what dogs do not shed at all??

what dogs do not shed at all??

cbdowell

QUOTE 11/26/2006 1:49:24 PM
Hi,
We have an Akita now. The pet store we bought her from told us Akitas don't shed! Haaaa! We have to sell her due to my alergies, yet the kids really want a dog. Is there a small breed dog that does not shed? And not that sheds once or twice a year, but that just does not shed period?? I've never been a fan of dogs in the house, just something I grew up with, but if there was a low maintenence dog that didn't shed, it would be great...any ideas, before I just go to fish ?? :)
rescuewench

QUOTE 11/26/2006 5:24:55 PM
all dogs shed..
and frankly the allergies are NOt fromteh hair its from teh dander ( and sometimes saliva)

there are LOW shedders.. usually in the wire coated breeds - and dogs like poodles ,

please dont buy dogs from pet stores , as you see - they will tell you ANYTHING to get your money. :(

hypoallergenic dogs IS A MYTH.

some people can tolerate certain levels of dander more than others .

please reasearch this more before you buy again.

RW
suebgone

QUOTE 11/26/2006 9:26:54 PM
Keep in mind that the low shedding dogs need to be groomed every 6 - 8 weeks with a lot of brushing in between.

Perhaps you should try fostering before you get another dog. Or spend some time with a friend who has the type dog you want to see how you react.

There are plenty of breed specific & small dog rescues around so that there is absolutely no reason to go to a pet shop where all the puppies come from puppymills. You also don't want to get a dog from a back yard breeder.

I would also suggest that instead of re-homing the dog yourself see if you can get an Akita rescue to take it. People seldom have a clue how to screen potential owners & you'd be taking an awful chance by doing it yourself. ALso, please get him neutered before letting him go anywhere.
k9stylist

QUOTE 11/26/2006 9:43:02 PM
There are many low shedding dogs out there (Schnauzers, Poodles, Bichons, Portugese Water Dogs, Lhasa Apsos, Shih Tzus, Maltese, etc.), but they aren't always good for allergy sufferers. You really need to spend some time researching the right breed for your family and then spend some more time with potential dogs of the breed(s) you're interested in. AKC dot org has a list of breeds, breed clubs and lots of good information on breed characteristics. After looking there I would suggest searching on PetFinder dot com for a rescue nearby.

As for your Akita, there might still be hope. Are you getting it groomed regularly? Dander and shedding hair can be kept to a minimum if the dog is kept groomed by a professional and sometimes using hypoallergenic dog shampoo helps the owner, too. Another thing to remember is that your dog's coat will bring other allergens inside so watching where s*he goes to play is important. As another poster pointed out, it's often not dog hair that people are allergic to, but the dander and saliva...
cannonfarms

QUOTE 11/26/2006 10:58:08 PM
the plastic ones, im sorry couldnt restist..

there are no non hair shedding breeds, other than the hairless, they shed there skin badly enough so its just as bad as the hair (most have a fuzz to them anyway) but as stated befor, the hair isnt the problem
noskiveez

QUOTE 11/26/2006 11:19:22 PM
Ahh, Hairless might not shed hair, but they still produce dander and protien in the saliva. If you dont take good care of hairless, they get scally and their skin cracks and they'll itch til it bleeds. Hairless dogs require ALOT more care than most think.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 11/27/2006 12:32:36 AM
my hairless came to me with black heads all over her, they are more maintance than most breeds and can be more maintance than me, i bought skin cream for the dog when i wouldnt spend more that a buck on lotion for me, and sunburn, man with out 50 block they can become a crispy critter in no time, found that out the hard way, i only had 30 for the kids....
noskiveez

QUOTE 11/27/2006 1:54:35 PM
Yes. High maintence they are. They have break outs, get dry, get burned, everything that our skin gets, they can likely get too. I use a loofah on my HL dogs. I wet it in warm water to soften it, then I slather lotion on the loofah and give them a good rub down in the tub with the lotioned loofah. Helps get rid of the nasty things.

Light colored ones do burn. I have a pink boy that can only spend a short amount of time outside. I dont want him to burn. My slate HL turn a rich dark color and look so nice. They tan kind of the opposite as most would think. They tan in the winter and lighten up in the summer because I dont let them stay out too long in the summer.
miarob

QUOTE 11/27/2006 5:37:24 PM
Has anyone heard of American Hairless Terriers? I saw them on petfinders, they look like JRT without any hair, cute!
noskiveez

QUOTE 11/28/2006 12:09:36 PM
I've heard of them. They are cute...but then again I am partial to bald dogs. LOL
rebelakitas

QUOTE 11/28/2006 10:15:31 PM
There is one breed of dog called a Lasa Apso that hardly sheds at all. When it does shed it is in small tight clumps that you can pick up off of the floor or brush out. They are a small breed and they make good pets.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 11/28/2006 10:31:44 PM

Quote rebelakitas:

There is one breed of dog called a Lasa Apso that hardly sheds at all. When it does shed it is in small tight clumps that you can pick up off of the floor or brush out. They are a small breed and they make good pets.
Llasa's need lots of grooming and are not for everyone. Often don't do well with small children.
miarob

QUOTE 11/29/2006 9:03:04 PM

Quote maoseger1010:

Llasa's need lots of grooming and are not for everyone. Often don't do well with small children.
Make that NEVER
Post Reply New Topic