HELP!! cutting my pom's hair

HELP!! cutting my pom's hair

eeyore001

QUOTE 4/11/2007 2:59:31 PM
i need help! how do you cut/trim a pomeranian's hair? every book/website i read says that you have to trim/cut their hair every once in a while, but they dont tell me how! i know you have to cut the hair around the anus and on the bottom of their feet and top of their ears for cleanliness...but how??? i need help with that and with cutting just their regular body hair too!! thanks!

kaji_ookami

QUOTE 4/11/2007 5:27:22 PM
i'm not sure about trimming all the body hair on a pom but you can use a slicker brush or a rake brush to get all of the dead undercoat out.

i suggest to get a grooming book that has all the breeds in it and how to maintain their coats. i have one called notes from the grooming table for my grooming course.

hope i was some help.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 4/11/2007 5:51:24 PM
I would prefer for yours and the dogs safty and sanity to take her to the groomers. Poms dont tend to take grooming well as it is much less tolerate their owners doing it. But if you must, you can use a beard mustach trimmer on the feet, you just clip the hair off the bottom, but only if its not too cold or hot were you are at. To trim the private area you need big clippers and just basicly start where the genitals begin and go up to the base of the tail, leaving about a one ince "trail" or you can trim a smaller path by holding the clipper side ways and working from the butt out and trim to your desire. male dogs need the hair trimmed around there sheath and off the tip. You also must express the anal glands, pull the dogs tail up, place a finger on each side of the butthole and push in slightly and squeez, the odor will be horried and it will get on your hands, but hey gotta do it when you do it yourself. Or you can go to the local groomer and pay them 15-30 bucks and let them deal with it. Im a groomer yet i pay some one else to do my dogs half the time
delaneyshelties

QUOTE 4/11/2007 6:11:09 PM

Quote cannonfarms:

I would prefer for yours and the dogs safty and sanity to take her to the groomers. Poms dont tend to take grooming well as it is much less tolerate their owners doing it. But if you must, you can use a beard mustach trimmer on the feet, you just clip the hair off the bottom, but only if its not too cold or hot were you are at. To trim the private area you need big clippers and just basicly start where the genitals begin and go up to the base of the tail, leaving about a one ince "trail" or you can trim a smaller path by holding the clipper side ways and working from the butt out and trim to your desire. male dogs need the hair trimmed around there sheath and off the tip. You also must express the anal glands, pull the dogs tail up, place a finger on each side of the butthole and push in slightly and squeez, the odor will be horried and it will get on your hands, but hey gotta do it when you do it yourself. Or you can go to the local groomer and pay them 15-30 bucks and let them deal with it. Im a groomer yet i pay some one else to do my dogs half the time
PLEASE don't self clip your pom b4 you learn how, I am a groomer. If you are dead set on self clipping, call your local groomer to have your pom groomed and ask her if you can sit in on the session, we allow that, then you can see first hand how it is done. Clipping your dog can be very dangerous, especially the pads, it is very easy to cut them. Poms especially are very wiggley when it comes to grooming. It would be to difficult to explain in writing how to do it. You can also order dvd's or vhs on how to groom your pom, check barns and noble or even ebay. I order from both, for literature. You can also check out the akc website store, I just recently ordered a dvd on my breed from there.
mja1103

QUOTE 4/11/2007 7:44:54 PM
I have Poms and you should definitely take them to a groomer. Brushing their coat 2-3 times a week should suffice for the body hair. Just make certain you don't dry brush. Use a mixture of non-alcohol conditioner mixed with distilled water and spritz before brushing. It's never a good idea to shave/trim/or cut the Poms coat. Their double coat acts as an insulator in both heat and cold.
kaji_ookami

QUOTE 4/11/2007 8:27:10 PM

Quote mja1103:

I have Poms and you should definitely take them to a groomer. Brushing their coat 2-3 times a week should suffice for the body hair. Just make certain you don't dry brush. Use a mixture of non-alcohol conditioner mixed with distilled water and spritz before brushing. It's never a good idea to shave/trim/or cut the Poms coat. Their double coat acts as an insulator in both heat and cold.
i've also heard that if you shave a pom their coat will never be the same...

with the others... take your pom to the groomers
emlee3

QUOTE 4/11/2007 8:36:23 PM

Quote eeyore001:

i need help! how do you cut/trim a pomeranian's hair? every book/website i read says that you have to trim/cut their hair every once in a while, but they dont tell me how! i know you have to cut the hair around the anus and on the bottom of their feet and top of their ears for cleanliness...but how??? i need help with that and with cutting just their regular body hair too!! thanks!

okay when i was little my mother had a pom and she always trimmed the hair around the anus NOTHING ELSE.

Pomeranians are SPITZ type dogs and shhould NEVER be shaved..they have the double coat like most spitz and is protected by the sun because of it.
Also, i found the fluffy hair to be quite beautiful why on earth would you want to shave it all off.

I have a siberian husky and she has very long hair around her paws. It is not recommended to cut the hair around the paws unless you live in area that has burrs. The reason behind the hair is to protect their paws from extreme weather condition (hot or cold).

The only trimming you would need to do is for sanitation purpose. If your puppy/dog is not able to hold still than take it to a professional. if you have a well-behave dog than you can do it yourself.
snuggleslove

QUOTE 4/12/2007 11:08:27 AM
http://www.pomgrooming.com/ :to order a video on grooming by a Karen Crawford professional handler/breeder/exhibitor for over 17 years.

http://www.petpom.com/#grooming :just basic advice.

http://www.pomeranian.org :they have a section on grooming and grooming tools.

Poms are not easy to groom the wiggle and don't really enjoy the sounds it requires to groom them. My Puppy I might take to a groomer groomer to get him used to it all he nips me when I brush him I am working on it but he also howls blue murder and all I am doing it brushing him softly ... he is not to fond of it. But I trim my own poms Bonnie has a really bad fur and it seemed that the advice and concern I gave the groomer was heard and out the brain in 3 sec flat he did it his way bugger what I wanted this was 2 years ago her hair around her anal area is not growing, she has bald spots on her legs and the hair under her tail won't grow.. for the longest time she was completely bald from the waist down I began her on high omega 3 diet and it came back, she did see a vet but had no skin disease NOW I do her myself she prefers it as well as she was abused as a pup by a bunch of woman and I am really the only one she trusts. Snuggles I would trim myself he was a breeze he loved to be groomed bathed and brushed he would get this far away look of pleasure in his eyes. I have only shaved once and I was stupid as I listened to a groomer that said you should shave your poms (we where in peek summer in south Florida)... and he came highly recommened with great refrences I did my homework on him and believed him, I was also just plain STUPID! this is why Bonnie is having issues that was the first and lasttime I ever went to a groomer so I am wondering about Tubi I might just end up doing him myself and taking it slowly over a 5 day period with lots of doggie treats. Good Luck.
Post Reply New Topic