Spaying your female Maltese

Spaying your female Maltese

tinyteetee

QUOTE 4/26/2007 3:34:48 PM
My 6 year old female Maltese was rescued 3 months ago. I have no history, only what the vet tells me ,that she is 6 years old. She has never been spayed and I wonder if we should do it or just leave her be. We have no attention of breeding her/ Would she live longer if was spayed, or does it make any difference?
cannonfarms

QUOTE 4/26/2007 5:02:37 PM
spaying is the kindest thing you can do, you will at her age need lab work done, but other than that its normal.
A dog comes into season twice a year, thats another possible six years of bleeding, hormonal complications, males whinning at the door, her wanting to escape to breed ect.
Not to menton if there is no utrus then theres not chance of uturin cancer and breast cancer is reduced also quiet alot. Maltees are over bred as it is and inbred, there for they all ready have an increased risk for cancer
buttler629

QUOTE 4/26/2007 5:07:05 PM

Quote cannonfarms:

spaying is the kindest thing you can do, you will at her age need lab work done, but other than that its normal.
A dog comes into season twice a year, thats another possible six years of bleeding, hormonal complications, males whinning at the door, her wanting to escape to breed ect.
Not to menton if there is no utrus then theres not chance of uturin cancer and breast cancer is reduced also quiet alot. Maltees are over bred as it is and inbred, there for they all ready have an increased risk for cancer
suebgone

QUOTE 4/26/2007 6:14:59 PM
absolutely get her spayed. She could be harboring a pyometra even now. You remove that possibility with spaying.

Then there is the ooops! No matter how careful you are, it CAN happen. Not worth taking the chance IMO.
lganio

QUOTE 4/26/2007 6:32:54 PM
I agree. Spay her ASAP before you have to go through a heat with her. It is healthier, safer, and will prevent the unexpected and unneeded litter!
missyellie

QUOTE 4/27/2007 12:24:23 PM
maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/27/2007 10:40:50 PM

Quote tinyteetee:

My 6 year old female Maltese was rescued 3 months ago. I have no history, only what the vet tells me ,that she is 6 years old. She has never been spayed and I wonder if we should do it or just leave her be. We have no attention of breeding her/ Would she live longer if was spayed, or does it make any difference?
While you have her in to be spayed it would also be a good time to have her teeth cleaned. At six she may need it.

Good luck to you both.
rescuewench

QUOTE 4/28/2007 9:12:24 AM
i agree spay have them check teh teeth as if sh eneeds a dental- may as well do in same time ..
if your micro chipping do it while the dog is under is also an added bonus.

( i recommend chipping all pets)

its a BIG needle.

good luck!
Post Reply New Topic