ever hear of a papillon-bichon mix

ever hear of a papillon-bichon mix

ynendine

QUOTE 1/27/2007 5:58:38 PM
saw the custest ever puppy that is a papillon-bichon mix..anyone ever hear of this..wonder what the disposition would be..discussing shipping one from missouri.
suebgone

QUOTE 1/27/2007 6:53:24 PM
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

MO - the puppy mill capital of the world!

It is a mix breed dog - $50 tops. More of course from a shelter or rescue because it would include all sorts of health issues being addressed & in many cases training

why would you even consider shipping a dog of any age in this weather?

With all the scams that are around now with "ordering" dogs, do not take that kind of chance.

go to your shelter or check for a rescue, where you can see what you are getting.

funnybunny

QUOTE 1/27/2007 7:09:00 PM
A papillon and bichon mix eh? You know a reputable breed would NEVER breed a mix right? Also, from Missouri? Oh no...Missouri is known for their puppy mills. I'd say because this dog is a mixed pup, and because it's from Missouri, your chances are VERY high that this puppy is from a puppy mill. I have never heard of this mix, but I hadn't heard of a lot of the mixed breeds that i've seen recently. If you are looking for a mixed breed like this, adopt one, don't purchase one. You will be funding more and more litters, and subjecting the parents to a life of misery.
mja1103

QUOTE 1/27/2007 7:30:06 PM
No, I've never heard of this mix, but I am not surprised at what "muttsforbucks" breeders will do. Let's look at some of the traits of each breed. The Papillon is a single coat breed that has 2 distinct ear types. They are average shedders that are difficult to housebreak, do best with older children, and due to careless breeding some bloodlines may produce Paps which are nervous, high strung, and timid. The Bichon is a double coat breed, is difficult to housebreak and due to over-breeding can be "snippy". Now, WHY WOULD ANYONE KNOWINGLY PUT THESE TWO DISTINCT BREEDS TOGETHER??? FOR BIG MONEY from people who don't know any better!!!! A single coat breed and a double coat breed?? Disaster!! Both breeds difficult to housebreak!!! I don't care if the puppy is the cutest thing on the planet, I don't care that it's in Missouri. The fact remains that it is a mutt. The shelters and rescues are full of mutts needing homes!!!
ynendine

QUOTE 1/27/2007 9:35:19 PM

Quote ynendine:

saw the custest ever puppy that is a papillon-bichon mix..anyone ever hear of this..wonder what the disposition would be..discussing shipping one from missouri.
ok...maybe I will not purchase the bichon-papillon mix.From what I gather it was from a private home.Any suggestions on a small type lap dog the would not be real yappy, snippy and good with kids...I had a cairin terrier in mind but was discouraged by alot of people telly me that were yappy,troublesome and hard to train. I have a very sweet bassetthound for a companion. He is wonderful with all dogs..I have had plenty around him.. He really enjoys all. The only child home is 18 and never home..I do have grandchilden..one is 1and a half the others 4-12. They come over sometimes but not constant.. I am getting frustrated in a search..Any suggestions???
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/28/2007 12:52:29 AM
i have heard of them..they are called designer MUTTS.

RUN.... to the pound you can get a designer mutt for 65 bucks..
and save a life..

RW
puglet

QUOTE 1/28/2007 5:29:31 AM

Quote ynendine:

ok...maybe I will not purchase the bichon-papillon mix.From what I gather it was from a private home.Any suggestions on a small type lap dog the would not be real yappy, snippy and good with kids...I had a cairin terrier in mind but was discouraged by alot of people telly me that were yappy,troublesome and hard to train. I have a very sweet bassetthound for a companion. He is wonderful with all dogs..I have had plenty around him.. He really enjoys all. The only child home is 18 and never home..I do have grandchilden..one is 1and a half the others 4-12. They come over sometimes but not constant.. I am getting frustrated in a search..Any suggestions???
Japanese chins are great lap dogs. they look a bit like a papillion and are a similar size build and coat type. very loving, dont yap, love to sit on your knee but also go for walks, great and playful with kids. the only thing is that you would need to be careful to begin with that the basset and your grandkids dont play too hard with it when it is a pup as they are very small and dainty as puppies although they dont know it and will try to tackle your bassett!!

good luck. do your research and only buy from a breeder which you can travel to to pick the pup up so you can see what conditions its being kept in and what the breeder is like. Hint - no good breeders would let you take a Chin pup before 9-10 weeks, and also no rep breeder breeds more than 2 breeds of dog and does not have more than 1 litter of pups at a time.
ynendine

QUOTE 1/28/2007 8:23:16 AM
Japanese chins..i understand are not good with children...does any one have a breed suggestionfor a dog not yippy..ankle biter and good with children with little or no shedding??? How about a cockapoo??
cannonfarms

QUOTE 1/28/2007 12:48:48 PM
I have a 19mnth old, a 9 yr old and a 10 year old. I have 5 other dogs and 6 cats and the number is changing since i dabble in rescue. Out of all the dogs ive had, and im not a small dog person, my small breed of choice is rat terriers, they come in several colors, but like with any breed you have to find a good breeder, they are rat terriers in toy size which is no more then 7lbs i think, i have the 10lb varriety and have had the big ones in rescure that were 25lbs, you wanting a good companion do not want a rat terrier that comes from heavy earth dog lines but rather one thats been bred for pet/show.
they are awsome little dog, they are smart and easy to train and willing to please, unlike most terriers, they dont shed much and are low maintance and mine have beed easy to housebreak, but once again that depends on the breeder and the owner with rare exceptions is it ever the dog...

www.picturetrail.com/flashcoat_puppies if you would like to see my rats
noskiveez

QUOTE 1/28/2007 1:23:39 PM
If you are looking into a breeder who is claiming that they are breeding hybrids....such as a cockapoo. Chances are they are back yard breeders or on the Mutts for bucks band wagon. A hybrid is a mutt. A cross is a mutt. A designer breed is a mutt. If they say it is a purebreed but have no proof that they can give you....chances are it is a mutt.

In my opinion, you could get a bichon or a poodle. You could buy it from a reputable breeder which you can find through a breed club in your area, or even a breed specific rescue organization. Being "yappy" or "ankle biting" is a socail problem. If you find a good breeder who socializes her pups well and the parents well...and you continue to do the same with the pup after you have taken it home. You wont have a social issue or a yappy dog issue.

Another thing, just because a person says they are a private home does not mean they aren't capable of being a puppy mill or back yard breeder. Do you really think someone will come out and admitt that they are a commercial breeder, a puppy mill or a back yard breeder?

NO WAY!

They will feed you everything you want to hear until they have your $ and then they could care less about you or the dog (assuming that you ever recieved one form them).
doglover2008

QUOTE 3/23/2008 5:42:58 PM
Our family bought a papillon-bichon mix (papichon)4 and 1/2 years ago and it was the best decision we've ever made! She is the most wonderful dog and her temperment is amazing! She is definitely a cuddle bug... a GREAT lap dog! If you are looking for a dog who has a lot of life and is wild, this is definitely not the dog for you. She is loving, calm (hardly ever barks), and great with kids. She is afraid of large dogs and usually whimpers when they try to go near her (even if they just want to play). She does enjoy playing with smaller dogs, as long as they don't get too rough :) She loves playing outside, but is happiest sleeping on the lap of a family member! I would recommend this dog to anyone and we hope to someday buy another one!
valerie5264

QUOTE 4/9/2008 10:18:02 AM
The Papichon is a Bichon X Papillon mix. They are darling dogs that are wonderful with kids and are fast becoming a very popular, in demand hybrid breed. Some of the comments made are correct such as a dog being 'nervous' or being 'snippy'. But this can happen with any breed when dogs are being bred for profit only. When a responsible breeder of any breed sees this type of behavior that dog should not be bred. And for someone to say 'Missouri' the puppy mill state - unfortunetly this is true. Missouri is know as the puppy mill state BUT there are breeders here in Missouri who are responsible, loving breeders as well. So for anyone to say do not get a puppy from Missouri is not being realistic. Check out the home where you are considering getting your puppy from. Since you are out of state and a home visit is not feasable ask for pictures - ask for pictures of the potential puppy's parents -ask for pictures of the area where the puppies are being kept - ask for pictures of where the parents are being kept. Any responsible breeder will send you pictures of the area where the dogs are kept and also keep you updated with pictures as the puppy grows. If they are unwilling to do this you should probably look elsewhere. But be aware that there are Puppy Mills in every state - just because you do not get your puppy from Missouri does not guarentee that you are getting a healthy, well adjusted puppy.

I live in Missouri and I breed 1 litter of Papichons a year. My Bichon female and my Papillon male live in the house with us. They are part of our family. My dogs are fully vetted and spoiled rotten. The Papichon puppies that they have are DARLING and WONDERFUL with children. Their personalities are AWESOME. I know - I am in contact with my puppies new owners and get updates with pictures from them all of the time. So please keep an open mind when you decide what type of puppy would make the best fit for your family.

I totally support rescues and adopting from rescue facilities if that is the option that a family wishes to take. But no matter where you get your new family member from do your research and get references.
kski2008

QUOTE 5/6/2008 3:23:42 PM
Papichons are so cute!! There is nothing wrong with you wanting a Papichon. Lol. If it's already alive, what is wrong with buying it? I do not agree with buying from puppymills, they are horrible! And Missouri is puppymill capitol of the United States. So just be careful where you buy one from. Not from pet stores. Adopt one!
If you can't find a Papichon to adopt, get a Bichon. They are so sweet, love kids and other animals and are sooo funny and cute!!
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/6/2008 8:30:53 PM

Quote kski2008:

Papichons are so cute!! There is nothing wrong with you wanting a Papichon. Lol. If it's already alive, what is wrong with buying it? I do not agree with buying from puppymills, they are horrible! And Missouri is puppymill capitol of the United States. So just be careful where you buy one from. Not from pet stores. Adopt one!
If you can't find a Papichon to adopt, get a Bichon. They are so sweet, love kids and other animals and are sooo funny and cute!!
If you want it buy it.... Yep thats the American way in a nut shell.
moggie

QUOTE 5/7/2008 8:12:47 AM
i think that it is very odd if not wrong for aomeone to post NO NO NO puppy mill capital of the world. peopele pay good moeny to advertise on this site and it seems like a slap in the face for the site to allow such bashing on its very own forums...how stupid is that?? because this person lives in missouri, does it mean that automatically they are a puppy mill?? no it doesnt. does this mean she is not a good breeder, no it doesnt. that is why references are very very important...ask for a reference from the vet she uses and a couple of other buyers...and good luck....its really none of our business...she asked a question about a certain MIX...give her the answer she needs....
maligirl1

QUOTE 5/7/2008 11:04:53 AM
i agree puppy mills are VERY bad.but really as long as this pup is healthy does it matter that it is a mixed breed?
lakid1

QUOTE 5/7/2008 3:29:07 PM
I have never heard of this breed before and what in the world is a puppy mill?
maligirl1

QUOTE 5/8/2008 7:29:11 AM

Quote lakid1:

I have never heard of this breed before and what in the world is a puppy mill?
if you can ,try and watch the oprah special that was on.that will explain everything about puppy mills.and i don't think it is a particular breed but a mix of 2 different breeds.
lakid1

QUOTE 5/8/2008 1:50:23 PM

Quote maligirl1:

if you can ,try and watch the oprah special that was on.that will explain everything about puppy mills.and i don't think it is a particular breed but a mix of 2 different breeds.
I am sorry if this souds rude but that does not answer my question. I can not watch oprah because I have to got to school. And when I am not at school I go to an after-school program.
noskiveez

QUOTE 5/8/2008 3:22:22 PM
go to google, click on Images (in the top left hand corner and type in Puppy Mill. This will show you exactly what a puppy mill is.

I warn you, the images are graphic.
Post Reply New Topic