Nigerian Puppy Scam

puppygalaxy

QUOTE 2/14/2009 8:41:19 PM
FRAUD - FRAUD - FRAUD - FRAUD

loveablepuppies

QUOTE 2/15/2009 12:23:44 AM

Quote puppygalaxy:

FRAUD - FRAUD - FRAUD - FRAUD

This happened to me... watermark all your photos with your website address, it will help some.
puppygalaxy

QUOTE 2/15/2009 4:48:07 PM

Quote loveablepuppies:

This happened to me... watermark all your photos with your website address, it will help some.
Hey,

I have a blanket with my logo in the back and the name that its always used in my pictures, either way I just think a lot of people will fall for this scammer!
thedonner2357bull

QUOTE 2/15/2009 11:44:31 PM
i too was suckered into this entire scam thing going on...:(

i am searching all over now and looking more into this scam and reporting many of the emails that are all in on this..only bummer is that it is endless
loveablepuppies

QUOTE 2/16/2009 12:25:57 AM

Quote thedonner2357bull:

i too was suckered into this entire scam thing going on...:(

i am searching all over now and looking more into this scam and reporting many of the emails that are all in on this..only bummer is that it is endless
Very sad and very true, I found you get a lot further trying to educate others. The scammers have been doing this for as long as I can remember it has just really blown up now.
sabrinalyon

QUOTE 2/16/2009 9:45:48 PM
I GOT SCAMED! BY A "NIGERIAN PRIEST" TELLING ME THE CLIMATE IS TO BAD FOR HER OVER THERE THAT SHE NEEDS A GOOD HOME GOD BLESS YOU. DO NOT FALL FOR IT LIKE I DID I SENT THE MONEY FIRST AND SAW EVERYONES FORUMS ABOUT THIS AFTER THEY GOT THE MONEY. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO GET THIS FIXED PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
loveablepuppies

QUOTE 2/16/2009 10:12:16 PM

Quote sabrinalyon:

I GOT SCAMED! BY A "NIGERIAN PRIEST" TELLING ME THE CLIMATE IS TO BAD FOR HER OVER THERE THAT SHE NEEDS A GOOD HOME GOD BLESS YOU. DO NOT FALL FOR IT LIKE I DID I SENT THE MONEY FIRST AND SAW EVERYONES FORUMS ABOUT THIS AFTER THEY GOT THE MONEY. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO GET THIS FIXED PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
There is no getting your money back once it leaves the country.
sthai11

QUOTE 2/24/2009 10:51:47 PM
*edited*

I was looking for cheap and cute dogs. And these 2 email pop out in the ad. They are from Cameroon. I turn both down since I heard that they are usually scammer.
One offers pomeranian and another scammer one offer teacup yorkie. Be careful, I guess....Anyway, the photos they send, the puppies are so cute....
pkenny

QUOTE 3/16/2009 12:44:58 PM
I almost got duped into this as well. I was looking on the Houston Chronicle's website and found two different ads claiming to be selling english bulldogs for $250. I thought this was the deal of a lifetime. After getting in contact through e-mail, because there was no number to reach them at until later, I was told they were in West Africa on a missionary from a church. They asked if I was Christian and if I could take good care of the dog. Luckily and unfortunatley, a friend of my wife's got conned like this and told us about it. When I looked it up online I read word for word everything that I had gone through up to that point. Of course this guy is still trying to get money claiming the dog is on it's way here now. He must be a pretty trusting person seeing as he hasn't gotten a dime from me and already spent thousands of dollars flying her to Houston.
abc_123

QUOTE 4/19/2009 1:49:45 PM
I almost fell for the scam and I'm so mad at myself. I had my credit card out and ready to make the payment through Western Union. I checked their fraud section first and read an article about people finding lost puppies. I found this ad on Kijiji Classy AKC Female Yorkie for $200. I sent him some questions and responded quickly.

Thanks for the interest regarding my lovely girl, am so happy to read from you,however i want you to know that i still have Taina with me, and she is currently doing fine,Am currently looking for a caring family for her, and am not after the money, am only looking for a caring parent to look after Taina,Taina is AKC reg,vet checked yorkie mixed and dewormed all her shots given up to date, she is Show potential,Current vaccinations, Veterinarian examin,love to play with other pet around her, and also play with her toys and dolls.she adapt fast to any environment she finds her self.

All her papers will accompany her,she is potty trained,safe with kid and other pet, she is 10 weeks old, will weigh 3-4lbs at full grown,the reason why am looking for new lovely family for my baby is because i don't really have time to look after her here in West Africa,and the weather is not too good for her over here.

I came to West Africa, to visit the Motherless and the less privilege.but i will be sending her to you via a private pet airline, which will only take 9hrs for her to be delivered to you, and also she will be with a shipping agent on there way to you.and also i want you to know that you will have to make their delivery payment via Western Union Money Gram which is $200 including handling's,so i want you to kindly get back to me with full receiver's name of the pup,address,nearest airport and also a phone number, so that i can forward it to the delivery company asap. so i want you to promise me that you will take very good of her as soon as you get her I hope to read from you
Thanks for your time.

Stay Blessed

I sent another e-mail asking for more pictures of her and confirming the price. I also asked some more detailed questions about the puppy, but he didn't answer them in his next reply. I stupidly gave him my full name, address and home and cell phone numbers.
abc_123

QUOTE 4/19/2009 1:50:58 PM
This was the second e-mail.

Dear,

Thanks for the Email again,In the attachment is the Update pics of Precious Taina,You pronounce her T-A-I-N-A.She is a Perfect Baby,Well socialized,Current on all Vaccination and Dewormings.You are to pay her Delivery Fee only which is the $200.

Await your Update.

Stay Blessed.

He attached two more pictures of the puppy. It's a yorkie poo against a pink background and they're tiny pictures, probably taken with a cell phone.

He called me on my cell phone, but there was loud music in the background and he spoke with a strange accent so I couldn't understand him and ended up telling him to keep it to just e-mails since I was having such a hard time understanding him over the phone.
abc_123

QUOTE 4/19/2009 1:52:11 PM
Thanks For Getting Back To Me, Am So excited!! my baby has gotten a new home, am so excited, i want you to know that am more than happy delivering my pup to you, she will come with all her papers, she wont quarantine cuz she was born in the USA and also she will come with all her papers to show she is very ok, i do believe my baby will be very fine with you that is why am so excited, i do have a delivery agent who will be helping me out with the delivery, she will be delivered to your Nearest Airport, and you will receive her the next day okay. she is Taina By name, she hates to be left alone, please i do want you to promise me you will take very good care of her. Only my name will be allowed to receieve her at the Toronto Pearson International Airport. ok. am assuring you as soon as the payment is confirmed, i will pay for her airway bill, i will send you some informations about her air way bill, so to show where your money has gone okay. at this point the next step is payment, i want you to look any Western Union and make the payment, to make the payment here is the information below. immediately the payment is confirmed i will get back to you please be rest assured you will get her, am also trusting you that is why i am willing to give her to you, so you can also give me that little trust ok. IN GOD I TRUST

Receivers Name: XXXXX
Address: XXXXXXXX
City: Surulere
State: Lagos
Zipcode: 23401
Amount to send: $200

As soon as you send the payment from the Western Union Agent, you would be given some informations. You would have to get back to me with

1. Full Sender's Name
2. MTCN Number
3. Amount Sent
4. Text Question: in God
Answer: I Trust

i would deliver immediately. I am off now to the airport for delivery arrangements. Looking forward in hearing from you soon and thanks as soon as the payment is comfirm the puppy will be delivered to you today Regards and God Bless.
abc_123

QUOTE 4/19/2009 1:53:34 PM
Being skeptical, I ask who XXXXXXX is and if that's the full address that I need to send the payment. I also ask if he can hold the puppy for me and ship her later.

Dear,

Thanks for the Email,Its all well,I will like you to know that you should go ahead and get the payment available now,then i can take a hold of her for you till Sunday the 26th.Precious baby mean so much to me,All i want is the best and Forever caring home for her.Dan Lucker is the Delivery Airline agant and thats all the Address you needed in making the payment available to him..

Await your Update now.

Stay Blessed.

I told him I would make the payment the next day.

Dear,

Its all well,Thanks for accepting Precious baby Finally into your Family.Looking Forward on your Update Confirmation Details from Western Union.

Stay Blessed.

When I went to make the payment, I read the article and got very very scared but wanted to trust him still because it wasn't the exact situation. I sent an email to him stating my concern and asked if he could send her over and when I see her at the airport, I'll make the payment then. Or if I could pay a small amount as a deposit and make the rest of the payment when I see her. I don't want to drive over 2 hours to the airport and find out I'm out $200 and have nothing to bring home.

He continues to call me and again, I tell him to email me because I can't understand him. The accent is still there, but doesn't sound as bad as before.
abc_123

QUOTE 4/19/2009 1:55:10 PM
Dear,

Thanks alot for the Email,I want you to know i have to be carefully this days,You sound skeptic from your email once , and thats very wrong, if you are thinking that I just wanted to take your Money for nothing. When I known how people worked and earn their money, I will never think of taking some advantages over you and your money, please take that out of your mind, that is really awful thing on the earth that I will never think about doing.. Please understand me better, I was not trying to lure you into this, everything about me and my baby is 100% real ok, i will like you to know one thing i am a Person of God and i such much believe in his words and i wouldn't do such a thing when i have blood running through my vain,So as I shall be giving you my baby With your Age I know you would be able to take good care of her well for me,that is the reason why i said you shoud pay the Fees which is just $200 and i will get the baby delivered down to you.pls again take care of the baby Okay?

Stay Blessed.

At this point, I still wanted to trust him, but was not willing to pay before I receive anything. I Googled "puppy, africa, nigeria, western union" and it brought me to this forum. He's still trying to call me as I'm searching this, but I'm not answering. I read the e-mails you all received and sent him an e-mail back with the link and told him to find an honest way to earn money.

I assumed the emails and phone calls would stop because he's been caught, but my phone is still ringing and I received this email
abc_123

QUOTE 4/19/2009 1:56:16 PM
Dear,

I will like you to know that Precious baby mean so much to me and all i want is the best and Convenient home for Her.Meanwhile,i can understand your feelings about the recent Scams going on,But i want you to know that i can tarnish my Image just because of Money,So,at this moment you can go ahead and get a $100 available right now then when you receive her you will balance up the remaining fee as the Delivery Airline does not accept COD due to the recent problems they face..Delivery of a pup without the Owner to claim them at the Airport.

Await your Update Confirmation now.

Stay Blessed.

I'm done with him. I'm going to report him with the information that I have -e-mail address, name and phone number. His name is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Whether it's real or not, I don't know. His e-mail address is XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

I'm posting this so if anyone googles their e-mails or his name, this will pop up and save them from losing their money. I can't believe I almost fell for it, but I'm so glad I didn't lose anything. I definitely regret giving him my name, address and phone numbers but I'm hoping he can't do anything with them.

edited: I understand your want to but the rules do not allow you to post "anyones" personal infomation on this forum.
nlguzman2001

QUOTE 6/16/2009 7:30:16 PM
I don't know what to believe. I found an ad for Bull terriers and the ladt told mt contact this lady that just got posted to Africa and she has puppies where I only have to pay shipping. I wrote and for $300 VIA western union she'll have her agent deliver the (pupp) to my house. She's supposed to be U.S. House Rep placed in Lagos, Nigeria, so WHY does she use all lower case letters, never give me specific answers and it just sounded to good to be true. I sent $100 today to HOLD the puppy,I'm supposed to send the other $200 tomorrow BUT then I found this website so I'm not sure anymore... I called western union and STOPPED the transfer, thankfully the person didn't pick the money up yet so I was able to get it back. I really want that puppy though. Did they make you write some silly TEST question/answer on the western union paper that wasn't even really a Q&A. She had me send money to her travel agent. Someone please confirm my suspcions.
esjobes

QUOTE 7/11/2009 7:11:06 PM

Quote nlguzman2001:

I don't know what to believe. I found an ad for Bull terriers and the ladt told mt contact this lady that just got posted to Africa and she has puppies where I only have to pay shipping. I wrote and for $300 VIA western union she'll have her agent deliver the (pupp) to my house. She's supposed to be U.S. House Rep placed in Lagos, Nigeria, so WHY does she use all lower case letters, never give me specific answers and it just sounded to good to be true. I sent $100 today to HOLD the puppy,I'm supposed to send the other $200 tomorrow BUT then I found this website so I'm not sure anymore... I called western union and STOPPED the transfer, thankfully the person didn't pick the money up yet so I was able to get it back. I really want that puppy though. Did they make you write some silly TEST question/answer on the western union paper that wasn't even really a Q&A. She had me send money to her travel agent. Someone please confirm my suspcions.
I'm not sure what else you would need to know than what has been posted on here already.

I just now joined this forum because my wife was speaking to someone from Nigeria about adopting a Chinese Crested puppy. His gmail account name is Reverend Chapis (Reverend, nice touch, huh?) reverendchapis@gmail.com and he told her to send the money via Western Union to a Michael Petti.

She was actually "referred" to this guy by someone claiming to be a "breeder". That yahoo account name is Tweed Fox tweedcotons@yahoo.com.

I emailed them both back and sent them a link to this page.
tanktrouble

QUOTE 7/11/2009 7:45:05 PM
ABC_123, I noticed something funny in one of the first emails you got from the scammer, he said that Taina is a yorkie mix, AKC registered.  Since when does AKC register mixes? 

So sorry you guys have gotten scammed.  They will try it over any old thing.  A couple of years ago while in school, I had a friend trying to sell a horse.  We had a lot of fun scamming the scammers.  They are clueless.  I don't even know if they even paid attention to the email responses they were gettting.  By the time all was said and done, that horse had wings and scales, a built in saddle with back up warning and flashing lights, and it breathed fire, among many other things.

Please people, try local (within the US) when looking for a new pet.  There are a lot of reputable breeders out there with good quality animals.  They are willing to ship, too.  Ask questions.  Lots of questions.  A reputable breeder will not have any problem answering and is willing to do so.  A reputable breeder will also be willing to put you in touch with their vet, as well.  If a breeder tries to hide anything, or doesn't want to answer your questions, go somewhere else.  Never, never, never send money via Western Union.    If they want it by Western Union, automatically assume it is a scammer. Use Paypal. 
runningridge

QUOTE 8/16/2009 9:54:18 AM

Quote christinadorris:

This kind of stuff makes me so upset. First of all I am a Christian. I hate that they are trying to use it to make people trust them. No wonder people are trusting Christians less and less these days. People like these scammers use "Bless You" "God Bless" and "Missionary work" among other things. It is so frustrating.
Also, I am a breeder and it takes trust away from me in that way also. Shipping is not always bad like many seem to be saying. Sometimes a person can't find their breed locally by a reputable breeder.
If you are purchasing, just protect yourself. Talk to the breeder on the phone. Ask to see specific pics (of certain angles or with a certain object included). I have been asked a couple of times to include a piece of paper with the interested persons name on it. I am more than happy to do this as would be any legitimate breeder. Just don't be dumb about things.
I have a photo program that I could insert anything I wanted into a picture and you'd never know so asking for something to be inserted into a picture is leading people into a false sense of security.   I personally don't cater to special request such as these.  

I am a "Legitimate breeder" but refuse to do things that are dumb

and can be manipulated.

If these people are so scared of getting scammed and don't have enough common sense to know when they are then they need to look in their local paper or one close by and BUY IN PERSON.
Post Reply New Topic