Grooming a Saint Bernard

Grooming a Saint Bernard

sitsy

QUOTE 9/4/2011 5:12:58 AM
Hello, Gus is 9 weeks old. I have been doing spot cleaning on him and he just had his first full bath yesterday. It went very well. He was relaxed and I gave him a play break between the bathing and the drying process. I do not want to over bath him. I was thinking once every 4 months with spot cleanings in between. He loves being brushed and combed so that takes a lot of the dirt out of his fur (which is still puppy fur at this point). I would like to know how often folks bath their thick furred friends.
kathystone

QUOTE 9/4/2011 3:40:26 PM
 He should have a bath and brush out every month. St Bernards have a double coat. If he is a house dog he will start to shed alot. One reason is his body is saying it is cool so the coat must grow. But then another gland is saying there is light so we must drop the coat. St.s can get skin rashes from mats in the coat especially around their back legs. Keep the hair  under his tail clipped short so he does not have "klingons". It would also be a good idea to watch for snow balls between his toes in winter if you get snow.  Use a top quality detergent free shampoo like kelco or biogroom. They bothare very concentrated and contain no detergents or harsh chemicals. SOme of these shamoos will keep him smelling fresh for several weeks.

I run a small dog rescue and we bath the dogs each month. It keeps them smelling good as well as catches any skin or body issues .Nothing is worse than  blaming your dog for smelling badly and then discovering he has a very badly matted spot on his back legs or around his neck that is infected.
sitsy

QUOTE 9/4/2011 7:53:38 PM
Thanks for the advice Kathy, I've found so much information that conflicts. I was not sure how often to bath him. He's very good about being brushed. We do it once a day, just cause it's our cuddle quiet time lol. As he's been getting more active out doors I've noticed his fur is needing a brush.

Yes we get alot of snow here. I'll be sure to watch out for snow balling.
Post Reply New Topic