Puppy Diarrhea & Vomitting even after Giardia Meds!

Puppy Diarrhea & Vomitting even after Giardia Meds!

evelyn88

QUOTE 7/20/2009 10:43:56 AM
My puppy was diagnosed with Giardia and Coccidia a while back. He had finished his medication about 4 days ago, but he is still suffering from diarrhea. Not only that, he has been vomitting occassionally (not after eating...just sporadically), and he has bright red blood in his stool.

I am concerned and desperate. The vet does not have an answer for me and just tells me to monitor him. He's been having blood in his stool for a week now. What do i do? How long before the medication takes effect? I am so worried.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 7/20/2009 1:43:01 PM
Some times Coccidia and Giardia treatment can be difficult if they step in old fecal material and re-infect themselves.

More likely is that the puppy may have developed a secondary bacterial infection and may need to be placed on a regular antibiotic as well.

Many times in puppies though the treatment for coccidia/Giardia is tough on the intestinal track. Often killing the good bacteria as well. You should either get "Dan Active" or plain vanilla whole fat Yogart. Mix a little in to the puppies food during any type of treatment or rounds of anti-biotics.

They also have several products called Pro-biotics, or forta flora that also have high concentrations of the good bacterias.

I also give a little "Pepto Bismo" to stop diahrea and sooth the stomach. For bad lingering problems, I break out the tube of Diarsynal which can be purchased on the revival animal health website. That stuff is like mud, tastes terrible, but it basically coats the intestines, has worked every time.

Pedialite can also help with keeping hydration.

Good luck with your puppy.

runningridge

QUOTE 8/15/2009 4:25:55 PM
I'm not a vet but I've had the same issues several times with puppies I've bought and both times it was taken care of with a 5 day dose of Fenbendazole.  Whipworms are hard to find on a fecal scan so we're assuming that whipworms were our issue.

Please speak to your vet about this.
dsn0207

QUOTE 3/16/2012 3:23:25 PM
any more info on giardia?
Post Reply New Topic