Help! Knots in horse mane

Help! Knots in horse mane

beaglebrat

QUOTE 7/2/2009 9:22:13 AM
I apologize if this section is supposed to be "dog only" but I am hoping to get some help. I have a black Arabian mare with probably a 3 foot long mane that is just gorgous. However, she flips her head around like they do and it has become VERY KNOTTED in a section. Also underneath a section also seems rather matted together.

It would break my heart to lose this mane completely. I have been spraying Pam cooking spray on it to loosen the knots. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

maddythemutt

QUOTE 7/2/2009 11:35:55 AM
Saw this on animal planet grooming show.. try rubbing mats with either baking soda or baking powder to loosen them. Also.. I know they are for dogs, but they do sell dematters on this site, you could try using one of those to detangle the mats.

kathystone

QUOTE 9/18/2009 3:44:46 AM
 We got a pony at a dog auction ( Don't ask....) and his mane was one big knot with cockleburrs in it. His tail was even worse. We used creme rinse that is usually diluted 60% .(From petedge.com)   Wet the mane and tail then  douse with the creme rinse full strength. Rub it in. Start at the bottom of the mane or tail and comb just a few hairs at a time. It took almost 3 hours just to do his mane on the pony. Once it was all combed out, we braided it in large braids, using a piece of tail hair to tie it. One of the Amish guys at the sale said he used wd40. Good luck
billmargaret0987

QUOTE 12/6/2009 7:14:57 AM
Try to find dog grooming shampoos like Shellguard. Take note, you are trying to make the dog well groomed and to keep away from fleas and ticks. All you need to know about dog shampoos in this link, try to read it then consult to your vet ;p

woodwardschnauzers

QUOTE 11/27/2013 10:26:15 AM
WD-40. Spray it in the knot until it drips. It will loosen make the hair very slippery and you can comb out the knot. After the knot and mats are combed out, wash the mane thoroughly, and allow to dry. Braid the mane in long braids, about one or two inches of mane per braid. Band the bottoms of the braids with braid binders, or small rubber bands. You will have to undo these braids about once a week and re-do her mane to keep it from itching and from her rubbing out the braids. Super long manes are a lot of work, especially with horses that toss their heads.
Post Reply New Topic