Parvo help please

Parvo help please

sixptbuck

QUOTE 7/12/2009 10:40:03 AM

My puppies have parvo i already lost 4 of them i have one left and i think my younger litter has it to now any know how much Coloidal Silver should i give my pups?Any help would be grateful i have been trying everything i even started them on a little bleach in there water 1/2 tsp to gallon of half water half pedilite/gateraid  also i been giving them a herbal tea i been reading about online.please if anyone else has any ideas let me know i DO NOT want to loose anymore. Thank you

winddial

QUOTE 7/12/2009 5:25:14 PM
Ask your vet about Tamiflu.  It is an anti viral used in humans but works on parvo. 
beaglebrat

QUOTE 7/12/2009 5:28:12 PM
Why the heck haven't you taken them to the vet yet if you don't want to lose them? All these herbal remedies crap are a good SUPPLEMENTAL TREATMENT, but do not replace antibiotics and better yet, anti-virals (TAMIFLU).

You need,

Tamiflu-- antiviral

Antibiotics of your vets choice

An anti-nausea medication

Sub-Q hydration (dextrose)

I would also suggest a high calorie supplement like DYNE. You also need something to put the good stuff back in the intestines, like Forta Flora, or Probiotics.   Another good anti diarrhea product is a mud-like substance called Diarsynal.

Pedia-lite helps.

Echinachea powder or capsules pulled apart and mixed in one of the other products.

They also need round the clock care. That is why I had such a high survival rate (2 died out of 17 when my puppies had it). You need to give them constant attention and make sure you are doing  your best to counteract the vomiting and diarrhea.

Good luck I hope your puppies recover, but you REALLY NEED some vet supplies if you want any of them to live to see Monday. 

sixptbuck

QUOTE 7/12/2009 8:51:25 PM
I have had puppies to vet.We are putting fluids under the skin at home.He recommended pedilite oral and enema which we have been doing.We also put them on colloidal silver and other vitamins to boost their immune system.plus giving them a herbal tea which i read about all over the net to give them.I am just looking for other things that might help these puppies survive.Thanks for all the help. also tamiflu don't i have to get a prescription for that from a doctor?
ashiragarcia

QUOTE 7/13/2009 12:30:40 AM
Our Puppy had parvo and we could not afford to take him to a vet so we gave him pedialyte and puppy vitamins he was betten in no time at all it really does work!
winddial

QUOTE 7/13/2009 2:08:47 AM

Quote sixptbuck:

I have had puppies to vet.We are putting fluids under the skin at home.He recommended pedilite oral and enema which we have been doing.We also put them on colloidal silver and other vitamins to boost their immune system.plus giving them a herbal tea which i read about all over the net to give them.I am just looking for other things that might help these puppies survive.Thanks for all the help. also tamiflu don't i have to get a prescription for that from a doctor?
What do you think the "D" in D.V.M. stands for?  Stands for Doctorate.  A vet is more than able to write a prescription or call it into your local pharmacy. 
noskiveez

QUOTE 7/13/2009 3:08:05 AM

Quote ashiragarcia:

Our Puppy had parvo and we could not afford to take him to a vet so we gave him pedialyte and puppy vitamins he was betten in no time at all it really does work!
Oh thats fantastic! Just skip the vet because ashiragarcia did!!!! Brilliant!

maoseger1010

QUOTE 7/13/2009 7:12:45 AM

Quote ashiragarcia:

You have no idea if your pup had parvo or not because you did not take him to the vet.   Since in all my years with dogs I have NEVER heard of a puppy who had parvo and got better with "pedialyte and puppy vitamins" I'm guessing your dog was sick from stress and change of diet and not parvo.
ridgelon

QUOTE 7/13/2009 12:52:28 PM
Please for the love of GOD, do not use these suggestions as a treatment for parvo!!!!!!!  I worked as a vet assistant for 9+years and have dealt with parvo many times.  If you have a litter that has parvo, stop breading!!! You are just going to continue passing it on to all the next litters.  Parvo stays in the environment, you need to bleach everything twice and leave it out in the sun for a few days!!!!  Don't rely on teas and herbal remedies that you read about on the internet, the best thing you can do is isolate them so you stop spreading it around.  Fluids under the skin might not be enough, your vet should be consulted.  We always kept the puppies and had to give them I.V. fluids and special diets of I/D.  Having them under vet care will give you the highest chances of surviving.  Get them vaccinated, they tend not to get parvo if they are vaccinated correctly and on time.  Shots at 4,8,12 and 16 weeks, don't screw around.  Reading suggestions from "Holistic and Natural" from the internet can not replace the years of medical study veterinaries go through.  REMEMBER ISOLATE!!! COMPLETELY CLEAN THE ENVIRONMENT!!! NEVER EVER LET ANOTHER PET GO TO THE BATHROOM WHERE THE INFECTED ANIMAL GOES!!!!! 
beaglebrat

QUOTE 7/13/2009 1:32:16 PM
Ridgelon-- No offense, but I would take my knowledge and experience as a dog breeder for 14 years over your experience as a vet tech any day. You have been jaded by ONE VET'S OPINION on treatments.

Look at the Origianal Poster. Their vet didn't even prescribe Tamiflu. Any vet that didn't give me Tamiflu for Parvo in 2009 is out of the loop, and incompetent in my opinion, and I would NEVER  go there again.

I have seen many vets, I go to many vets and I am aware of vets that are better about some things than others.

To say that this person needs to "quit breading" is ridiculous. I had 2 litters  and one on the way  when my pups got parvo. Only the two older litters ever contracted it. After that, I was careful, I did a lot of cleaning, but the younger litter, in the same HOUSE in the same ROOM did not get it.

If this person cleans and vaccinated their adult female dogs so that the puppies have proper immunization at birth, this is not a death sentence to their breeding program.

Shortly after my parvo outbreak (it has been YEARS now with no reoccurance), I started giving the high titer parvo only vaccine "NEOPAR" at between 4-5 weeks. Never had a problem since.

A serious breeder that has experience parvo recently though, can and should purchase Parvo snap test through "revival animal products" website. That way if you ever have a puppy with suspicous sypmptoms you can know in 10 minutes if you have Parvo again or not.

No matter what vets may charge, the Parvo snap tests (often the exact same thing vets use) are as easy to read as an at home pregnancy test. And for $12 per test, it is a lot better than the office visit and testing fee that a vet would charge.

beaglebrat

QUOTE 7/13/2009 1:37:16 PM
Another point would be, if it is impossible for a person to breed after Parvo, then shouldn't a vet have to move buildings after treating a puppy with Parvo? If it is THAT CONTAGIOUS that a dog is never safe touching an area for 7 years, that has been around Parvo?

Yet it is my understanding that vets don't close shop, even when they are treating dogs with Parvo. They just isolate and do thorough cleaning.

Biology is biology.

winddial

QUOTE 7/13/2009 1:45:54 PM
I dealt with parvo a few years ago my self, I believe it was you on another forum somewhere beaglebrat that you were the one who suggested tamiflu to me.  You wouldn't happen to also have some UKC titled boxers would you? 

At the time my vet had only briefly heard about it and hadn't had a case that wasn't already fairly advanced in symptoms know if it really worked.  I had one pup that was tested and with full blown symptoms but the rest of the litter at the house that hadn't broke yet.  He called a prescription down to the pharmacy for the entire litter since it was coming up on a weekend and I would have it handy.  The others started to get loose stools but treated them immediatly with a 5 day round of tamiflu and the stools firmed back up and did not give them anything else(albon or other drugs) during the round of tamiflu.  So I am inclined to think they had started to get it but the tamiflu pretty well stopped it.  I don't know if it helped the other one or not, she was pretty bad off by the time I got it.  She did live through it but I think the typical sub q fluids, the anti vomit meds, anitbiotics, and nutrical.  I would hope that by 2009 most vets have heard about it and added it to their arsenal of parvo treatments.
sixptbuck

QUOTE 7/13/2009 2:12:57 PM
Ok my vet is trying to figure out how much tamiflu to give each pup. Anyone have any ideas? if so i can see how close the doses are? thanks
tanktrouble

QUOTE 7/13/2009 3:40:36 PM
Check into Amertechnology products.  They are great.  Between the emergency tea, then the Parvaid and Vibactra plus, we had great success several years ago.  Within 2 days of taking these products, our dog bounced back.  They claim an 85% success rate.  Even a vets don't claim that.  It still requires round the clock care, but it's easy to use and lasts a long time.  We haven't had any problems with Parvo since.  we bleached everything including the yard.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 7/14/2009 8:26:15 AM

Quote sixptbuck:

Ok my vet is trying to figure out how much tamiflu to give each pup. Anyone have any ideas? if so i can see how close the doses are? thanks
I am glad I saved this information. My vet prescribed this dosage.

(1) 75 Mg capsule mixed with 7.5 (ML or CC) of water, can also be mixed with a product called "rebound" to help mask the bitter taste.

You give 1/10  cc per pound that should look like .10 on those really tiny 1cc syringes.

Effected puppies 2x per day for 5-10 days

Prevention 1x per day 5-10 days

beaglebrat

QUOTE 7/14/2009 8:40:07 AM

Quote winddial:

I dealt with parvo a few years ago my self, I believe it was you on another forum somewhere beaglebrat that you were the one who suggested tamiflu to me.  You wouldn't happen to also have some UKC titled boxers would you? 

At the time my vet had only briefly heard about it and hadn't had a case that wasn't already fairly advanced in symptoms know if it really worked.  I had one pup that was tested and with full blown symptoms but the rest of the litter at the house that hadn't broke yet.  He called a prescription down to the pharmacy for the entire litter since it was coming up on a weekend and I would have it handy.  The others started to get loose stools but treated them immediatly with a 5 day round of tamiflu and the stools firmed back up and did not give them anything else(albon or other drugs) during the round of tamiflu.  So I am inclined to think they had started to get it but the tamiflu pretty well stopped it.  I don't know if it helped the other one or not, she was pretty bad off by the time I got it.  She did live through it but I think the typical sub q fluids, the anti vomit meds, anitbiotics, and nutrical.  I would hope that by 2009 most vets have heard about it and added it to their arsenal of parvo treatments.
Yes I would have several UKC titled Boxers, and an AKC titled Boxer too :)  I still go in that other forum, but I just stick in the breeder section.  They shouldn't be so anti-breeder on that other site, because they are missing out on a lot of good information.

I am glad that your puppies recovered. I tell about Tamiflu every time chance I get. You would think that in 2009 Vets would know about it, and I don't mean to sound jaded but..... puppies get better pretty quick on Tamiflu. I think Parvo used to be a HUGE business to vets-- as in they made a lot of money on care.

I think that some vets aren't willing to give up the thousands of dollars in treatments to try something new.

dihart

QUOTE 7/14/2009 11:22:41 AM
that would be a horrible thought, that they did not give tamaflu because it decreased their income....but knowing what some vets do charge for procedures and care, I woudl not doubt that it could be a factor.
dihart

QUOTE 7/14/2009 11:26:50 AM
I also am glad for all the discussion on parvo, it is more often than not  a death sentence to those pups who's owners are unaware of its existance or the urgency of necessary treatment. Parvo is everywhere and certain steps need to be done to prevent it's initial exposure and  reoccurance.   Education is key. Many of my clients think I am a crazy person when I caution them about parvo and how not to expose their new pups to it.
sixptbuck

QUOTE 7/15/2009 6:55:28 PM
Well to give you a UPDATE we started giving the 6 pups tamiflu on monday evening.The one who was already very ill sadly didn't make it he passed away within a few hours.4 of the 5 was not eating at all sunday evening or monday. next morning after 1st dose 3 of the 4 was eating and drinking alittle the other male just drank lots of water. today which is wednesday 4 are eating pretty good tails are wagging and playing. But the 5th one started getting symptoms last night  today she is not eating that much but drink some. I been giving her colloidal silver and molasses on her gums to keep her sugar level up.Also i been giving her a herbal tea. The others look like they are on there way to recovery  i just hope i can pull the little girl through this too.
runningridge

QUOTE 8/30/2009 3:57:41 PM
I think the problem with Vets prescribing something is the fact that they get sued so much any more that they won't take the chance if it isn't a customer they know really well.

If it's an Off-label med then they really aren't supposed to prescribe it unless it

has been approved to do so by the AVMA.

Tamiflu, Marquis and quite a few of the other meds that DO WORK have not

been approved yet as off-label use for dogs therefore most vets won't stick

their neck out there and prescribe them.

Azithromyicin works wonders on kennel cough yet seldom do I hear anybody

who actually uses it as the med of choice as recommended by the AVMA is

simply something to help fight against secondary infections.  I've been told by

every research lab I've ever inquired about that you can't fight what isn't there.

An infection has to be in active growth stage before a med will be of any use.

To give a puppy something for something that is non-existant is only going to

lower the puppies immune system, kill the good flora bacteria in their intestine

and do more harm than good. 
Post Reply New Topic