Is it ok to shave or trim a Pomeranian??

Is it ok to shave or trim a Pomeranian??

leesagallo

QUOTE 5/22/2009 7:24:05 AM
I am in Georgia and am a professional pet stylist (groomer). I do shave ALOT of these dogs-goldens, poms, labs, etc. On some dogs the coat may or may not grow back the same but YOU TRY to convince alot of these pet owners to brush properly! If your dog isn't going to the showring, then it's your choice on how you want your dog groomed! I personally like the pom personality and am considering getting one. And I guarantee if I do, I will keep it @ 1" all over. I think they look like little teddy bears at that length!
perfectpom

QUOTE 5/22/2009 12:51:52 PM

Quote leesagallo:

I am in Georgia and am a professional pet stylist (groomer). I do shave ALOT of these dogs-goldens, poms, labs, etc. On some dogs the coat may or may not grow back the same but YOU TRY to convince alot of these pet owners to brush properly! If your dog isn't going to the showring, then it's your choice on how you want your dog groomed! I personally like the pom personality and am considering getting one. And I guarantee if I do, I will keep it @ 1" all over. I think they look like little teddy bears at that length!
You can't go wrong choosing a POM! They are the most loyal little companions and so dam adorable in every way!!
melzami

QUOTE 5/26/2009 5:06:41 PM
Hi,
I also have a pomeranian for about 5 Years and was scarred to shave her but over the years I did anyway and it always grew back. However this last time it did not. I trimed her allover (not shaved)I also accidently trimmed to much on her back close to her tail. It has been about 4 month now but it has not even grown an inch so I am still happy that I did not shave her down completely like I usually do in summers. So to anyone out there your right it won't happen maybe the first time or second but maybe on the 10th it will happen.
somwhere

QUOTE 6/23/2009 11:59:44 PM
We have 2 Poms - a 10 year old male Pom with long stand-up hair and a 5 year old female with long, flat hair. Our 10 year old looks like a puff ball. The hair is great for the extremely cold winters in northern Minnesota, but in the summer he suffers, doesn't want to go outside, pants a lot and is basically inactive.

For the last 4 years we have had him shaved into a buzz cut (hair about 1 inch long) for the summer months. He is much happier and more active after the shave. Each year his hair has grown back much thicker after the shave. We are afraid to shave our female Pom with the long, flat hair, not knowing if the hair will grow back.

Has anyone shaved a Pom with the long, flat hair?

Thanks,
Donnie

billmargaret0987

QUOTE 11/24/2009 6:04:29 PM
Do not shave your Pom IF IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY YOUR VET due to health conditions.

Some dogs has "ugly days" but it shall pass.

torifix31

QUOTE 1/3/2010 3:58:36 AM

i am a groomer i would not shave your pom until adult hair grows in only because it may not grow back ive seen poms hair grow in blotches trust me use a slicker brush with a metal comb witch will help to know if its all the way brushed with no matts. when your pup gets older give it a cute lion cut its so cute.i always loved grooming poms they are good dogs
pomm0m

QUOTE 9/8/2012 5:56:55 PM
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to reply. 

I own a male Pomeranian who has a beautiful big fluffy coat. There have been times where I have been tempted to trim his fur, not shave to the skin, I mean the shortest length I would have considered was 1 - 1.5 inches long. 

I have done many searches on shaving Pomeranians and whether the fur grows back the same, worse or better and I have read people say all of these so it's hard to make the decision.

What I will say is, to people who say after shaving their dog the fur never grew back at all or the skin went black... This wasn't caused by shaving, the dog already had an illness that would have meant fur loss eventually at some point regardless of shaving. Shaving your Pom wont cause a disease like BSD.

Now thinking about shaving a Poms coat and it not growing back the same or thicker etc, I wonder how this can be really when you are not even touching the part of the hair where the actual growth takes place (under the skin). A myth with humans is if you shave your legs, face etc the hair will grow back darker and thicker. This is untrue because you are not even coming into contact where the hair is grown under the skin.  How can cutting (by shaving) a strand of hair above the follicle (so you are not interfering with the root or removing it) cause the hairs texture to change when the follicle is still in place and has been untouched. Maybe it's different in animals than in humans, but in my mind as long as you are not waxing or plucking (which of course NO ONE would or should ever do to any animal) your dogs fur I am not convinced shaving a Pomeranian can have such a bad effect on the fur and change the texture and thickness of it. Of course I could be totally wrong but that's just my thoughts. I guess it's just one of them things you need to be willing to take the risk for and try for yourself to see what happens.

dihart

QUOTE 10/2/2012 9:22:38 AM
I would just say, we have a pom and this late summer shaved her down to about 1 1/2 inches. honestly, she loves it, and she doesnt look half bad. Yes, it is not the luscious pom traditional coat, but we had a heck of a time with fleas this summer and her coat was so thick that it was just a step that was needed in the fight. She is 4, it is the first time she’s been shaved, and maybe wont be the last. She is a pet, not a show dog, so we dont have to worry about that arena concern and the standard for showing. 
dihart

QUOTE 10/2/2012 9:22:39 AM
I would just say, we have a pom and this late summer shaved her down to about 1 1/2 inches. honestly, she loves it, and she doesnt look half bad. Yes, it is not the luscious pom traditional coat, but we had a heck of a time with fleas this summer and her coat was so thick that it was just a step that was needed in the fight. She is 4, it is the first time she’s been shaved, and maybe wont be the last. She is a pet, not a show dog, so we dont have to worry about that arena concern and the standard for showing. 
bytjies

QUOTE 7/20/2013 5:59:41 AM
i have a pommy, and i shave him monthly. he loves being shaved, and i only keep his ears and tail long. he looks awesome. is easier to upkeep as he hates being brushed. i think if its not a show dog, trimming the hair cant be that big of a issue. i would just not shave it off completely.
Post Reply New Topic