4 WEEK OLD YORKIE PUPPIES

4 WEEK OLD YORKIE PUPPIES

kjyoak

QUOTE 4/9/2007 10:38:56 AM
I HAVE 2 FOUR WEEK OLD PUPPIES THAT I HAVE BEEN BOTTLE FEEDING SINCE 2 DAYS OLD....CAN I START FEEDING THEM DOG FOOD YET? IF SO WHAT KIND SHOULD I FEED THEM....ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED..
tigger546

QUOTE 4/9/2007 4:52:52 PM
I did with my collie puppy it didnt hurt him he just had a little trouble eating with like 2 teeth. Try the puppy food or the canned food but be carefull with the canned food because there is this new virus that can kill them.so be carefull PLEASE!!!!
suebgone

QUOTE 4/9/2007 5:02:38 PM
they should go to puppy gruel before going to regular food. that is usually started at 3 weeks.

You make gruel by putting a good quality puppy food through the blender on coarse, mix in enough puppy liquid formula to make it gloppy. Some baby chicken food & rice cereal should be included too.

What happened to the mom?

What did your vet tell you about feeding them?

Please do not type in all caps. It is considered rude & is hard to read
suebgone

QUOTE 4/9/2007 5:11:33 PM

Quote tigger546:

I did with my collie puppy it didnt hurt him he just had a little trouble eating with like 2 teeth. Try the puppy food or the canned food but be carefull with the canned food because there is this new virus that can kill them.so be carefull PLEASE!!!!
tigger, try to get your facts straight. There is NO virus in canned food.

There are many foods that have been recalled which I guess is what you are referring to. They are mostly pouched foods, with some canned & were recalled because of a poison that was sprayed on the wheat gluten that came from China.
gbat1stop

QUOTE 4/9/2007 6:47:21 PM

Quote suebgone:

they should go to puppy gruel before going to regular food. that is usually started at 3 weeks.

You make gruel by putting a good quality puppy food through the blender on coarse, mix in enough puppy liquid formula to make it gloppy. Some baby chicken food & rice cereal should be included too.

What happened to the mom?

What did your vet tell you about feeding them?

Please do not type in all caps. It is considered rude & is hard to read

They should be old enough for the gruel without any problems. I am also curious about the mother. Have these pups seen the vet? If so, what did the vet suggest?
kjyoak

QUOTE 4/10/2007 1:17:47 AM
SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS....EASIER FOR ME TO SEE WHAT I AM TYPING...SRY...DON'T SEE VERY GOOD...THE MOTHER DIED AFTER HAVING TO HAVE AN EMERGENCY C SECTION ON A PUP THAT WAS STUCK IN HER....THE VET SAID TO FEED THEM MILK UNTIL ABOUT 5 WKS BUT WE HAVE BEEN HAVING PEOPLE TELL US WE CAN START THEM ON FOOD...THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE HAD TO FEED NEW YORKIE PUPPIES....
kjyoak

QUOTE 4/10/2007 1:19:05 AM
WHAT KIND OF PUPPY FOOD DO YOU SUGGEST? THANKS TO ALL.....
maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/10/2007 12:18:10 PM

Quote kjyoak:

WHAT KIND OF PUPPY FOOD DO YOU SUGGEST? THANKS TO ALL.....
IN MY OPINION... you need to 1st start with gruel made from goats milk,baby rice and baby food chicken... Before you ever give doggy food even mushed up dog food. I just think they need to be a little older before you start adding dog food to their diet. I know it costs a little more but allergies cost a ton too. Though I don't have any hard core proof that by adding dog food to young will cause allergies..it makes since that it may. If we give our human children some foods to soon we increase their risk of allergies why would it not effect our dogs? We know dogs get ear and skin allergies from some dog foods. Anyway..

Your pups already are at a disadvantage because they didn't get first milk. Its also VERY important to keep these pups until they are eight weeks and make sure they have their first shots before their little feet hit the ground outside your home. They don't have any of the protection they would have gotten from their momma so they are at a higher risk.

I know your doing a big job and I commend you. Its hard work raising pups. I wish you the very best.

maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/10/2007 12:22:19 PM

Quote kjyoak:

SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS....EASIER FOR ME TO SEE WHAT I AM TYPING...SRY...DON'T SEE VERY GOOD...THE MOTHER DIED AFTER HAVING TO HAVE AN EMERGENCY C SECTION ON A PUP THAT WAS STUCK IN HER....THE VET SAID TO FEED THEM MILK UNTIL ABOUT 5 WKS BUT WE HAVE BEEN HAVING PEOPLE TELL US WE CAN START THEM ON FOOD...THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE HAD TO FEED NEW YORKIE PUPPIES....
Oh incase no one has told you.. you will need to put gruel on your finger and let the lick it the first couple of times you feed it. You have to teach them to eat it. They will get big time messy. :) But boy are they cute.
suebgone

QUOTE 4/10/2007 1:45:34 PM
I must disagree with mao on two points. Reputable breeders do not let puppies go until 12 weeks, altho the law most places is 7 & 8 weeks. They get their first vaccine at 8 weeks, the second at 12 weeks.

They should not be permitted to go anywhere ( except their new home ) until at least 2 weeks after their LAST series of shots.

Several breeders that I know do not let them leave until 16 weeks so that all shots are completed, they are working on HB'ing & leash work.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/10/2007 4:43:27 PM

Quote suebgone:

I must disagree with mao on two points. Reputable breeders do not let puppies go until 12 weeks, altho the law most places is 7 & 8 weeks. They get their first vaccine at 8 weeks, the second at 12 weeks.

They should not be permitted to go anywhere ( except their new home ) until at least 2 weeks after their LAST series of shots.

Several breeders that I know do not let them leave until 16 weeks so that all shots are completed, they are working on HB'ing & leash work.
Although I normally agree with Sue on most issues, this is one place we do see things differently.

However after further reflextion and reminding myself that these pups are yorkies, I agree with Sue that you should keep these pups longer.

margaretpr

QUOTE 4/11/2007 12:04:01 AM
If you are afraid to use dog food you could use ist step chicken baby food. They will lick your finger first. Good luck!
kjyoak

QUOTE 4/11/2007 12:09:36 AM
WELL THE GOOD NEWS IS THEY DID GET MOMMY'S FIRST MILK....THEY NURSED OFF HER FOR A DAY AND A HALF BEFORE SHE PASSED.....DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME SELLING THE PUPPIES....WE ARE KEEPING THESE TWO ADORABLE BABIES...THEIR MOMMY WAS A VERY GOOD DOG SO WE DECIDED TO KEEP THE BABIES AS THEY ARE PART OF HER.....THANKS FOR ALL ADVICE.....
maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/11/2007 1:33:23 AM

Quote kjyoak:

WELL THE GOOD NEWS IS THEY DID GET MOMMY'S FIRST MILK....THEY NURSED OFF HER FOR A DAY AND A HALF BEFORE SHE PASSED.....DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME SELLING THE PUPPIES....WE ARE KEEPING THESE TWO ADORABLE BABIES...THEIR MOMMY WAS A VERY GOOD DOG SO WE DECIDED TO KEEP THE BABIES AS THEY ARE PART OF HER.....THANKS FOR ALL ADVICE.....
I'm glad to hear that. Good luck with your pups.
suebgone

QUOTE 4/11/2007 9:19:51 PM
Incidently, I just read somewhere that you can now buy puppy formula with the colostrum in it.

I gotta tell you - my friend that researched, learned & showed her rotts for 10 years before she bred a litter - kept her kids until 16 weeks.

I have a friend that showed & bred chessies that kept the puppies until they were 14 wks.

And I do know some other breeders of large dogs that keep the pups longer than 8 weeks.

My vet just bought a standard poodle that was 5 months old. That is the way that breeder does. They are well socialized, house trained, leash/crate trained ( & probably make you a ham sandwich )
kjyoak

QUOTE 4/17/2007 11:17:49 PM
Just wanted all to know that my yorkies are now 5 weeks old today. They are doing well....I am planning on taking them to the vet next tues. on their 6 wk b-day...won't they love that...lol...thanks again for all help....
cannonfarms

QUOTE 4/17/2007 11:35:59 PM

Quote suebgone:

Incidently, I just read somewhere that you can now buy puppy formula with the colostrum in it.

I gotta tell you - my friend that researched, learned & showed her rotts for 10 years before she bred a litter - kept her kids until 16 weeks.

I have a friend that showed & bred chessies that kept the puppies until they were 14 wks.

And I do know some other breeders of large dogs that keep the pups longer than 8 weeks.

My vet just bought a standard poodle that was 5 months old. That is the way that breeder does. They are well socialized, house trained, leash/crate trained ( & probably make you a ham sandwich )
Sue, babies lose there ability to absorb the colosturm after 24 hours i think, i know for a horse its that and im pretty sure its a dog too but if not its a similar small time period. the milk they do sell some people think its usless but i know my vet recomends it and i dont see how it can hurt..

Btw i never let a pup go till 2 sets of vaccines at min are complete, and those are to only certain people, 12 weeks is the time i need to evaluate show prospects, i keep them and sell the rest and then make the final cut at 15 weeks
kjyoak

QUOTE 4/24/2007 7:43:18 AM

Quote gbat1stop:

They should be old enough for the gruel without any problems. I am also curious about the mother. Have these pups seen the vet? If so, what did the vet suggest?
THEY DID VERY WELL THE FIRST TIME....LIKE THEY WERE PROS....THEY ARE 6 WKS OLD TODAY AND ARE DOING WONDERFUL....THEY THINK THEY NEED TO BE OUTSIDE ALL DAY....LOL...I TAKE THEM THEM OUT A COUPLE TIMES A DAY AND THEY LOVE IT.....
maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/24/2007 8:14:18 AM

Quote kjyoak:

THEY DID VERY WELL THE FIRST TIME....LIKE THEY WERE PROS....THEY ARE 6 WKS OLD TODAY AND ARE DOING WONDERFUL....THEY THINK THEY NEED TO BE OUTSIDE ALL DAY....LOL...I TAKE THEM THEM OUT A COUPLE TIMES A DAY AND THEY LOVE IT.....
Be very careful having puppies so young outside. Most of us wouldn't do it. You risk them getting parvo.
Glad to hear they are doing well.
rescuewench

QUOTE 4/24/2007 9:10:59 AM

Quote maoseger1010:

Be very careful having puppies so young outside. Most of us wouldn't do it. You risk them getting parvo.
Glad to hear they are doing well.
yes :

parvo

fleas ( tapeworms)
roundworms
ticks
a small spider bite can kill a pup that young & small if it has an allergis reaction.

so can a bee sting

keep them in doors till FULLY vaccinated - only outin ONE area you keep cleaned up and sanatized to potty and back in.

what about that sugur level thing ? ( isnt that a big deal with these tiny toys ? do you have a tube of energel on hand?)

wher is MJA ? doesnt she "do " yorkies??

JMO

RW
Post Reply New Topic