Our emergency c-section

Our emergency c-section

dihart

QUOTE 6/22/2009 3:18:02 PM
Yesterday my much loved & very pregnant Coton de tulear Babe went into labor. Right on time at 61 days I was fairly confident that we would have a nice delivery and a new litter of very well planned for coton babies.
I had scheduled the breeding, made sure my dog was old enough and in great physical health when she was bred. I have fed her a proper diet and made sure she was getting good exercise and sleep all thru the 9 weeks we waited exectantly for her first litter. She was a good healthy albeit very pregnant dog.
I have assisted in about 6 other delivers over the course of several years with my other dogs so I was not concerned, just a bit edgy, watchful, as all high energy situations cause us to be.
My Babe looked like she had swallowed a basketball, so I knew there were several puppies, I predicted 6 to 7. But felt confident that we would smootly handle any birthing issues that arose. But mother nature had a mind of her own and my girls delivery did not follow a smooth path.
After several hours if labor, temperature taking, and then the showing of the amniotic sac but no babies for another couple of hours, after consultations with the vets, not mine but an emergency vet, on the phone...on Fathers Day...Sunday & a holiday... we were all of the same mind that my girl had uterine atony, which is insufficient uterine contractions to push out all of those babies. SO, yep, 10pm on a holiday weekend, we arrived at the vets to have a $777 acutpunture c-section to deliver 8 beautiful healthy babies. Thank God for that $$ I saved incase. My Babe and her babies are all fine, and I am a thankful pet owner, and in love with the new babies. But I am also bottle feeding and waiting for Babes milk to drop, that is an every 2 hours process and a handful with 8.
So, these things really do happen as others try to caution. Breeding is not for the faint of heart. I could have lost my dog, my litter and the cost is pretty high, and these factor should be considered.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 6/22/2009 8:15:10 PM
Knock on wood my last c-section was several years and about 12 litters ago.

We had one girl, my son's dog "Sassy" and she needed a c-section both of her 2 litters and even though her uterus was still in good shape, I decided to spay her, because she had a heck of a time coming out of the anesthesia and I didn't think it was worth the risk, even though she has produced some of my best dogs.

She also had uterine inertia/atony.

Sassy's daughter out of her first litter was due last week and based on her mother's history I was pretty much up my vets behind about just automatically doing a c-section. Tess is 3 years old and this was her first litter.

I knew her 2 breed dates and of course she was a day over due when I started to get mad that he just wouldn't take them. Based on her progesterone testing, he didn't think she was ready and didnt' want to take them early.

I KNEW SHE WASN'T EARLY. So I threw a fit on Tuesday and said I was going to take her somewhere else. My vet told me to wait one more night and we would do the c-section in the morning.

Well, at 11:00 pm she had her first puppy naturally and then went on to have a total of 7 puppies by 6:00am just fine. I felt like a jerk when I called in the morning and let them know we didn't need a c-section-- at that time I was glad he made me wait.

My vet is available at all times, weekends holidays and nights if I need him, there is a slight extra "after hours" fee, but nothing like emergency clinic fees.

You are lucky to have got out of an emergency clinic with only a $777 bill. My friend moved to the Detroit suburbs and emergency clinics there charge $2000 for c-sections, that is why my friend still drives the 2.5 hours each way to use my vet still!
maoseger1010

QUOTE 6/22/2009 9:27:40 PM

Quote dihart:

Yesterday my much loved & very pregnant Coton de tulear Babe went into labor. Right on time at 61 days I was fairly confident that we would have a nice delivery and a new litter of very well planned for coton babies.
I had scheduled the breeding, made sure my dog was old enough and in great physical health when she was bred. I have fed her a proper diet and made sure she was getting good exercise and sleep all thru the 9 weeks we waited exectantly for her first litter. She was a good healthy albeit very pregnant dog.
I have assisted in about 6 other delivers over the course of several years with my other dogs so I was not concerned, just a bit edgy, watchful, as all high energy situations cause us to be.
My Babe looked like she had swallowed a basketball, so I knew there were several puppies, I predicted 6 to 7. But felt confident that we would smootly handle any birthing issues that arose. But mother nature had a mind of her own and my girls delivery did not follow a smooth path.
After several hours if labor, temperature taking, and then the showing of the amniotic sac but no babies for another couple of hours, after consultations with the vets, not mine but an emergency vet, on the phone...on Fathers Day...Sunday & a holiday... we were all of the same mind that my girl had uterine atony, which is insufficient uterine contractions to push out all of those babies. SO, yep, 10pm on a holiday weekend, we arrived at the vets to have a $777 acutpunture c-section to deliver 8 beautiful healthy babies. Thank God for that $$ I saved incase. My Babe and her babies are all fine, and I am a thankful pet owner, and in love with the new babies. But I am also bottle feeding and waiting for Babes milk to drop, that is an every 2 hours process and a handful with 8.
So, these things really do happen as others try to caution. Breeding is not for the faint of heart. I could have lost my dog, my litter and the cost is pretty high, and these factor should be considered.
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear all puppies are doing well.
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/23/2009 7:49:35 AM
hope everything continues to go well.can you get some pics up?again, good luck and hope everything continues to go well.
dihart

QUOTE 6/24/2009 1:01:14 PM
I posted a video of Babe with some of her pups on you tube. Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90MTrswrVGY

I also have 3 puppies fostered out to a friend who's dog had 2 pups that same day, so we are managing everyone. Babe still has not got much milk in so we are supplemental feeding which is making for a very tired human mom.
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/24/2009 1:25:42 PM
i got it in a little fuzzy but still very cute.
Post Reply New Topic