Is it ok to shave or trim a Pomeranian??

Is it ok to shave or trim a Pomeranian??

booshi

QUOTE 3/17/2008 12:52:01 PM
OMG..I am having an anxiety attack!My pup (7mos.)male..has had such bad fleas and I use frontline,give him garlic and brewers yeast.I bath weekly(not flea bath)but I gave him a lion cut(at petsmart)and had his body shaved ..His hair is growing back(its only been 2wks)but I didnt know it may change his coat!!OMG..what can I do?When will I know if I have ruined my darling baby!I love him and I love his beautiful fluff, But I have felt so bad about the fleas and it has helped keep them to an extreme minimum..
Any knowledge for me?
joeypoodle

QUOTE 3/19/2008 4:38:51 PM

Quote maoseger1010:

I worked in a grooming shop years ago and we often had people coming in and wanting their Poms shaved down. The long time owner who was a well respected groomer always sent them away. She would tell them "You simply never shave a Pom". When we did groom Poms we washed them and then used the blower to lift out the loose undercoat. It helped a lot with shedding. Once I asked her about it she said, "When you shave a Pom often the result is the undercoat grows back thicker and chokes out most of the top coat." She went on to say that her reputation was on the line and she didn't want people bad mouthing her later when they found out their poms coat was ruined. She said many groomers do it because they know once its done you have to do it year after year and they want the money.

Hope this helps.

I have heard the same thing in a discussion with a groomer regarding Goldens. If you cut the hair down once you've destroyed the coat. You should never, ever, ever use clippers on a double coated breed. The only dogs that should ever have clippers are breeds that do not have top coats (like poodles).
perfectpom

QUOTE 3/19/2008 7:11:31 PM

Quote joeypoodle:

I have heard the same thing in a discussion with a groomer regarding Goldens. If you cut the hair down once you've destroyed the coat. You should never, ever, ever use clippers on a double coated breed. The only dogs that should ever have clippers are breeds that do not have top coats (like poodles).
Uh we shaved our Golden down a few times and his coat grew back just as thick and beautiful as ever.
joeypoodle

QUOTE 3/19/2008 10:49:31 PM

Quote perfectpom:

Uh we shaved our Golden down a few times and his coat grew back just as thick and beautiful as ever.
The thickness is actually a sign that the top coat has been ruined. The undercoat grows back thicker every time the fur is shaved and it gradually chokes out the topcoat. It's good you like the way it looks but if you were to consult with a master groomer they would tell you that you never, ever shave a double coated dog.
emlee3

QUOTE 3/19/2008 11:11:38 PM

Quote joeypoodle:

The thickness is actually a sign that the top coat has been ruined. The undercoat grows back thicker every time the fur is shaved and it gradually chokes out the topcoat. It's good you like the way it looks but if you were to consult with a master groomer they would tell you that you never, ever shave a double coated dog.
i agree. This is not the only reason why you shouldn't shave a double-coated dog. Again, the coat is a insulator for both the cold and heat. it also protects them from the sun.

I never understood why people use the weather as an excuse to shave a dog down. when i tell people i have a husky they always wonder how my dog can survive in this hot weather. my dog's hair is no different from a golden retriever or a GSD..its one of my pet peeves.
perfectpom

QUOTE 3/20/2008 12:08:59 AM

Quote joeypoodle:

I'm not going to get in a pi$$ing match with you over shaving other than to say it was my "late" Golden (RIP) I didn't say it was thicker than before or that I liked the way it looked, I said his coat grew back the same as it had been previously, so don't tell me I ruined his coat
It was actually my husbands idea to give him a one inch all over shave twice at the groomers, not mine, and then I said no more.

As far as your "master groomer" statement that makes me laugh as I've never really met one that was that excellent...they often get paid very little, there is a huge turnover, and many horror stories of peoples bad grooming experiences.
joeypoodle

QUOTE 3/20/2008 7:26:01 AM
Master Groomer is actually a title and they're aren't many out there. You certainly won't find them at Petco's. They go to specialized school and dog grooming is a craft for them, not a low paying job. Many of them will compete in grooming competitions.

I'm sure your dog was still pretty but the fur was not going to be the same as if you never shaved it. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Dogs who are double coated and shaved will end up shedding more and being more prone to mats than dogs who were never shaved because of the undercoat.

Dude, I know about grooming. I have a Standard Poodle. grooming is a way of life.
gbat1stop

QUOTE 3/20/2008 8:08:05 AM

Quote joeypoodle:

Master Groomer is actually a title and they're aren't many out there. You certainly won't find them at Petco's. They go to specialized school and dog grooming is a craft for them, not a low paying job. Many of them will compete in grooming competitions.

I'm sure your dog was still pretty but the fur was not going to be the same as if you never shaved it. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Dogs who are double coated and shaved will end up shedding more and being more prone to mats than dogs who were never shaved because of the undercoat.

Dude, I know about grooming. I have a Standard Poodle. grooming is a way of life.
IMHO, anyone who refers to themselves as the "master" of their trade has an inferiority complex. What school, exactly, do they train to become this "master" groomer and what do they learn that is so special? And, how do I go about finding a "Master" groomer in my area? I would like to see first hand what they can do better than my current "NON-Master" groomer.
joeypoodle

QUOTE 3/20/2008 8:39:44 AM
The National Dog Groomers Association of America does a lot of grooming competitions and certifications. Search the net under the following
nationaldoggroomers

I'm having a hard time finding a good groomer myself. It's not like I'm looking to put my dog into a Continental Clip or anything but it's still hard to find someone decent. It's easy to mess up a poodle's hair.

edited per forum rules maoseger1010
cannonfarms

QUOTE 3/20/2008 11:12:54 AM

Quote gbat1stop:

IMHO, anyone who refers to themselves as the "master" of their trade has an inferiority complex. What school, exactly, do they train to become this "master" groomer and what do they learn that is so special? And, how do I go about finding a "Master" groomer in my area? I would like to see first hand what they can do better than my current "NON-Master" groomer.
Master groomer is like a master mechanic, or chef, its used as another word than champion because that is what they are.
You would be surprised at the comps that are held and how difficult they are.
A master groomer certainly would never shave a pom or any double coated breed and would rather lose a client than to go against what is right and wrong. Most master groomers I know work for show clients and dont have store fronts, if they do its in a city so they can get the money they have worked very hard to better their skills to be able to earn top dollar.
Im a good groomer, had my own store but Im not a master groomer and never will be because I dont groom anymore
perfectpom

QUOTE 3/20/2008 11:47:58 AM

Quote joeypoodle:

Quote: I'm sure your dog was still pretty but the fur was not going to be the same as if you never shaved it. That's a fact not an opinion.

I'm not your dude but it's more than apparent this is a hot topic for you so knock yourself out. With a 5 billion dollar war going on there are more important things IMO. You really shouldn't speak for my Golden, as this is the last time I will tell you his coat looked the same and didn't mat any differently after being shaved. Since you've never shaved a Golden you really can't state it's a fact. Master groomers must be few and far between. My goodness maybe you should stand at Petco's and Petsmarts and tell people what boobs they are for shaving and then tell the groomers they are pieces of $hit because they are not a "master groomer".
perfectpom

QUOTE 3/20/2008 12:02:17 PM

Quote joeypoodle:

The National Dog Groomers Association of America does a lot of grooming competitions and certifications. Search the net under the following
nationaldoggroomers

I'm having a hard time finding a good groomer myself. It's not like I'm looking to put my dog into a Continental Clip or anything but it's still hard to find someone decent. It's easy to mess up a poodle's hair.

edited per forum rules maoseger1010
Quote: I'm having a hard time finding a good groomer myself

Really I thought you were using a "master groomer", contradicting yourself aren't you?
joeypoodle

QUOTE 3/20/2008 12:19:06 PM
I wish I could find a master groomer... heck I'm just trying to find a good one. The great groomers are all show handlers and getting on their schedules will be tough just to put a lamb cut on my dog.

I can state a lot of things I haven't done as fact. I'm not a master sushi chef either but I know if you carve a blowfish the wrong way it will kill you.

Unless you are a Golden expert (meaning top breeder or judge) or a grooming expert (obviously not) you really can't say that your dog's coat was not affected. It was what you were used to. If you don't care that you did affect it that's okay too but it doesn't change things.

You wouldn't know what a certified master groomer would have said about your dog's coat because you obviously weren't using one. They never would have shaved your dog.

People with easier to groom breeds don't really need a great groomer. Basically with a golden all you have to do is brush and bathe. Terriers are harder to do correctly and Poodles are probably the toughest to get right. It's really easy to make a poodle look nasty-ugly with a bad haircut. So I did my research. When you talk to people about grooming you find out that there is way more to it than the average Joe knows.

If you care enough to argue about it you should seek to educate yourself.
perfectpom

QUOTE 3/20/2008 12:34:07 PM

Quote joeypoodle:

I wish I could find a master groomer... heck I'm just trying to find a good one. The great groomers are all show handlers and getting on their schedules will be tough just to put a lamb cut on my dog.

I can state a lot of things I haven't done as fact. I'm not a master sushi chef either but I know if you carve a blowfish the wrong way it will kill you.

Unless you are a Golden expert (meaning top breeder or judge) or a grooming expert (obviously not) you really can't say that your dog's coat was not affected. It was what you were used to. If you don't care that you did affect it that's okay too but it doesn't change things.

You wouldn't know what a certified master groomer would have said about your dog's coat because you obviously weren't using one. They never would have shaved your dog.

People with easier to groom breeds don't really need a great groomer. Basically with a golden all you have to do is brush and bathe. Terriers are harder to do correctly and Poodles are probably the toughest to get right. It's really easy to make a poodle look nasty-ugly with a bad haircut. So I did my research. When you talk to people about grooming you find out that there is way more to it than the average Joe knows.

If you care enough to argue about it you should seek to educate yourself.
My first response to you was an educated one based on my naked eye observation of my dogs coat. I don't need advice from you on when I should or shouldn't post on here.
jekku3

QUOTE 3/24/2008 11:47:49 AM
I live in Finland and we have cold winters and hot summers. I gave my pomeranian her first shave last summer. Till then, she had been very tired and down at the summer, not playing outside and just laying inside. When a groomer shaved her (leaving about 1-1,5 inches), she changed to a cheerful and active dog during the summer. Yes, the undercoat grew back thicker and she's uglier than before, but she also doesn't feel cold at winters like used to, she's happy and loves playing in the snow with her thicker coat.

I'm not making any excuses, she's happier this way and that's my priority. She wasn't a show dog in the first place, she's too big and doesn't have all the teeth and she has hip dysplasia and kneecap luxation (she had a surgery a week ago and now both of her legs are shaved to the skin from hips to ankles). I'm going to keep on shaving her on summers, that's for sure!
volley135

QUOTE 7/7/2008 5:12:28 PM
Hi i have a pom shes 4 now and i was just wondering if her hair would grow back if we shaved her top coat off or will the hair just grow in to be thicker than it is??

forgetitbaby

QUOTE 8/24/2008 6:04:15 PM
I had given my Pomeranian to my best friend because we had a hard time housetraining him. She ended up keeping him outside for the same reason and now has shaved him completely bald!! I am taking him away from her TODAY. Will his fur grow back and does he need to set a vet for this?

And is there anything special I should be putting on his skin!?
Very upset over this... it may ruin the friendship. I can't believe she did this to the poor little guy!!
jodijim1

QUOTE 8/30/2008 1:48:34 AM
I was told by a groomer never to shave our Pom, but he has a heart murmur and has had two heart attacks (he is four yrs old.) and in TX the heat is very stressful. I did give him what is called a "lion cut" last year, which left a mane around his head and chest and his hair did grow back. I had to shave him with a number two hair clipper head (to about 1/2" long, he retains his wool like undercoat) this summer after his last heart attack. He is not as beautiful except in spirit, he looks like a Pom puppie now or a little black bear, still really cute. I would say that unless the pup has health issues to take him to the groomers on a regular basis, brush him daily, they do get mats easily, and just love him.
luigia1358

QUOTE 8/31/2008 1:12:36 PM

Quote jaymeex:

Hi everyone, my pom puppy is going through his "pom uglies" and I am wondering if it is ok to shave him to around one inch left? Will his hair grow back if I shave him? Or will it be better if I just trim his hair? Also, I saw many poms get shave during the summer in petsmart. Will it hurt their adult coat? Thanks.
Hi I have 2girls and one of them I let them shave her short and she looks pretty.
krisi1

QUOTE 5/21/2009 3:09:57 PM

Quote jaymeex:

Hi everyone, my pom puppy is going through his "pom uglies" and I am wondering if it is ok to shave him to around one inch left? Will his hair grow back if I shave him? Or will it be better if I just trim his hair? Also, I saw many poms get shave during the summer in petsmart. Will it hurt their adult coat? Thanks.
Hello I just came across this site and am wanting to answer your question as a pom owner. I was very very afraid to shave my pom and didn't do it for a very long time. He got bad allergies and was hot all summer so I finally shaved him and not only did he love it but hair is hair and it grew back in the fall. I just shaved him for the second time yesterday and he loves it. Not only did his hair grow right back it grew back more beautiful than when it first came in. I just wanted to let you know because all sorts of breeders and pom owners when they had never done it themselves by the way had told me to never shave them. The vet and dog groomer said it's hair it'll grow back and sure enough it is and it did. Good luck with your pom!
Post Reply New Topic