Eating poop

Eating poop

bostonpete

QUOTE 2/10/2007 1:00:35 PM
My new Boston loves to go out and find poop to eat. It's a disgusting habit. Why does she do this? I feed her Purina and no table scraps. Is something missing in her diet?
lganio

QUOTE 2/10/2007 2:16:34 PM
Purina is not a good food choice from all I have heard. Please see some of the threads on the varieties of food that have already been posted. I am not sure that her eating the poop has anything to do with her dog food, however. My pup loves to get in the cat litter and get "treats." We have had to put the litter box in a seperate room and we have taught the pup that she is not allowed in that room. A baby gate does the trick. Good luck.
dobiegurl313

QUOTE 2/10/2007 5:08:40 PM
Its normal..nasty but normal. Everytime your pup poops you might want to pick it up so there is no poop to be found.

I have the same issue with cat litter. I think its a canine delicacy,
gsdcrazy

QUOTE 2/10/2007 7:32:30 PM
My vet called cat poop puppy almond roca..haha!

I read somewhere that a lot of female dogs will eat their poop out of instinct..because if they were in the wild and had pups they would conceal their locationby getting rid of the evidence.

But you're right...it's completely disgusting!!
bostonpete

QUOTE 2/10/2007 8:39:01 PM
Mmmm, verrry interesting. She doesn't eat cat poop and she doesn't eat fresh poop. So I'm not sure she could ward off any predators by eating old poop. But it's an interesting theory.
doggypassion

QUOTE 2/10/2007 11:01:19 PM
Our dogs used to do that, they grew out of it, some people say it's because they don't get enough nutrients? But that's not true, according to our vet. It'll just give your dog bad breath and drive you crazy. Good luck with him stopping!
bostonpete

QUOTE 2/11/2007 11:42:54 AM
Oh, Thank You! You have given me hope: she will grow out of it.
I went outside this morning and cleaned the yard up. Maybe that will help, too. Inside dogs are new to me. I love having them but sometimes they act like animals!
_dogs_rule_

QUOTE 2/11/2007 12:59:54 PM
I hope you realize that dogs are animals??
bostonpete

QUOTE 2/11/2007 5:54:02 PM
Indeed I do. And I know that Ceaser Milan wants us to remember that. It's just that I kind of cringe to have my hand licked after my puppy has been eating poop.
nycdogzz

QUOTE 2/11/2007 6:12:37 PM

Quote bostonpete:

Indeed I do. And I know that Ceaser Milan wants us to remember that. It's just that I kind of cringe to have my hand licked after my puppy has been eating poop.
Dogs have cleaner mouths than we do, their mouths actually kill bacteria.
miarob

QUOTE 2/11/2007 7:23:38 PM

Quote nycdogzz:

Dogs have cleaner mouths than we do, their mouths actually kill bacteria.
Not true, Google it and see what the research says! And PS, ALL dogs should be indoor dogs!
dogpoopguy

QUOTE 1/17/2010 2:07:40 PM
@bostonpete The first thing I would do is get a higher quality food.  That right there might solve the problem.   Here are 5 reasons that dogs eat poop.

Post Reply New Topic