DOES THE RUNT USUALLY STAY SAMLLER THAN HIS LITTER MATES??

DOES THE RUNT USUALLY STAY SAMLLER THAN HIS LITTER MATES??

cane53

QUOTE 1/23/2007 8:33:39 PM
HI, IM CURRENTLY PURCHASING A CANE CORSO PUPPY WHICH IS CURRENTLY 7 WEEKS OLD. I WAS SUPPOSED TO PICK HIM UP THIS WEEK BUT THE BREEDER CALLED ME AND SAID THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER TO LET THE PUPPY STAY WITH HER A COUPLE OF MORE WEEKS, BECAUSE BEING THAT HE IS THE SMALLEST HE IS NOT READY TO GO. I AGREED AND I WILL PICK HIM UP AT 10 WEEKS. ANYWAY I WAS WONDERING DOES THE RUNT OF THE LITTER USUALLY STAYS THE SMALLEST OR CAN HE GROW JUST AS BIG OR IF NOT BIGGER THAN HIS LITTER MATES, OR PARENTS. HIS DAD WAS 150 POUNDS AND HIS MOTHER WAS 125 POUNDS. ANY ADVICE FOR ME???
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/23/2007 9:21:59 PM
yes please dont type all in CAPS ITS CONSIDERED RUDE AND SHOUTING.

thank you.

not all runts stay smallest of teh litter some reach standard size - had a cat that was a runt actually become the largest of the litter- still have him he is 23 lbs now.

most of teh dog runts i had stayed small.BUT i got them as adults .

so I really dont know

you may want to ask jeeves..

RW
suebgone

QUOTE 1/23/2007 9:34:33 PM
do you have some really serious dog experience?

Are you really familiar with THIS breed?

Have you done a lot of hands on research of them?

Why were you willing to accept this puppy at 7 weeks? Puppies should not leave the mom & the litter until 12 weeks - none of them.

You do realize that these dogs require an experienced owner, lots of obedience training, are not good with strangers & will need lots of socializing as a puppy?

What made you choose this breed?
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/23/2007 9:38:45 PM

LMAO

sue were you an attorney? i see you NEVER ask a question without KNOWING the answer first.

:)

RW
maoseger1010

QUOTE 1/23/2007 10:08:33 PM

Quote cane53:

HI, IM CURRENTLY PURCHASING A CANE CORSO PUPPY WHICH IS CURRENTLY 7 WEEKS OLD. I WAS SUPPOSED TO PICK HIM UP THIS WEEK BUT THE BREEDER CALLED ME AND SAID THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER TO LET THE PUPPY STAY WITH HER A COUPLE OF MORE WEEKS, BECAUSE BEING THAT HE IS THE SMALLEST HE IS NOT READY TO GO. I AGREED AND I WILL PICK HIM UP AT 10 WEEKS. ANYWAY I WAS WONDERING DOES THE RUNT OF THE LITTER USUALLY STAYS THE SMALLEST OR CAN HE GROW JUST AS BIG OR IF NOT BIGGER THAN HIS LITTER MATES, OR PARENTS. HIS DAD WAS 150 POUNDS AND HIS MOTHER WAS 125 POUNDS. ANY ADVICE FOR ME???
It can go either way. I've seen runts grow to be the biggest of the litter at adulthood and I've seen them stay small. Often they have more health problems than their counter parts.
funnybunny

QUOTE 1/23/2007 11:02:22 PM
You can only guess what the weight of the dog may be at adulthood, it is never 100% certain. Runts can stay much smaller than the rest of the litter, but they can also grow the same size, or larger. It's very difficult to tell, if not impossible until they become an adult.
cane53

QUOTE 1/24/2007 12:18:28 AM
SUE!! Why are you asking so many questions that have nothing to do with my question??? Just say that you dont know the answer! lol.... Why would you ask all of these questions when you have no idea what my history is with dogs? How are you so sure that I dont know what I'm getting into? And saying that you should only take a puppy away from his mother at 12 weeks is only an opinion. I have owned many healthy and happy dominant breed dogs for your information (Dogos, Presa Canarios, and Fila Mastiffs)and I raised all of the from 8 weeks of age! So try to share your knowledge with someone who has no experience!!
2pupmom

QUOTE 1/24/2007 1:09:15 AM
I have a runt, and she does have a lot more health problems than her litter mate. She is as tall but much thinner. Don't know if I would help any but...
maoseger1010

QUOTE 1/24/2007 6:47:27 AM

Quote cane53:

SUE!! Why are you asking so many questions that have nothing to do with my question??? Just say that you dont know the answer! lol.... Why would you ask all of these questions when you have no idea what my history is with dogs? How are you so sure that I dont know what I'm getting into? And saying that you should only take a puppy away from his mother at 12 weeks is only an opinion. I have owned many healthy and happy dominant breed dogs for your information (Dogos, Presa Canarios, and Fila Mastiffs)and I raised all of the from 8 weeks of age! So try to share your knowledge with someone who has no experience!!
She asked questions because she had them and because you had already received the answer to your question. I assure you Sue knows the answer to your question. She could not possiably know what your experiance level with dogs is UNLESS she asked the questions she did could she?

What you don't know is that we get hundreds of people who come here looking for breeds that do not suit them or their lifestyle but they do not realize it, so we ask questions in an effort to find out what they know and what they don't and then help them make good choices.

Your right about 8-12 weeks being an opinion and there has been much debate in the dog world as well as on this board about what is better, with both sides giving very good arguments and both sides have studies to support their views.

Because this is a message board free to anyone who wishes to answer you should be aware that you will get opinions as well as answers.
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/24/2007 9:08:07 AM
good point, MAO.

also OP.. if you get your dog altered pediatrically it will GROW larger.

and relax that wont hurt him , growth plates nada - it is slow and maintained growth, ( not like over feeding high protien food)

So if you want your runt to be teh biggest dog have it pediatrically altered.

that is one thisng i have to say about pediatrically altering... when i meet peopel with puppys that want the biggest dog ( very common in men)

its a real lure to get them to alter the pet. they get a BIGGER dog, BUT- no BYB litters.

i like that

RW
dobiegurl313

QUOTE 1/24/2007 10:02:44 PM
Ryot wasnt the smallest when born but as the weeks went on he did not grow as big as his brothers. And since I got him at 8 weeks old until he was about 7 months old he was always smaller than his littermates, and now he's the biggest. He's about 80lbs now and the rest are in the low 60's high 70's (I see the pups on a regular basis seeing how all of us work together). He is definately going to be a big boy (you can see it in his body structure) and fooled us all when it came to his size. I thought he was going to be tiny and everyone kept saying, "oh he's not the Bentley (his father who is about 100#) of the litter" and "his paws are so tiny" or "his ears are smaller than the rest of the pups". But he fooled us all.
cane53

QUOTE 1/25/2007 2:13:53 AM

Quote rescuewench:

good point, MAO.

also OP.. if you get your dog altered pediatrically it will GROW larger.

and relax that wont hurt him , growth plates nada - it is slow and maintained growth, ( not like over feeding high protien food)

So if you want your runt to be teh biggest dog have it pediatrically altered.

that is one thisng i have to say about pediatrically altering... when i meet peopel with puppys that want the biggest dog ( very common in men)

its a real lure to get them to alter the pet. they get a BIGGER dog, BUT- no BYB litters.

i like that

RW
I have never pediatrically altered my previous dogs, nor have I even altered them. So I'm not so knowledgeable on the subject! Can you, or anyone explain why altering my dog at a young age would make them grow larger? I know that in men high testosterone levels make men gain muscle mass and grow taller. If I nueter my puppy at a young age wont this restrict his testosterone levels? Which would also cause him not to put on as much muscle, and stunt his growth? Any advice???
cane53

QUOTE 1/25/2007 11:33:59 AM
ANYONE???
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/25/2007 11:44:28 AM

Quote cane53:

ANYONE???
sure read this link ( the whole link) it explaines it all:

and not ALL animals grow larger - but many do.

http://www.danesonline.com/earlyspayneuter.htm

delayed closure of the distal radial growth plate in both dogs and cats as compared with sexually intact controls. This allowed for an extended period of growth and greater radial/ulnar length in all neutered male dogs and group I bitches. Although delayed physeal closure was observed in neutered cats, there was no significant difference in mature radius/ulna length amongst the three treatment groups. Thus, rather than causing stunted growth, prepubertal gonadectomy may actually result in normal or greater stature. This delay in physeal closure probably occurs because gonadal hormones facilitate physeal cartilage maturation; in their absence the growth plate remains open for a longer period of time.
Post Reply New Topic