Puppies eating too fast

Puppies eating too fast

suttons5

QUOTE 4/28/2007 9:00:29 PM
I have 9 boxer puppies that are almost 7 weeks old. My vet has been advising me all along and we have slowly introduced Purina One Puppy food for Large Breed Dogs. They are now eating only dry puppy food. The problem is that they all eat too fast. Whether it was the Pedigree Canned or now the Purina Dry, they scarf it down like they have never been fed. Is there any way to slow them down, and how much should I be feeding them?
suebgone

QUOTE 4/29/2007 11:07:39 AM
don't give them their whole portion at one time. Offer half & put it flat in a cake pan or something similiar. They should be getting 4 meals a day with a late nite snack.

How much depends on their frame size. If they are that exhuberant about it I would say you are not feeding them enough now & they are probably going to long between meals.

You may want to get them on a better quality food with no allergens in it. Purina does not make a decent food IMO & Pedigree is really awful.

When you feed a food with no fillers there is less poop & they eat less of it.
caheck

QUOTE 4/29/2007 12:05:14 PM
As well as the above suggestions, you can also place a large rock or heavy mug upside down in the bowl so that they have to eat around it. The obstacle will slow them down.
rescuewench

QUOTE 4/29/2007 5:37:44 PM
OK get OFF the purina for starters - your dogs are MEAT eaters not cows.

right now with all teh damn recalls - try a nice californina natural herring & sweet potato ..
NO need to feed puppy food at all.

second if pups are gulping down ..
my boxers are PIGS and gulp also ..

BUT they eat RAW ( my fosters eat kibble mentioned above)

any hoo---- mix up teh food an few housrs aheda - you can add a bit of water ( i use some water & canned fish ) and freeze it..

let semi defrost

they will HAVE to eat slower

it will teach themto CHEW the food not inhale it

and the fish is GREAT for them ..

enjoy ..

& bon appitite !!
rescuewench

QUOTE 4/29/2007 5:38:54 PM

Quote suebgone:

don't give them their whole portion at one time. Offer half & put it flat in a cake pan or something similiar. They should be getting 4 meals a day with a late nite snack.

How much depends on their frame size. If they are that exhuberant about it I would say you are not feeding them enough now & they are probably going to long between meals.

You may want to get them on a better quality food with no allergens in it. Purina does not make a decent food IMO & Pedigree is really awful.

When you feed a food with no fillers there is less poop & they eat less of it.
agree 4 meals a day too for pups ..

2 for adults.

Post Reply New Topic