Is it ok to shave or trim a Pomeranian??

Is it ok to shave or trim a Pomeranian??

jaymeex

QUOTE 10/4/2006 9:23:18 PM
Hi everyone, my pom puppy is going through his "pom uglies" and I am wondering if it is ok to shave him to around one inch left? Will his hair grow back if I shave him? Or will it be better if I just trim his hair? Also, I saw many poms get shave during the summer in petsmart. Will it hurt their adult coat? Thanks.
mja1103

QUOTE 10/5/2006 12:19:21 AM

Quote jaymeex:

Hi everyone, my pom puppy is going through his "pom uglies" and I am wondering if it is ok to shave him to around one inch left? Will his hair grow back if I shave him? Or will it be better if I just trim his hair? Also, I saw many poms get shave during the summer in petsmart. Will it hurt their adult coat? Thanks.
I raise Pomeranians and have been working with a mentor and studying the breed for a few years. It is never a good idea to shave your Pom. Their double coat acts as an insulator, both in warm & cold weather. By shaving you could also potentially damage the adult outer coat. Is there a specific reason why you want to shave him?
twobitranch

QUOTE 10/5/2006 12:19:30 AM
i am a retired vet tech, but i did a small amount of grooming in the past. poms are very cute, very hairy little beasts you will get answers from others here who are, or have been experienced groomers. if you aren't absolutely sure how to go about prettying up your pup, don't do it yourself. start out with brushing out your dogs coat on a regular basis to prevent matting, and, if you do need to use scissors on it, ALWAYS use the ones with rounded ends, and NEVER cut close to the skin. or, you could TRY to do a body shave with a good set of electric clippers with a plastic comb attachment if your pup will tolerate it. i repeat, i AM NOT
an experienced groomer, but this is all i could think of to help you for now. taking your pup to a groomer is the best bet, but you can do your part by regular brushing to remove
loose hair. ok all you knowledgeable groomers,
share your wisdom, and correct me if i'm wrong, ok?? sandy@the two-bit ranch
funnybunny

QUOTE 10/5/2006 12:25:07 AM
Mista gets shaved down during Summer months, and I have never had a problem with it, however she is an adult and loves it because of the hot weather her in Florida. As for your puppy, I really wouldn't know. Mista is never shaved down completely, and has enough hair left, but is still kept cool. As a puppy, I probably would not recommend it. All Pomeranians go through the "puppy uglies". That's really no reason to shave your puppy. It's a natural occurance with them.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 10/5/2006 7:02:36 AM
As a groomer, i like to see the poms in full coat, you do haowever need to have a sanitary trim done, this does the hair around genitels and under there feet to keep mud and dirt from tracking in and mabe tidying up around ears and stuff just to keep him looking neat. The pup is still going to shed shaved or full coat ones just not as noticble as the other.
Groomers use a differnt clipper that what you can get for $20 mine cost 130, they have detachible blades that are in diffrent sizes, if you use the comb attachments then you dog may look choppy.
I do not recomend you try and give the pup its first haircut if thats what you deside, its hard to do pups for the first time and even the most seasoned groomers can mess him up or cut him and novice i guarantee will..
ps ive never groomed a pom that didnt try to bite me so a muzzel woulnt be a bad idea
maoseger1010

QUOTE 10/5/2006 8:19:23 AM

Quote jaymeex:

I worked in a grooming shop years ago and we often had people coming in and wanting their Poms shaved down. The long time owner who was a well respected groomer always sent them away. She would tell them "You simply never shave a Pom". When we did groom Poms we washed them and then used the blower to lift out the loose undercoat. It helped a lot with shedding. Once I asked her about it she said, "When you shave a Pom often the result is the undercoat grows back thicker and chokes out most of the top coat." She went on to say that her reputation was on the line and she didn't want people bad mouthing her later when they found out their poms coat was ruined. She said many groomers do it because they know once its done you have to do it year after year and they want the money.

Hope this helps.

rescuewench

QUOTE 10/5/2006 11:12:27 AM

Quote cannonfarms:

As a groomer, i like to see the poms in full coat, you do haowever need to have a sanitary trim done, this does the hair around genitels and under there feet to keep mud and dirt from tracking in and mabe tidying up around ears and stuff just to keep him looking neat. The pup is still going to shed shaved or full coat ones just not as noticble as the other.
Groomers use a differnt clipper that what you can get for $20 mine cost 130, they have detachible blades that are in diffrent sizes, if you use the comb attachments then you dog may look choppy.
I do not recomend you try and give the pup its first haircut if thats what you deside, its hard to do pups for the first time and even the most seasoned groomers can mess him up or cut him and novice i guarantee will..
ps ive never groomed a pom that didnt try to bite me so a muzzel woulnt be a bad idea

i like the full coat too- but yes teh sanitary trim is always nice :)

i never understand why people BUY long coated dogs then shaved them? it IRKS me. LOL

( what doesnt right!?)

i have a dog in foster was told it was a shletie pom mix ( looks more like a spitz to me ) but what ever - she sahved it every summer- thankfully the coat is coming back in thick and beautiful.

i kinda think if you want a short haired breed - get one.

JMO

RW
anasazi

QUOTE 10/5/2006 12:46:35 PM
WHy not just have your pom shaped up.. I never understand why people want their dogs shaved down.. the hair is what makes a dog cute.. If I shaved my westies down they would like large rats.. UGLY!

My advice is to find a groomer who has years of experience in the grooming world.. Im dead set against petco and petsmart as they ruin dogs! I know so many people including myself that has had a horrible experience with the Supercuts of dog grooming.

Im sure your pom is just going through that "bad hair" stage... be patient and it will pass..
rescuewench

QUOTE 10/5/2006 1:02:37 PM
i take the rescue dogs to pet co for grooming esp in winter - as i no longer have my professional clippers & blades and cannot afford new ones yet.

BUT - any long coated breeds are only to get the sanitary clippings -

UNLESS matted to the bone - we had a Lhasa poor tyke we had to have a groomer GO to the fosters home ( mobile groomer) as it was an emergency - the foster couldnt get the stench off him -

and she had to shave him to the skin.

all of it legs tail head - he was bald.

thats how BAD he was she even said she NEVER saw a dog matted that badly as if he was never brushed a day in his life.

sometimes in rescue we have no choice to do it.

many times i pick pet co as i know the head groomer and many times she will do t free or VERY discounted for us.

but dogs & cats we pull from pounds are not usually well kept pets to begin with.

that flame point OLD persian i pulled - is nolonger on deaths door - and will need her entire belly shaved - and probably all of her tail its one MASS of mat. :(

but i KNOW they are hurting her - - so i have no choice.

its a necessary evil sometimes.

RW
funnybunny

QUOTE 10/5/2006 1:17:46 PM
I have heard great things about the Furminator I believe it is called. If you are worried about the shedding, you could look into getting one of those, or something like it. It seems like a great tool to remove loose hair, and from what i've seen, removes ALOT of it, if not all.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 10/5/2006 1:39:52 PM

Quote anasazi:

WHy not just have your pom shaped up.. I never understand why people want their dogs shaved down.. the hair is what makes a dog cute.. If I shaved my westies down they would like large rats.. UGLY!

My advice is to find a groomer who has years of experience in the grooming world.. Im dead set against petco and petsmart as they ruin dogs! I know so many people including myself that has had a horrible experience with the Supercuts of dog grooming.

Im sure your pom is just going through that "bad hair" stage... be patient and it will pass..
I do agree that petsmart can produce some funky dogs, thats where i learned to groom at and you have to start some where, most have schools they send you too, others will bring in the pound pups for us to learn on..
The two groomers that i worked under were awsome though they could make anything look good.
The trouble with dogs is think of it this way not all people are going to look good in bobs or shags ect, but all poodles scnauzers and so on are suposed to look the same, try and do what you think looks best and you have an upset client, they want there funky looking scnauzer to look like the one in the picture, ugg, have you ever tried to get a pyco dog stay still and make him come out looking like prince charming.
Grooming is hard nasty work, theres nothing easy about it, why do you think they had a groomer on dirty jobs? We take pets owners neglect to brush that are matted or bite or wiggle because there not used to it and sometimes the dog cant turn out like we like it, most high end groomers wont even deal with a miss behaving dog, theyll call the owners and have it picked up, i myself weather it looks like the dog won or i did do see it through and most i sucseed on ,the others im afraid need sedation, i get referals from other groomer, they say shes crazy enough to do crazy dogs
jaymeex

QUOTE 10/5/2006 2:23:46 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I am asking because my pom is changing his puppy hair to his adult hair. He looks kinda messy even though I tried to brush him. That's why I am asking if it is ok to trim him or shave him. By shaving him I don't mean shave him down to his skin, I mean like leaving at least an inch. Surely I won't shave him at all when he has his adult coat. I love his fluffy coat or I won't get a pom. I just wanna do something to make him look better now! THANKS AGAIN
funnybunny

QUOTE 10/5/2006 2:26:32 PM

Quote jaymeex:

Thanks for all of your replies. I am asking because my pom is changing his puppy hair to his adult hair. He looks kinda messy even though I tried to brush him. That's why I am asking if it is ok to trim him or shave him. By shaving him I don't mean shave him down to his skin, I mean like leaving at least an inch. Surely I won't shave him at all when he has his adult coat. I love his fluffy coat or I won't get a pom. I just wanna do something to make him look better now! THANKS AGAIN
The furminator will help with that. A lot of Pom owners (from what i've heard) have used things like this when their pup was going through the uglies, and it helped out.
mja1103

QUOTE 10/5/2006 3:46:13 PM
A Pom going through their "uglies" is like a child going through puberty. It's perfectly okay to shape the coat, but never shave or cut too much off. This could easily damage the top coat and there is a risk that the coat will not grow back. The Pom needs both undercoat and topcoat to regulate their body temperature. The "uglies" will pass and you should be extremely careful about harming the coat.
rescuewench

QUOTE 10/6/2006 10:01:52 AM
i likethe puppy "uglies"

my GSd's go through them too:

there ears are too big for head, there feet are too big for the body,
they trip over them often and look like demented mules.

no grooming will help them.

but its a sign the babies are growing up.

- so i take a LOT of pictures and l;augh alot.

and enjoy it- it only happens once - in a few years you will look back at the pictures and say what a CUTE baby he/she was!

when he/ she is a senior you can also look back and remember fondly her bay stage and her growing.

i dont really understand why ths bothers you so much.?

but thats just me.

to ME its a milestone ..

not "ugly"

RW
mja1103

QUOTE 10/6/2006 11:25:03 AM

Quote rescuewench:

i likethe puppy "uglies"

and enjoy it- it only happens once - in a few years you will look back at the pictures and say what a CUTE baby he/she was!

when he/ she is a senior you can also look back and remember fondly her bay stage and her growing.

but thats just me.

to ME its a milestone ..

not "ugly"

RW
Before purchasing any breed it's imperative to research them. I knew from the "get-go" that Poms go through this phase and once their "ugly" duckling stage passes they come into full glory. Shaping is one thing, but to shave or cut with the potential of permanently damaging the coat is another.
funnybunny

QUOTE 10/6/2006 1:30:20 PM

Quote rescuewench:

i likethe puppy "uglies"

but thats just me.

to ME its a milestone ..

not "ugly"

RW
Mattress went through the same thing. When she was about 6-7 months old, everyone would say she was so ugly...poor baby lol. Her ears are still too big for her head, but the rest of her body has shaped up rather nicely. She still has huge paws on a short body too. I expected her to be huge, but when weighing her at the vet she's only 45 pounds. She was definitely very funny looking when she was a youngster.

Pomeranian's go through that stage yes. It's called the uglies, but I find it kind of cute. They look so scraggly looking lol. To help with the shedding, just get a deshedding tool. Do not risk damaging the coat to make the dog look better or to eliminate the shedding. Furminator has a website that shows how well it works. I think this would be good for you and your dog.
emlee3

QUOTE 10/6/2006 3:25:50 PM

Quote rescuewench:

i likethe puppy "uglies"

but thats just me.

to ME its a milestone ..

not "ugly"

RW
i also like the ugly stages of puppyhood.
big ears, long legs...it's kind of cool to watch them grow into their bodies. my dog's body grew and her head was small..eventually her head caught up to her body but then her legs were to long...than she grew into her legs and now her ears are too big for her head..lols.
i'll be sad when she stops growing..

to the op: you should NEVER shave a pomeranian..they are spitz dog that requires their thick coat for insulination from both heat and cold. you can give them a sanitary trim but you shouldn't shave it completely.
foxfire007

QUOTE 10/12/2006 9:56:11 AM
I would not shave my pom's. The reason I would'nt do it is because it will make then easier to get colds and sick and will mess up the coat and it's growth rate . You will end up with longer hair in spots .The reason I know this is because I work with a groomer and a great vet. I have also asked a lot of my friends who also have pom's. Best of luck on what you do .
snuggleslove

QUOTE 10/12/2006 10:42:38 AM

Quote funnybunny:

Mista gets shaved down during Summer months, and I have never had a problem with it, however she is an adult and loves it because of the hot weather her in Florida. As for your puppy, I really wouldn't know. Mista is never shaved down completely, and has enough hair left, but is still kept cool. As a puppy, I probably would not recommend it. All Pomeranians go through the "puppy uglies". That's really no reason to shave your puppy. It's a natural occurance with them.
Both mine get shaved in Summer it get very hot here in Florida and they love their shaves. I do it myself but I took a little caurse first by the time autum winter is rolling around they have their full coats back. I always found my male got his coat back fuller thicker and more beautiful but I also feed them food for good healthly skin and coats rich in omega oils. So they have beautiful coats. But your pom is just a puppy and I wouldn't shave him yes it looks funny but he is going through those arkward "teenage" changes :O) Also I bath my poms and let them run outside and towel dry them then I have really nice brushes that go through their coats it takes me hour to hour and a half to brush them and cut there nails once they are dry I only blow dry in winter if it is cold and we live close to georgia so it gets cold... I also brush them every day when I sit outside with my Hubby catching up on what we did durning the day I brush this is also the time they get their treat after their brush.

Post Reply New Topic