINATION goes with the bordatella vaccine - My vet says it's a waste of money as it only covers 3 of the over 100 respiratory viruses that are responsible for kennel cough.    We used the kennel cough vaccine for 4 years

running - spent mega bucks and didn't see where it made one iota of difference in how many puppies became suseptible to the virus. 

Normally intelligent folks can't seem to grasp that you can fill your kennel with bleach or whatever your disinfecting agent is and it is still only going to kill 99%

of the bacteria, germs and viruses.  That leaves BILLIONS still there just waiting

for a host.  There are BILLIONS of these little creatures within the space of the

end of your pencil.  The best ANYBODY can do is Disinfect, keep your puppies immune system up as much as possible, ACCEPT the FACT that some are going to get sick and watch for it and start the road to recovery NOW - (*Not tomorrow). 

We're quite happy with cleaning with Oxine and Fogging with Oxine which reduced our respiratory issues to the bare minimum but once the puppies start

going OUTSIDE to play we still have the occassional one that starts coughing. 

I wish there was an ALL ENCOMPASED ONE WAY DOES ALL method to everything but that just isn't the case and I highly doubt it ever will be. 
beaglebrat

QUOTE 10/21/2009 12:39:04 PM
So, as I said, I don't believe in Tamiflu for treatment of ordinary Kennel Cough. People should only use it as a last resort.

Unfortunately, I have a puppy that has been on 4 rounds of antibiotics for Kennel Cough, and even now that all the other puppies are better, she is very much not ok. Yesterday I asked the "New Vet", just graduated this year.

He said "no way was he giving out Tamiflu for Kennel Cough" and all studies have shown that it was ineffective if given after 3 days of when the cough starts.

Then he went on and on about how terrible it was that these vets were "giving out Tamiflu like candy", because things are becoming resistant to Tamiflu now, and that it's primary use should be people, and breeders are wrecking it for humans.

Which is scary, and I have heard before and I DO AGREE WITH. However, in cases of life and death, I think puppies should have a chance too. Like with Parvo or Kennel Cough when all other methods have failed.

BUT PLEASE reconsider using Tamiflu as your first choice in treating kennel cough. You never know when you or your family may need to use Tamiflu to save your own lives (SWINE FLU) and we want it to be as effective as possible.

runningridge

QUOTE 2/2/2013 12:07:28 AM
Not sure who you were responding to but we use AZITHROMYICIN and not Tamiflu for Kennel Cough.  
Post Reply New Topic