Proper Use of Petzlife Oral Spray

Proper Use of Petzlife Oral Spray

tomwightlinger

QUOTE 8/23/2011 2:30:37 AM
I recent visit to our vet revealed Mighty a 9 year old terrier had  advanced periodontal disease, the treatments total about $1,600 so far.  Nevertheless a friend recommended this forum to resolve a few questions I have on the proper oral care for my remaining 2 dogs with healthy teeth.  By the way our vet continued to recommend I brush their teeth with the same toothpaste that Mighty has been using for the past 3 years.  I did a little research and purchased Petzlife from VitaHound.  The instructions indicate no need to brush or use other products.  I have been using the product regularly for about 4 months and my dog's teeth are cleaner but I'm unsure if this is going to prevent the onset of oral disease.

kathystone

QUOTE 8/23/2011 10:18:16 AM
 I run a small dog rescue in Missouri. We have a problem with dental disease in the majority of our incoming dogs. I use a butter knife to scrape the tartar off. If the teeth are loose, I wait until I have the dogs spayed/neutered and then have my vet do a cleaning. It costs $125. I think you have been ripped off! There is no reason to do more than clean or extract. Even when Doc has to pull ALL the teeth, it is never more than $150.  Dental cleaning once a year  is good but if your vet is going to rip you off, just use a scraper you can order on line and do it yourself. Always go down when cleaning the tartar off, and put your thumb under the bottom of the tooth so you don't scrape the gums. I also use baking soda on a dry tooth brush weekly on the dogs and almost all have perfectly pearly white teeth. The dogs get a rawhide chew every week and that helps too.
sandratrusting

QUOTE 12/16/2011 2:12:31 AM
Wow Tom, I agree with Kathy your vet is pricey.  I'm involved in dog rescue programs all over Colorado and cleaning a dog's teeth is important to improving their adopt-ability.  I found using a more aggressive treatment schedule with Petzlife's oral gel works the best, you should also concentrate the gel on the areas of the dog's teeth and gums that have the most plaque and tarter.  I have tried shopping around various sites but they rarely keep there prices the same or have the stuff in stock, I was pleased to see you discovered VitaHound.com I have been using them for the past 2 years and there price has stayed the same plus I always have received my orders in a couple days.  I also would suggest visiting 1800petmeds there great for pet meds of course.

Post Reply New Topic