foul dog burps

foul dog burps

katiekat25

QUOTE 1/8/2007 9:32:37 PM
My dog also has foul smelling burps. Not all the time though. She doesn't mess around eating poop... but the odor is almost like poop, or rotten stomach acid. She is showing NO signs of illness. Her eating and drinking habits are normal.

I read that it could be cheap food or the height at which she eats.She's a golden retreiver.

I feed her Purina(chicken)kibble (8mos.) with a spoonful of Pedigree(beef/liver)wet food (10mos) And her treats are usually Alpo Snaps or Canine Carryouts... with occasional carrots, apples, cheese, or bread.
I did place her food and water at floor level until tonight.

Can anyone else offer a GOOD opinion?
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/8/2007 10:24:59 PM
sure get your dog on a better diet.

and charcole biscuits will help with stomach acids BUT i would STRONGLY suggest a better diet you seem to KNOW sh eis eating crap.. so why?

there is a thread here that a brand called KIRKLAND ( never tried it but theingredients sound FINE) MUCH better than the crap your dog is eating, and its NOT HIGH $$

??
so why do you feed your dog crap?

RW
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/8/2007 10:28:41 PM
quote from the thread on this food:

Here are the ingredients, what I noticed is there is no wheat or corn. I read the the egg product is one of the best protiens for dogs(not sure if its true). There are lots of veggies. Also, the 40lb bag is $17.99. Obviously its not holistic food. But, what do you guys think?

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 23% minimum
Crude Fat 14% minimum
Crude Fiber 4% maximum
Moisture 10% maximum
Zinc 200mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
Vitamin A 15000 IU/KG minimum
Omega-6 fatty acids 2.2% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4 % minimum
Glucosamine HCl not less than 300 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate not less than 100 mg/kg
suebgone

QUOTE 1/8/2007 11:48:02 PM
I would also suggest you start giving her some plain yogurt daily. Be really glad she is burping. If she were not realeasing that gas she could bloat & die.

RW is correct, Purina doesn't make a food worth dragging home.

katiekat25

QUOTE 1/11/2007 6:17:41 PM
Ok, so I'll consider some other food but how do you know what is good and what is "crap"? I mean come one, EVERYONE thinks that they feed THEIR dog the best of the best. I've heard so many different raves and gripes about the same stuff. SO many people I talk to think they do everything right. This was the diet recommended by the best vet I could find in my area, whom has gained my trust many times over. (believe me, I've met a couple who show very little concern for their animal patients.)
I'd be happy to try the yogurt or biscuits.
But-- Any other suggestions for food?
noskiveez

QUOTE 1/11/2007 7:35:13 PM
I feed kirkland signature dog food to all of my dogs. They poop less, they look better they feel better. The dog food also happens to be made by Diamond. Kirkland is a super premium dog food. Purina, alpo and those other things are NOT!

Most of the main ingredients on the food your feeding is likely a filler.
gsdcrazy

QUOTE 1/11/2007 7:47:11 PM
I can almost guarantee you..your dog is eating poop, if not she's got something going on internaly. I'd have some bloodwork done..that is if you are positive she's not eating poop.
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/11/2007 8:16:22 PM

Quote katiekat25:

Ok, so I'll consider some other food but how do you know what is good and what is "crap"? I mean come one, EVERYONE thinks that they feed THEIR dog the best of the best. I've heard so many different raves and gripes about the same stuff. SO many people I talk to think they do everything right. This was the diet recommended by the best vet I could find in my area, whom has gained my trust many times over. (believe me, I've met a couple who show very little concern for their animal patients.)
vets get PAID to endorse dog foods especially "special diets"

YOU do realize they have med school bills & grants to pay etc..

and hey science diet sales can get 4 tix to the bahamas for 6 days 7 nights ( in july 2007 to the best / highest sales... !!!YEA!!

!! hellooooo!!!!

you need to DIG past what the vets says -
( also double check what ANY vet says..)
and educate yourself on your breeds needs & diet,,,

OR just feed raw - its easier & the best .... :)~
(evil grin)
RW
emlee3

QUOTE 1/11/2007 9:44:51 PM

Quote katiekat25:

first things first take your dog to the vet and make sure everything is okay including dental work. i've smelt some rauchy dog breath due to owners never brushing their dog's teeth.

after you confirm that its not dental or health problems change her diet. i hate to recommend one type of food because some dog's can't tolerate certain food. what i DO recommend is to find a food that contains less corn, byproducts and grains. if your dog has gas is most likely due to the grains in the diet.

a friend of mine just recently purchased a dachusund pup and has been feeding her purina for a couple weeks..she complained that her pup farts a lot and her gut seemed to be enlarged everytime she eats. the pup has no worms or parasites. i suggested innova evo w/ merrick canned food...her pup eats less now and her gut isn't as big as it use to. she also poops less which should be a plus for any pet owner.

she does occationally give her dog raw meat w/ her kibble. I also feed raw and it seems to be the best type of food for my dog..homemade food is the best. why? because you can modify all you want..if your dog is allergic to a certain type of grain/meat/vegetable this maybe a great soluation. you can try either raw or cooked...i prefer raw though because it requires less pot and pans =)
suebgone

QUOTE 1/11/2007 10:02:18 PM
Ok katie, you want to learn about food, here goes.

http://www.ourpetfood.com/comparison.html

Also google "natura" & go on the comparison wizard

Then there is: http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/petfood1.html

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=allmanreport
Post Reply New Topic