Shih Tzu on Airplanes?

Shih Tzu on Airplanes?

srebant

QUOTE 7/4/2007 3:07:54 PM
Hello out there! I am getting ready to visit some family on a 3 hour flight and my pet sitter arrangements fell through at the last minute.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on flying w/a Shih Tzu? I know they are a short nosed dog breed and I'm concerned, any suggestions?

Thank you,
jujubz

QUOTE 7/4/2007 7:04:24 PM
I personally have not flown with a dog, but a friend of mine flies about 4 times a year with her pug (also a short nosed breed).

There are a couple of things to consider, first and foremost the airline that you are taking. Not all will transport pets. Your dog might be small enough to take into the plane cabin, depending on the particular airlines rules (this would be the recommended option for flying with your pet). You will need to get a FAA approved carrier, I know that Sherpas are popular and most of their styles are approved, but there are others out there. Also, there might be a limit as to the number of pets a plane will transport in the cabin, so you are going to have to call them to let them know about it asap. If you have to take the dog as checked baggage or cargo you may run into restrictions for the breed and the time of year since it is hot out now. There will also probably be a fee to pay. Some airlines even have pet frequent flier programs though.

You are also going to have to take the dog to the vet before you fly. You are probably going to be required to show a certificate of health to fly, and it usually has to be issued no more than 30 days before you travel. If you are traveling to a different state, you might have to check the rabies laws...I know here a 3 year shot is required, but if you travel somewhere where its every year you might have to get one depending on when your dog had its last shot.

If you are staying with people when you travel you should also make sure its alright with them that you're bringing the dog (or check about the pet policies at the hotels).
maoseger1010

QUOTE 7/6/2007 10:03:44 AM

Quote srebant:

Hello out there! I am getting ready to visit some family on a 3 hour flight and my pet sitter arrangements fell through at the last minute.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on flying w/a Shih Tzu? I know they are a short nosed dog breed and I'm concerned, any suggestions?

Thank you,
I used to fly with my Shih tzu all the time.

Of course he was in a sherpa in the cabin with me. Are you planning to have him with you are in cargo?
Post Reply New Topic