any dogs good mousers?

any dogs good mousers?

emtan55

QUOTE 12/28/2006 12:33:20 AM
Hi. This is my first time on this forum. We live in the country and occasionally get mice in the house. The problem went away when we got a house cat, but the cat has gotten lazy. We are in the market for another house dog, and wonder if any small dogs are known for catching mice.
Thanks.
k9stylist

QUOTE 12/28/2006 5:11:14 AM
Many of your small(er) terrier breeds were actually intended to be critter killers, but as such most of these breeds tend to be very high energy and thus require more training, exercise and attention than your average "house pet." It should also be noted that some of these dogs don't get along too well with cats due to their high preditory drive. With that in mind, my advice to you is to invest in pet friendly mouse traps if you have a mouse problem and research what dogs would fit your lifestyle only if you want one. Just as your cat has grown tired of mousing, a dog may eventually get bored of it, too, and there's no telling if it'll even be interested in the idea to begin with. What's more, killing wild things can be risky business for a beloved pet. Just do your research and if the dog you decide upon fits into your family AND ends up being an excellent mouser, consider it a bonus! Check out www.akc.org for acurate breed info., breed clubs and breeder referals and www.petfinder.com if you would like to adopt.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 12/28/2006 12:16:04 PM
rat terriers! not only the best little dogs but are wonderful mousers/ratters. These are my second breed, Great Danes my first..

My rats put my cats to shame, my cats are lazy, A litle critter has to cross there paths for them to be intrested, the rats they catch a wiff of a trail or a turd and there on a mission and wont stop unless you call them off. This ability has been bred for many years into this breed, but unfortuantly this breed can have a bad reputation due to some bad breeders that dont care so you do have to be careful. Horse/farm people are a good sorce to get a working rat from, very few that show let there dogs hunt. There are also earth dog trials and you may find one there.

THis breed is nothing like the Jack russels or parson russel terriers, these little guys are willing to please you, they are also easy to train.

If this is a breed you are intrested in then feel free to email me for more info and i can help you find a good breeder in your area and send you to web sites to look at diffrent breeders that i cant post here..

they are the best in pet and rat abilitys..

www.picturetrail.com/flashcoat_puppies is a photo album for my dogs and a few of my rescues

rescuewench

QUOTE 12/28/2006 11:46:56 PM
i have a few REAL mouser cats - and they nevre got lazy or fat .. a few are over 10..

and still LOVE to mouse.

BUT i buy humane traps from PETA ( i know GAGA) but the mouse doesnt die and i re home them when caught.

i dont like my animals being murdered inmy home mouse or not..
mice iare HIGHHLY socialized and VERY family orinetated species.

very intelligent too.
i dont like to kill them ..
traps are in humane and usually long horrible deaths.

i was a euth tech.

i have enought death on my soul for 3 life times .

i have caught an released BATS that were inmy home .. and safley let them go...

i don KILL anything but ( BIG SCARY ) SPIDERS in my home.

sorry - if i have to go to hell for that i will - non scary ones are put out doors but BIG scary spiders are KILLED ON the spot.

yeah i guess that makes me a buddhist hippocrite.

but i do have a stone in my front and back yard that SAYS any BIG scary spiders that enter here will be killed on th espot/

if they dont get it- well i warned them...

:(

such is life.

RW
sookiesdad

QUOTE 12/29/2006 8:59:21 AM

Quote rescuewench:

i have a few REAL mouser cats - and they nevre got lazy or fat .. a few are over 10..

and still LOVE to mouse.

BUT i buy humane traps from PETA ( i know GAGA) but the mouse doesnt die and i re home them when caught.

i dont like my animals being murdered inmy home mouse or not..
mice iare HIGHHLY socialized and VERY family orinetated species.

very intelligent too.
i dont like to kill them ..
traps are in humane and usually long horrible deaths.

i was a euth tech.

i have enought death on my soul for 3 life times .

i have caught an released BATS that were inmy home .. and safley let them go...

i don KILL anything but ( BIG SCARY ) SPIDERS in my home.

sorry - if i have to go to hell for that i will - non scary ones are put out doors but BIG scary spiders are KILLED ON the spot.

yeah i guess that makes me a buddhist hippocrite.

but i do have a stone in my front and back yard that SAYS any BIG scary spiders that enter here will be killed on th espot/

if they dont get it- well i warned them...

:(

such is life.

RW
SPIDER MURDERER!!!!!!! LOL....
maoseger1010

QUOTE 12/29/2006 9:36:57 AM

Quote emtan55:

Hi. This is my first time on this forum. We live in the country and occasionally get mice in the house. The problem went away when we got a house cat, but the cat has gotten lazy. We are in the market for another house dog, and wonder if any small dogs are known for catching mice.
Thanks.
I'm not in favor of encouraging house dogs and cats to eat mice/rats. Because they carry a host of bad stuff I don't want my pets injesting. But thats just me.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 12/29/2006 10:46:55 AM

Quote maoseger1010:

I'm not in favor of encouraging house dogs and cats to eat mice/rats. Because they carry a host of bad stuff I don't want my pets injesting. But thats just me.
In the belifes of the raw feeders, primarly the prey models dogs are fed squirels, rats, and any other critter handy when you feed the dogs/cats such things there systems are designed to handle all the bad stuff and reject it and not get sick.
In my belifes, God didnt sanitize the mouse/rat before humans came along and if it wasnt for the cats and dogs we may all be dead from the black plague. Nature is nature, the pets we call cats and dog wernt domesticated for there pet benifits but rather a practical perpous..

On a side note, mine dont seem to eat what they catch, on of the cats left a mouse on hubbys motorcycle seat, and well it went unoticed for a while...YUCK!

btw, a mouse/rat can pee on horse feed and cause sever illness and death
maoseger1010

QUOTE 12/29/2006 12:43:50 PM

Quote cannonfarms:

In the belifes of the raw feeders, primarly the prey models dogs are fed squirels, rats, and any other critter handy when you feed the dogs/cats such things there systems are designed to handle all the bad stuff and reject it and not get sick.
In my belifes, God didnt sanitize the mouse/rat before humans came along and if it wasnt for the cats and dogs we may all be dead from the black plague. Nature is nature, the pets we call cats and dog wernt domesticated for there pet benifits but rather a practical perpous..

On a side note, mine dont seem to eat what they catch, on of the cats left a mouse on hubbys motorcycle seat, and well it went unoticed for a while...YUCK!

btw, a mouse/rat can pee on horse feed and cause sever illness and death
You know Pat I hear what you are saying and I don't disagree but at the same time, todays domesticated house pets are not the pets of old and their systems have been effected by their conintued domestication, IN my opinion.

cannonfarms

QUOTE 12/29/2006 5:34:02 PM
i dont now enought say much but where ive leared about it was on the www.rawfed.com/myths/index/html and it had a link on prey model diet
tiggerlove

QUOTE 12/30/2006 7:08:09 PM
yorkies are also known for their mousing abilitys.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 12/30/2006 8:28:13 PM
yes, the little pip squeeks can be ratter/mouser but at least the rat terriers can be house broken and are not high maintance and dont have the dental troubles like yorkies do, nor prone to so many defects since they are not a over popular over bred breed. Most terriers in general were made for vermin hunting of some sort, hey those short little winner dogs (dachshunds) were designed to hunt baggers
tiggerlove

QUOTE 12/30/2006 8:33:15 PM

Quote cannonfarms:

yes, the little pip squeeks can be ratter/mouser but at least the rat terriers can be house broken and are not high maintance and dont have the dental troubles like yorkies do, nor prone to so many defects since they are not a over popular over bred breed. Most terriers in general were made for vermin hunting of some sort, hey those short little winner dogs (dachshunds) were designed to hunt baggers
My dogs are HOUSEBROKEN, ARE NOT AT ALL HIGH MAINTENCE, AND DON'T HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH THEIR TEETH. Yes, they are prone to all that, But it's called taking proper care of your pets. If you take care of your pet, then those issues can be prevented. The smarter the dog, the harder to train. And they're so popular, because they don't shed, are lap dogs, are small, and they're protective.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 12/30/2006 8:40:48 PM
ohh, man your funny, dont shed, not high maintance, im a groomer you aint foolin me and i bet if you take a black light to your rug youll find were the little angles are doing things when your arnt looking. They are over bred b/c people suck them up because they are cute then come to places like this for advice.
and as far as there teeth, even the best have issues and not even a raw diet can prevent some of the troubles they have, but hey maybe your like the woman with the white dobermans and have the upmost perfect dogs like no one else has ever seen or had and just all us old people about the age of 18 just dont know jack and our experiace with the breed is nothing but a figmant of our imagination.

tiggerlove

QUOTE 12/31/2006 3:40:49 AM

Quote cannonfarms:

ohh, man your funny, dont shed, not high maintance, im a groomer you aint foolin me and i bet if you take a black light to your rug youll find were the little angles are doing things when your arnt looking. They are over bred b/c people suck them up because they are cute then come to places like this for advice.
and as far as there teeth, even the best have issues and not even a raw diet can prevent some of the troubles they have, but hey maybe your like the woman with the white dobermans and have the upmost perfect dogs like no one else has ever seen or had and just all us old people about the age of 18 just dont know jack and our experiace with the breed is nothing but a figmant of our imagination.

Ok, I'm over eighteen for your information. Thank You!!! I have studyed dogs and animals for most of my life, have even worked with animals of all kinds for three years and have even taken into consideration being a vet. I have nothing to prove to you. I don't think my dogs are the best in the world. all dogs make mistakes and whatever. Ok.... I keep my dogs hair short and that's why they are low maintence in my household. Yes, if you allow them to have medium to long lengths of hair they're going to be high maintance, and I know they shed a tiny bit, but not much. But no matter what your opinion is.... They're my babies and regardless I'm going to love them, and stand by their breed.

One other thing, I'm not here for advice...I'm here to state my opinion and to help others with what I know and have experienced. If I have issues with my pets, I know where to go.
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/1/2007 6:02:03 AM

Quote tiggerlove:

Ok, I'm over eighteen for your information. Thank You!!! I have studyed dogs and animals for most of my life, have even worked with animals of all kinds for three years and have even taken into consideration being a vet. I have nothing to prove to you. I don't think my dogs are the best in the world. all dogs make mistakes and whatever. Ok.... I keep my dogs hair short and that's why they are low maintence in my household. Yes, if you allow them to have medium to long lengths of hair they're going to be high maintance, and I know they shed a tiny bit, but not much. But no matter what your opinion is.... They're my babies and regardless I'm going to love them, and stand by their breed.

One other thing, I'm not here for advice...I'm here to state my opinion and to help others with what I know and have experienced. If I have issues with my pets, I know where to go.
wow you studIED dogs & animals ( are not dogs actually animals? ??) for 3 YEARS!
OMG

Planning on becomming the next croc hunter I gather?

well, your sure told us !

ROTFLMAO

RW
maoseger1010

QUOTE 1/1/2007 9:41:01 AM

Quote tiggerlove:

"One other thing, I'm not here for advice...I'm here to state my opinion and to help others with what I know and have experienced. If I have issues with my pets, I know where to go."

Hmmm...
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/1/2007 11:41:07 AM

Quote maoseger1010:

"One other thing, I'm not here for advice...I'm here to state my opinion and to help others with what I know and have experienced. If I have issues with my pets, I know where to go."

Hmmm...
yes we cant wait for you to baste us in your 3 years of knowledge ( from books? - you did mention studying?)
what IS your vast knowledge?

do you show?

ring sports?

SchH??

tracking? SAR?? basic OB? advanced OB?

title any dogs at all EVER?

even a CGC??

I am dying to hear of your knowledge .

as i may be able to learn something from you.

RW
cannonfarms

QUOTE 1/1/2007 11:32:41 PM
Hey my little man caught 2 rats today at the pasture and almost got a tree rat

I swear my el cheapo breed is one of the best and he even came with real papers
rescuewench

QUOTE 1/1/2007 11:39:00 PM
still drumming fingers waiting on the VAST knowledge to be BESTOWED on us...

RW
lganio

QUOTE 1/2/2007 8:53:37 PM
I am new to my Min Pin, or should I say she is new to me, but from my research on her, it is stated they are good mousers. I can't tell you how easy or hard of a breed they are to raise and train, because I am just going through it myself!! I can tell you she loves to be held, carried, and sit on my lap.
Post Reply New Topic