I want to give my dog percocet. Is it safe?

I want to give my dog percocet. Is it safe?

greatdanedog

QUOTE 6/26/2007 4:04:51 AM
My Great Dane is old (nine) and was born with hip dysplasia.

She cries out in the middle of the night. She wants to get up and move but she can't. We have to help move her to make her feel comfortable.

I give her Rimadyl. My understanding is that Rmadyl is just an antiinflammatory.

I want to give her percocet for the pain to make her comfortable in her elder years?

Is give in a dog percocet safe?
Does it even help if given to a dog?
How much do you give a 145 pound dog?

Thanks
text
gbat1stop

QUOTE 6/26/2007 7:19:13 AM
Isn't this something you should discuss with your vet. I would not attempt to give my dogs any perscription meds without a vet prescribing it.
greatdanedog

QUOTE 6/26/2007 10:30:28 AM
Hi Gbat1stop:

Thanks for your reply and good question. The vet just told me to give her Rimadyl only and that I could also give her (Baby) Bufferin. It is not helping. She really needs a pain med.

We don't give humans asprin if they break their leg for pain.... we give them percocet/codine.

Isn't there something on the market like that for a dog? I asked my vet and she said no.
funnybunny

QUOTE 6/26/2007 11:13:23 AM

Quote greatdanedog:

Hi Gbat1stop:

Thanks for your reply and good question. The vet just told me to give her Rimadyl only and that I could also give her (Baby) Bufferin. It is not helping. She really needs a pain med.

We don't give humans asprin if they break their leg for pain.... we give them percocet/codine.

Isn't there something on the market like that for a dog? I asked my vet and she said no.
You say she was born with hip dysplasia. Was surgery an option before? What about now? Even at 9 years old, your dog could live for a while yet and while there is an increased risk of complications from anesthesia and the surgery, if your dog is in severe pain, it seems as though that would be an option. However, i'm not a veterinarian. If you're not completely satisfied with the advice of your current veterinarian, I would get a second opinion regarding pain control in your dog and what could possibly be done about the hip dysplasia, or at least more relief. Some people use aspirin and ibuprofen for their pets pain, but I won't suggest anything to you as I don't know if it would be proper for your animal. I would get a second opinion, ask about the possibility of a prescription medication such as the ones you were asking about, and ask about aspirin and ibuprofen.
noskiveez

QUOTE 6/26/2007 11:24:39 AM
I would certainly NOT give the dog anything that was not prescribed to her. She may not be able to tolerate the medication firstly and secondly giving her something she was not prescribed would mean that you were guessing at what the proper dose would be. I wouldnt do it.

I would take her to another vet if you arent happy with the cousre of treatment she is recieving from the vet you currently have.
lganio

QUOTE 6/26/2007 11:58:26 AM
I agree with a second opinion. If you did give it and there were adverse reactions, not only might it seriously damage your dog, isn't it against the law to give prescribed medication to others? This could cause further problems.
rescuewench

QUOTE 6/26/2007 12:32:31 PM

#1- tell your vet yuo want BETTER pain management for your dog PERIOD - if he refuses - get a new vet .

#2- mega doeses of ESTER C will help with the pain and help repair the damage that is causing the pain. i would say for a dog your size 4000 mgs a day and possibly up to 5000 mgs a day - it is NOT a drug and works better alone - it is only a vitamin i posted great info about this BUT its PAGES back ( REALLY far) if you want to E mail me at AWARescue@aol.com

i will be happy to e mail you the information ( its LONG but very informative- it cant hurt to read it) that you can read and you might wish to try that route.

XRW
arachyd

QUOTE 6/26/2007 5:49:09 PM
I have to say something here. "We" don't prescribe percocet for people in pain. Doctors do. It is a prescription medication and you shouldn't be using it for any other purpose than what is printed on the prescription bottle. If your dog is in pain so severe that a mild, otc pain killer does not help you need a vet to prescribe something stronger. If your dog is not being helped by your vet you should seek a second opinion from another vet but don't go playing around with prescription medications on your own. It might seem like the right thing to do but you could end up killing your dog or destroying its kidneys or other organs since dogs don't react the same as people do to many medicines. The ester C won't hurt and may help.
greatdanedog

QUOTE 6/26/2007 6:04:29 PM

Quote funnybunny:

You say she was born with hip dysplasia. Was surgery an option before? What about now? Even at 9 years old, your dog could live for a while yet and while there is an increased risk of complications from anesthesia and the surgery, if your dog is in severe pain, it seems as though that would be an option. However, i'm not a veterinarian. If you're not completely satisfied with the advice of your current veterinarian, I would get a second opinion regarding pain control in your dog and what could possibly be done about the hip dysplasia, or at least more relief. Some people use aspirin and ibuprofen for their pets pain, but I won't suggest anything to you as I don't know if it would be proper for your animal. I would get a second opinion, ask about the possibility of a prescription medication such as the ones you were asking about, and ask about aspirin and ibuprofen.
Hello:

Good question funnybunny. I took her to a well known vet that specializes in orthopedic medicine for dogs. I asked him if this was his dog would he give the dog the hip surgeries and he said he would not.

I do not want to put her through the pain of the surgery now because of her age. I just want to control her pain when it gets too much for her. She is not in pain all the time. Maybe once every few months but it is hard to hear her cry.
greatdanedog

QUOTE 6/26/2007 6:09:36 PM

Quote rescuewench:

#1- tell your vet yuo want BETTER pain management for your dog PERIOD - if he refuses - get a new vet .

#2- mega doeses of ESTER C will help with the pain and help repair the damage that is causing the pain. i would say for a dog your size 4000 mgs a day and possibly up to 5000 mgs a day - it is NOT a drug and works better alone - it is only a vitamin i posted great info about this BUT its PAGES back ( REALLY far) if you want to E mail me at AWARescue@aol.com

i will be happy to e mail you the information ( its LONG but very informative- it cant hurt to read it) that you can read and you might wish to try that route.

XRW
I did consult with a second vet and they told me there were really no pain meds for dogs...just the Rimadyl and others like it in its class of meds. We did try something else (can't remember the name of it now) for her but it did not work as well as the Rimadyl.

A few have suggested the Ester C. I will have to check into that.

I guess my main question is this:

IS THERE ANYTHING OUT ON THE MARKET TO CONTROL PAIN THAT WOULD BE COMPARABLE TO CODINE/PERCOET FOR DOGS?text

She does not need it all the time just once in a while. I just don't want to see her in pain.

She is very healthy and lean...its just her back legs are weak and cause her problems.
greatdanedog

QUOTE 6/26/2007 6:12:17 PM

Quote arachyd:

I have to say something here. "We" don't prescribe percocet for people in pain. Doctors do. It is a prescription medication and you shouldn't be using it for any other purpose than what is printed on the prescription bottle. If your dog is in pain so severe that a mild, otc pain killer does not help you need a vet to prescribe something stronger. If your dog is not being helped by your vet you should seek a second opinion from another vet but don't go playing around with prescription medications on your own. It might seem like the right thing to do but you could end up killing your dog or destroying its kidneys or other organs since dogs don't react the same as people do to many medicines. The ester C won't hurt and may help.
Point well made and taken.

I sure don't want to harm her.

I guess just deperate to make her feel better.

I gave her Rimadyl and a hot bath this morning and she seems to be doing better.

However, on those nights when she struggles it kills me.
boswer

QUOTE 6/26/2007 6:18:34 PM

Quote greatdanedog:

My Great Dane is old (nine) and was born with hip dysplasia.

She cries out in the middle of the night. She wants to get up and move but she can't. We have to help move her to make her feel comfortable.

I give her Rimadyl. My understanding is that Rmadyl is just an antiinflammatory.

I want to give her percocet for the pain to make her comfortable in her elder years?

Is give in a dog percocet safe?
Does it even help if given to a dog?
How much do you give a 145 pound dog?

Thanks
text
Emergency vet clinic told me to give my dog Ascriptin for pain. My dog does not have hip dysplasia though. Please run this by your vet and see what he thinks about using Ascriptin for pain. Not sure it will help your danes hips. I know you dane is 9 years old but there are alot of side effects of Rimadyl. More so than any other NSAID. Look on the web there are tons of articles referring to Pzifers law suits. Maybe check out alternative medicine with a holistic vet if all else fails.
Boswer
suebgone

QUOTE 6/26/2007 8:35:22 PM
rimadyl IS for pain as well as an antiinflamatory. it is often sent home with dogs after surgery.

she is on a thick cushy bed I hope, like a folded up really thick comforter?

I agree about not doing the surgery. certainly not on a 9 yr old giant breed.

have you considered the combo? VERY effective & available at WM

http://www.biosynergy.com/GCMSM.htm
rescuewench

QUOTE 6/26/2007 9:17:20 PM
dane i sent you the info - you got mail.
:)

XRW
cannonfarms

QUOTE 6/27/2007 7:46:56 PM
i dont know if it is safe, but a few things that are said to help with other danes i know, is willow bark for the pain, the C like XRW said, and acupunture and chriopractic care. some even just go ahead and do the wheelchair thing at that point so that the dog can do what it wants with out having to move painful joints.
Chicken and pig feet will help some also. MSM is another joint supliment that helps my 23 year old twh act two, so i can testify to the works of it. Its hard to watch these gental giants fall from grace, but keep in mind alot of things are toxic to dogs that arnt to us, so find a more helpful vet.
caheck

QUOTE 6/27/2007 8:46:58 PM
I most definitely would NOT give her human pain meds. Dogs metabolize things differently than humans and even innocent sounding meds (like acetaminophine (Tylenol)) can be lethal to dogs in very small doses. I would call other vets to get their opinions. Pain meds are tricky in dogs. I know you don't want to risk losing your dog when you're only trying to help her.
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 6/27/2007 8:58:50 PM

Quote cannonfarms:

i dont know if it is safe, but a few things that are said to help with other danes i know, is willow bark for the pain, the C like XRW said, and acupunture and chriopractic care. some even just go ahead and do the wheelchair thing at that point so that the dog can do what it wants with out having to move painful joints.
Chicken and pig feet will help some also. MSM is another joint supliment that helps my 23 year old twh act two, so i can testify to the works of it. Its hard to watch these gental giants fall from grace, but keep in mind alot of things are toxic to dogs that arnt to us, so find a more helpful vet.
Willow bark is what they make Asperin out of. So instead of running to an herb store trying to find it, just get some Asperin, at least that way the dose is constant.
Also, I've given my dogs Motrin (Ibuprofin) in times of needing pain meds. I trust it more than any other pain reliever out there as far as non-RX goes.
When figuring out a dog's dose for human meds, figure out what the dose would be for a human who weighs the same as the dog. Then, cut 1/3 from it and give the other 2/3. Your vet can give you a more precise dosing method. And as someone else already mentioned, you'll want the dose to be lower because dogs don't metabolize things like we do.
rescuewench

QUOTE 6/27/2007 9:28:20 PM
the VET is well able to pain manage the dog.

however if you JUST give the remedy 2 weeks to work you MAY be surprised..

vets can at the least give phenobarb,

good grief is your vet a sadist?

newfer

QUOTE 2/15/2008 8:03:08 PM
Look, your dane is like a human at 110 years old. Whatever it takes to make the dog comfortable until you can make the hard decision at this point is ethically defensible. I just gave a newf percocet for a trauma to the wrist joint. There is a big difference between what works and what a vet is willing to put his/her name to.
jewels77

QUOTE 6/3/2008 11:53:55 AM
I read your posting and first of all want to tell you-I feel your pain! There is nothing in this world that hurts me as much as watching one of my dogs suffer with pain!

My Dalmatian is 13yrs old. A few years back she started having terrible pain in her hips. Watching her try to sit/lay down, and trying to get up was painstaking! A friend of mine reccomended Cosequin. She said that she had been giving it to her horses, and that it was miraculous-and can I just tell you; she was right!!!
I began Kysha on it, and am so greatful that I did. Follow the instructions on the bottle exactly and you will notice a HUGE difference in your baby.
The manufacturers now make a new-and-improved formula so Cosequin is no longer avail., it is now sold as DASEQIUN.
I'm telling you--get this product from your vet!!You will be AMAZED!
I ran out for a wk. and she could barley get up, so I had to start her again on the intro. dose. Now back to 1 a day-she runs around like a puppy! (it actually scares me! lol)
Please-get it, and givce it a try for a couple months-you will be soooo glad that you did!
Post Reply New Topic