HOW TO HOUSETRAIN MY 6 MONTH OH MIN PIN

HOW TO HOUSETRAIN MY 6 MONTH OH MIN PIN

jgoderwis

QUOTE 11/30/2007 5:20:28 PM
I GOT MY MIN-PIN IN JULY AND SHE IS PRETTY WELL HOUSE TRAINED BUT SHE STILL GOES IN THE HOUSE. SHE MAY GO A DAY OR TWO AND NOT HAVE AN ACCIDENT. MY HUSBAND IS THREATING TO GET RID OF HER. MY KIDS AND I LOVE HER AND DO NOT WANT TO GET RID OF HER BUT I CAN'T STAND HER GOING IN MY HOUSE. AND IF SHE IS NOT HOUSEBROKE HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO LEAVE HER WITH ANYONE WHEN WE GO ON TRIPS. PLEASE HELP BEFORE I HAVE TO GET RID OF MY DOG.
lganio

QUOTE 11/30/2007 5:56:50 PM
Hello and welcome. First of all, please turn of your caps. It is often considered yelling and rude. As for your min pin....how old is it? It can often take a smaller breed a year to be completely trained. Make sure you are cleaning up any spots that have been urinated on very well...there are products on the market to assist with this or I use vinigar and water. I also have a min pin who is over a year old and occasionally still has an accident but we find that it is usually our own fault because we haven't been as attentive as we should have been. They are small dogs with small bladders.

Be sure to go back to the basics if the pup still is having problems. Try crate training. My animals have always developed a routine and we are aware of the approximate time they will have to go out. Also learn what signals they are giving you. Every dog is different.

Small dog, small bladder. This is something that could have been more researched before getting a little dog. Considering giving a dog up because they have training accidents in my mind is not an option.
suebgone

QUOTE 11/30/2007 9:43:11 PM
do you have her on a set schedule for going out several times a day?

has she been checked for a UTI?
maoseger1010

QUOTE 12/1/2007 6:30:22 AM

Quote jgoderwis:

I GOT MY MIN-PIN IN JULY AND SHE IS PRETTY WELL HOUSE TRAINED BUT SHE STILL GOES IN THE HOUSE. SHE MAY GO A DAY OR TWO AND NOT HAVE AN ACCIDENT. MY HUSBAND IS THREATING TO GET RID OF HER. MY KIDS AND I LOVE HER AND DO NOT WANT TO GET RID OF HER BUT I CAN'T STAND HER GOING IN MY HOUSE. AND IF SHE IS NOT HOUSEBROKE HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO LEAVE HER WITH ANYONE WHEN WE GO ON TRIPS. PLEASE HELP BEFORE I HAVE TO GET RID OF MY DOG.
Heres the first thing, Potty training toy breeds can and normaly does take months not weeks to happen. You have not had this dog nearly long enough to be thinking she never going to be trained. Second Dogs are forever not until I'm sick of them peeing in my house. Once you and your husband have truely excepted that, you will find a way to live with the dog you have. Here's some ideas, One change the way you see "accidents" they are not accidents YOU weren't doing your job. It is up to you to be sure your dog does not potty in the house, its not the dogs job to make sure it doesn't potty in the house. I know that sounds funny but honestly once you realize that when your dog potties YOU failed Your dog, the dog did not Fail you. The way you react to it will change and so will the behavior. Your dog needs confinement and regular feeding schedule. No more free roam. Free roam is like a baby without a diaper. We all know what happens then. :) Block off the kitchen or a bathroom. (baby gates are great but they also have x-pens you can get at most pet stores) Unless she has just pottied (both poo and pee) and you are playing with her, she needs to be in that room. In your case I would not suggest a crate. Do not free feed her. Take her out first thing in the morning, go out with her and make sure she does her biz. If she goes out and pees and wants to go back in right away see if you can encourage her to poop first. IF she does not poop then put her back in her area and in five to ten minutes take her out again for her to poop. Some dogs need to eat before they poop. So you may need to take her out to pee bring her in feed her and then take her back out to poop. No free roam. Once she has pee'd and poop'd you can allow her out to play with you or the children. No longer than 30 minutes. Then back in her area.

In the first few weeks you need to take her out every 30 minutes when she's wake. She can't potty in the house if she's already pottied outside. You simply MUST go outside with her. Stand over her and say Potty Potty Potty and Good girl Good girl when she does it. Many dogs do well with treats.

IF after a few months of this you are still having problems, there are potty pads you can buy.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! YOU CAN. Once you have you'll never be sorry and in a couple of years you'll forget how hard it was and just remember what a great dog you have.

angelzoo

QUOTE 12/1/2007 11:31:17 AM
Read this article, you may find something helpful, make modifications as needed, your dog may need to go out more frequently or not as often, etc.

The key is to simply never give your dog the chance to have an accident in the first place, thew fewer accidents you allow her to get away with the closer you get to her being potty trained. The more accidents she DOES get away with will be a step backwards.

http://angel.pwnd.org/dog/housebreakingyourdog.html

Yes it could take about a year to fully house train a small breed like this.

I have a foster min pin just a little over 1 year old. No idea if he was house trained or paper trained in his old home, but we started back over from square one with him.
minpingirlee

QUOTE 12/1/2007 12:59:33 PM

With everyone's advice so far. I have a 2 year old Min Pin and potty training was not easy. Many times when she was younger my parents had threatened to get rid of her. I finally shaped up my act and like one of the other posters said I realized it was my fault for not taking her out. It took a little over a year but now I can happily say that she is completely potty trained. Don't give up!
-MPG
jgoderwis

QUOTE 12/2/2007 8:36:45 PM

Quote maoseger1010:

Heres the first thing, Potty training toy breeds can and normaly does take months not weeks to happen. You have not had this dog nearly long enough to be thinking she never going to be trained. Second Dogs are forever not until I'm sick of them peeing in my house. Once you and your husband have truely excepted that, you will find a way to live with the dog you have. Here's some ideas, One change the way you see "accidents" they are not accidents YOU weren't doing your job. It is up to you to be sure your dog does not potty in the house, its not the dogs job to make sure it doesn't potty in the house. I know that sounds funny but honestly once you realize that when your dog potties YOU failed Your dog, the dog did not Fail you. The way you react to it will change and so will the behavior. Your dog needs confinement and regular feeding schedule. No more free roam. Free roam is like a baby without a diaper. We all know what happens then. :) Block off the kitchen or a bathroom. (baby gates are great but they also have x-pens you can get at most pet stores) Unless she has just pottied (both poo and pee) and you are playing with her, she needs to be in that room. In your case I would not suggest a crate. Do not free feed her. Take her out first thing in the morning, go out with her and make sure she does her biz. If she goes out and pees and wants to go back in right away see if you can encourage her to poop first. IF she does not poop then put her back in her area and in five to ten minutes take her out again for her to poop. Some dogs need to eat before they poop. So you may need to take her out to pee bring her in feed her and then take her back out to poop. No free roam. Once she has pee'd and poop'd you can allow her out to play with you or the children. No longer than 30 minutes. Then back in her area.

In the first few weeks you need to take her out every 30 minutes when she's wake. She can't potty in the house if she's already pottied outside. You simply MUST go outside with her. Stand over her and say Potty Potty Potty and Good girl Good girl when she does it. Many dogs do well with treats.

IF after a few months of this you are still having problems, there are potty pads you can buy.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! YOU CAN. Once you have you'll never be sorry and in a couple of years you'll forget how hard it was and just remember what a great dog you have.

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE ABOUT IT MAY BE MY FAULT. WELL I AGREE SOMETIMES I HAVE LET HER GO TOO LONG. BUT MOSTLY IT IS MY KIDS THAT DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO HER THAT CAUSES HER TO HAVE ACCIDENTS. IF I AM AROUND SHE HARDLY EVER HAS AN ACCIDENT. BUT IF I'M NOT AROUND MY KIDS DONT KEEP A GOOD EYE ON HER AS I DO AND THAT'S WHEN SHE SEEMS TO HAVE HER ACCIDENTS. AND OF COURSE MY HUSBAND JUST HAPPENS TO BE THERE WHEN IT HAPPENS. I HAVE ALOT MORE PATIENCE THAN MY HUSBAND. WE HAVE HAD JACK RUSSELLS BEFORE AND ALL OF THEM WERE VERY EASY TO TRAIN, BUT MY MIN PIN IS SO MUCH DIFFERENT FROM THEM. I AM TRYING A NEW APPROACH TO MY TRAINING WITH HER. I AM GOING BACK TO THE BASICS AND JUST KEEPING A BETTER EYE ON HER AND TAKING HER OUT AFTER EATING, SLEEPING OR PLAYING AND HOPEFULLY SHE WILL ADVENTUALLY GET IT. I KNOW I HAVE TO HAVE MORE PATIENCE WITH HER BECAUSE OF HER BREED AND THEY ARE VERY STUBURN. BUT I HOPE I CAN JUST CONVINCE MY HUSBAND IN TO BELIEVEING SHE WILL GET IT.
lganio

QUOTE 12/2/2007 8:59:28 PM
Perhaps if you can't be around for a period of time set a timer for your hubby or children to take her out...or crate her while you are gone.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 12/2/2007 10:19:45 PM

Quote jgoderwis:

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE ABOUT IT MAY BE MY FAULT. WELL I AGREE SOMETIMES I HAVE LET HER GO TOO LONG. BUT MOSTLY IT IS MY KIDS THAT DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO HER THAT CAUSES HER TO HAVE ACCIDENTS. IF I AM AROUND SHE HARDLY EVER HAS AN ACCIDENT. BUT IF I'M NOT AROUND MY KIDS DONT KEEP A GOOD EYE ON HER AS I DO AND THAT'S WHEN SHE SEEMS TO HAVE HER ACCIDENTS. AND OF COURSE MY HUSBAND JUST HAPPENS TO BE THERE WHEN IT HAPPENS. I HAVE ALOT MORE PATIENCE THAN MY HUSBAND. WE HAVE HAD JACK RUSSELLS BEFORE AND ALL OF THEM WERE VERY EASY TO TRAIN, BUT MY MIN PIN IS SO MUCH DIFFERENT FROM THEM. I AM TRYING A NEW APPROACH TO MY TRAINING WITH HER. I AM GOING BACK TO THE BASICS AND JUST KEEPING A BETTER EYE ON HER AND TAKING HER OUT AFTER EATING, SLEEPING OR PLAYING AND HOPEFULLY SHE WILL ADVENTUALLY GET IT. I KNOW I HAVE TO HAVE MORE PATIENCE WITH HER BECAUSE OF HER BREED AND THEY ARE VERY STUBURN. BUT I HOPE I CAN JUST CONVINCE MY HUSBAND IN TO BELIEVEING SHE WILL GET IT.
I don't know the age of your children but it shouldn't be left up to them to care for the dog when your not around. The other adult in the house should be doing it. If the other adult is unwilling to help, confinement is key.

angelzoo

QUOTE 12/3/2007 9:14:51 AM
Children don't usually have the sense and know how of the proper care level a dog needs.
And if any adult lacks this same knowledge or just does not have the patience it takes...
Then it would seem they would not be the best option for watching over this pup.

A min pin is a much smaller dog then a JRT. Their bladders are small meaning they require less food, less water, but may do well getting both more frequently.
With that comes the need for being taken out more frequently.

It's like a young child. Until they are old enough it's not a matter of knowing where to go potty and where not to. It's a matter on if they are PYSICALLY ready and able to hold it that long.
Same thing applies with young dogs, and small dogs. The smaller, the shorter amount of time they can hold it.
So as you can imagine, that is one factor which is simply out of the dogs control, it needs you and depends on you to provide that chance of release reliably.

If you ever catch the dog in the act of having an accident indoors it's vital that you 1.) stop it, 2.) correct it and 3.) Bring them to the right place to go potty.
If you simply catch them and scold them, then the dog is just going to learn to not go potty when you are around, he will wander off and hide from you to go potty.
Scolding him, but not training him, won't house train a dog. =D
maoseger1010

QUOTE 12/3/2007 9:30:06 AM

Quote angelzoo:

Children don't usually have the sense and know how of the proper care level a dog needs.
And if any adult lacks this same knowledge or just does not have the patience it takes...
Then it would seem they would not be the best option for watching over this pup.

A min pin is a much smaller dog then a JRT. Their bladders are small meaning they require less food, less water, but may do well getting both more frequently.
With that comes the need for being taken out more frequently.

It's like a young child. Until they are old enough it's not a matter of knowing where to go potty and where not to. It's a matter on if they are PYSICALLY ready and able to hold it that long.
Same thing applies with young dogs, and small dogs. The smaller, the shorter amount of time they can hold it.
So as you can imagine, that is one factor which is simply out of the dogs control, it needs you and depends on you to provide that chance of release reliably.

If you ever catch the dog in the act of having an accident indoors it's vital that you 1.) stop it, 2.) correct it and 3.) Bring them to the right place to go potty.
If you simply catch them and scold them, then the dog is just going to learn to not go potty when you are around, he will wander off and hide from you to go potty.
Scolding him, but not training him, won't house train a dog. =D
"Scolding him, but not training him, won't house train a dog. =D"

Very well said!!!
Post Reply New Topic