How long do dogs stay in heat?

How long do dogs stay in heat?

fruitfly_59

QUOTE 2/25/2007 12:51:12 PM
I have a female pit bull and two males I would like to find out how long the female stays in heat? When is the fertile part of a heat? I have them seperated and the female is getting real bored being locked up.
borderlover

QUOTE 2/25/2007 3:29:49 PM
A heat cycle generally lasts 21 days. The most fertile part is the second week. However, I would keep them seperated the entire cycle because you never know.

Do you intend on breeding her? If not you need to be real careful with your males.

How old is she? If you do intend to breed, everyone's next questions will be have you done the proper genetic tests. Also, a female should not be bred before the age of 2. Part of the reason being that you can't certify the hips with OFA before they are fully developed.
suebgone

QUOTE 2/26/2007 12:06:38 AM
males will chew through walls to get to a female in heat & with pits - HA! a wall would be an appetizer.

You will have a really tough job keeping them seperate.
noskiveez

QUOTE 2/26/2007 12:31:21 AM
10 days IN
10 Days ON
10 Days OUT

Not all are finished by day 21.
thminis

QUOTE 2/26/2007 12:48:23 AM

Quote fruitfly_59:

I have a female pit bull and two males I would like to find out how long the female stays in heat? When is the fertile part of a heat? I have them seperated and the female is getting real bored being locked up.
While I don't have an answer, I am guessing this is her first heat if you don't know how long it will last? You ask for the most fertile time, so i'm assuming you do want to breed her.

If you insist on breeding her, please, please do not breed her during her first heat.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 2/26/2007 7:21:11 AM

Quote fruitfly_59:

Although 21 days is the rule, keep them apart 25.

I'm sure she is getting sick of being alone, but its the best thing for her. Keep her area clean as you possiably can and keep those males as far away as possiable.

Good luck.
goldengal

QUOTE 2/26/2007 10:40:34 PM

Quote noskiveez:

10 days IN
10 Days ON
10 Days OUT

Not all are finished by day 21.
*gasp* this is the first time I've heard someone on here say this. I know a RB who had a dog bred on day 21 cause she went with the 21 days for total.

OP, please listen to everyone on here and do not breed the dog unless you have had health clearances done and tempermant(sp?) checked and have know on the parents and grandparents. And especially not on the dogs first cycle
noskiveez

QUOTE 2/27/2007 12:53:07 PM
I too also know of a dog that was "Ready" on day 21.

cannonfarms

QUOTE 2/27/2007 1:54:23 PM
my shelter put down 20 pits and nice well bred ones this week due to no homes for them, people have flooded the market with them theres two pages in a adveriser in the atl. area that is nothing but pit pups, for little or nothing

please spay her, we can even help you find a low cost program if money is a issue, i bred american bulldogs that had titles, and even at 1000-3000 a puppy i still had some that wound up in less than disirable situations
Post Reply New Topic