yorkie in lion cut

yorkie in lion cut

wronia19

QUOTE 11/3/2006 11:30:17 PM
When doing a yorkie in a lion cut do you shave short from the ribs and back legs, leaving the full coat or do you shave whole body leaving main? Does anyone know where I could find a pic?
rottylover0021

QUOTE 11/4/2006 2:52:11 PM
i could'nt find a pic but found how to cut the hair that way

The modified lion cut is; leaving long - the head, top of the neck, over the shoulders and across the chest, both front and back legs - shaving under the neck to the jaw line, the entire body after the shoulders, 3 quarters of the tail leaving a tuft at the end. All dogs should have the bridge of the nose and the corner of their eyes shaved at least every 6 weeks

dogbreedinfo.com
emlee3

QUOTE 11/4/2006 11:53:32 PM
why would you want to shave your yorkie? they have such beautiful hair..esp the silky ones.

also, not sure where you live..but if you live in a country/state that has a harsher winter then you shouldn't be shaving your dog.
rescuewench

QUOTE 11/5/2006 9:23:22 AM

i cannot even IMAGINE a yorkie in a lions cut.. at all. sounds HORRID.

JMO

RW
mja1103

QUOTE 11/5/2006 9:07:49 PM
I've never seen a Yorkie done in a lion cut and can't see why on Earth anyone would do it in the first place. Why do people get a long haired dog only to shave it?? If you can't manage a long coat then get a "puppy" cut. Yorkies do not tolerate cold or wet weather very well and by taking all of the hair off you take away the insulation.
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 11/6/2006 11:05:26 PM
I don't understand the concept of giving a canine a feline hair 'do.

I bet it would be kinda cute though if you think about it. They're not exactly macho dogs anyway.
k9stylist

QUOTE 11/7/2006 12:05:27 AM
FYI: Lion cuts aren't always a "feline" style. In fact, dogs like the Lowchen and Portuguese Water Dog often SHOW this way. It's a similar style to the Continental adult show trim of Poodles which was actually meant to be functional and keep the dog warm while working and retrieving water fowl, etc. So the thought of a little Yorkie "getting chilled" in a full lion trim is pretty silly if you think about it, especially if the hair is not shaved completely down to the skin on the body and/or it's an indoor dog as most little ones are!

As a professional groomer, I've actually styled Chows and other breeds into lion trims and done properly these dogs turn out quite cute! Of course the reasons WHY someone would want to trim their long haired dog's coat are many and varied. For some owners it's sanitation, others like their dogs to be easier to keep or be cooler in hot weather and still others just want a fun new style. So long as the dog remains comfortable and happy, who's to say it isn't right?
maoseger1010

QUOTE 11/7/2006 7:30:09 AM

Quote k9stylist:

FYI: Lion cuts aren't always a "feline" style. In fact, dogs like the Lowchen and Portuguese Water Dog often SHOW this way. It's a similar style to the Continental adult show trim of Poodles which was actually meant to be functional and keep the dog warm while working and retrieving water fowl, etc. So the thought of a little Yorkie "getting chilled" in a full lion trim is pretty silly if you think about it, especially if the hair is not shaved completely down to the skin on the body and/or it's an indoor dog as most little ones are!

As a professional groomer, I've actually styled Chows and other breeds into lion trims and done properly these dogs turn out quite cute! Of course the reasons WHY someone would want to trim their long haired dog's coat are many and varied. For some owners it's sanitation, others like their dogs to be easier to keep or be cooler in hot weather and still others just want a fun new style. So long as the dog remains comfortable and happy, who's to say it isn't right?
I personally can see a Chow in a lion cut, since they have very thick coats and they are among the "Lion" dog family with Shih Tzu's,Llasa Opso's. However I think a Yorkie would look just awful in a lion cut. My two cents spend at will.
rescuewench

QUOTE 11/7/2006 7:34:49 AM

totally.

RW

gee maybe i should have my GSD's done as a lions too !
emlee3

QUOTE 11/7/2006 9:35:04 AM

Quote k9stylist:

i understand that some people would want to cut their dogs hair short in hot weather BUT what people don't realize is that the double-coated dogs or even the long haired-dogs their is a reason why they have that coat. the coat not only insulates them from cold but also from heat..it also keeps the sun away from their skin..did you know dog's can also get skin cancer? there are sanitation cuts that you can get for your dogs..why shave the whole body? if a person didn't want a long-haired dog than they shouldn't have gotten a dog or how about get a hairless chinese crested..it almost looks like a yorkie w/o hair.

i don't believe a chow should even get a lion's cut..any type of spitz type dog should NEVER be shaved.

i'm sure your a great groomer BUT lets face the facts of course you don't think the lion cut is not bad..thats part of your business!
rescuewench

QUOTE 11/7/2006 10:46:16 AM

i agree too.. you are in the biz, naturally you want people to get these clips , thats normal.
BUT i do NOTthink long coated dogs should be shaved..
on anOESD mabe trim hair so dog can see over eyes..

BUT not shaved!

i will NEVER under stand why people will get long coated brees and then shave them, especially is silly looking cllips.

we ONLY shave dogs that are severly matted.

and we DO the toys like teh poodles ( but ONLY in a long puupy clip) so peoplecan tell whatthe breed actually is.

NONE of our northern breeds or chows or collies or OESD etc..etc.. are shaved unless matted to teh skin. or have mange .

RW
mja1103

QUOTE 11/7/2006 10:56:09 AM

Quote emlee3:

i understand that some people would want to cut their dogs hair short in hot weather BUT what people don't realize is that the double-coated dogs or even the long haired-dogs their is a reason why they have that coat. the coat not only insulates them from cold but also from heat..it also keeps the sun away from their skin..did you know dog's can also get skin cancer? there are sanitation cuts that you can get for your dogs..why shave the whole body? if a person didn't want a long-haired dog than they shouldn't have gotten a dog or how about get a hairless chinese crested..it almost looks like a yorkie w/o hair.

i don't believe a chow should even get a lion's cut..any type of spitz type dog should NEVER be shaved.

i'm sure your a great groomer BUT lets face the facts of course you don't think the lion cut is not bad..thats part of your business!
Clipping for sanitation purposes is one thing...I personally dislike the "lion" cut. I don't like it on Poms AT ALL. Their double coat is there for a reason, and if someone doesn't want to have to brush and groom them then they had no business getting one in the first place. I can't even imagine a Yorkie done that way...YUCK!! A puppy cut, yes..a "lion" cut...no!!!
rescuewench

QUOTE 11/7/2006 11:21:10 AM

Quote mja1103:

Clipping for sanitation purposes is one thing...I personally dislike the "lion" cut. I don't like it on Poms AT ALL. Their double coat is there for a reason, and if someone doesn't want to have to brush and groom them then they had no business getting one in the first place. I can't even imagine a Yorkie done that way...YUCK!! A puppy cut, yes..a "lion" cut...no!!!
totally agreed here too.

RW
k9stylist

QUOTE 11/7/2006 1:13:30 PM
Yes, I do know that dogs can get sun cancer, but as I mentioned previously, not all lion cuts are shaved all the way to the skin and do leave protection from the elements.

Wow, what a CRAZY spin this thread took! Do some of you really think that these dogs shouldn't be owned by people if their hair will be trimmed? How sad, considering that the great majority of these dogs are beloved pets and are the LUCKY ones who will actually visit a professional groomer often instead of rotting in their matted coats in someone's backyard. The only reason they have long coats to begin with would be selective breeding and a lot of that was done for "show," NOT practicality. In fact, many pampered SHOW DOGS will get their beautiful coats shaved down after their career is over. Gee, I suppose according to some here those poor dogs should be taken away from their owners, as well?
animalluver8

QUOTE 11/7/2006 1:58:27 PM

Quote k9stylist:

Yes, I do know that dogs can get sun cancer, but as I mentioned previously, not all lion cuts are shaved all the way to the skin and do leave protection from the elements.

Wow, what a CRAZY spin this thread took! Do some of you really think that these dogs shouldn't be owned by people if their hair will be trimmed? How sad, considering that the great majority of these dogs are beloved pets and are the LUCKY ones who will actually visit a professional groomer often instead of rotting in their matted coats in someone's backyard. The only reason they have long coats to begin with would be selective breeding and a lot of that was done for "show," NOT practicality. In fact, many pampered SHOW DOGS will get their beautiful coats shaved down after their career is over. Gee, I suppose according to some here those poor dogs should be taken away from their owners, as well?
In a way, I have to agree with k9stylist. It's not the hugest deal for one to have their dog clipped if it means avoiding mats and other problems, especially if they do not plan on showing their dog. Of course it's reasonable to let them keep their coat if it's extra hot or extra cold - I'm just saying that this type of suggestion should be taken to any extremes. It's a haircut.

Though I cannot disagree with the fact that yorkies must look ridiculous in a lion cut...Chows even more so. A puppy cut would look okay...but a lion cut? Ew?
mja1103

QUOTE 11/7/2006 2:30:30 PM
I don't care if the dog is going to be shown or not. The hair on both a Pom and Yorkie serves a purpose and if the new owner can't/won't maintain the coat then they shouldn't have purchased that breed. Neither breed will become matted and tangled if they are brushed and taken care of properly.
k9stylist

QUOTE 11/7/2006 3:05:38 PM
Sorry, but most of the "purpose" intended in a long drop coat or plush double coat is lost when the dog lives indoors in a modern home. That's also why you have an incredible amount of money spent by pet owners trying to get their single coated, short haired indoor dogs to stop shedding. The dogs simply don't get exposure to natural sunlight or temperatures except when they potty, so many start to shed continuously throughout the year. At any rate, I highly doubt there are very many pampered little Yorkies, Shih Tzus, Lhasas, Maltese, Pomeranians, Shnauzers, Poodles, etc. who are kept indoors in homes with heat and air conditioning that actually NEED their full coat to be comfortable. In extreme climates the dogs simply aren't shaven down all the way if they spend much time in the sunshine or they are bundled up in the cold to avoid getting chilled. Honestly, some of you people really ought to spend more time concerning yourself over dogs that actually need your sympathy...
mja1103

QUOTE 11/7/2006 4:43:17 PM
Well, then I'll state my opinion based on MY personal preference. I have both Poms and a Yorkie who live in heat/air and have their full coats. Three of my Poms are in the show ring. My Yorkie is my pet. Yes it takes a great deal to keep their coats looking great, but I PREFER their coats so take the time to brush and groom. Part of my attraction to both breeds were their coats!! As far as shedding goes I don't have a problem. Yorkies are low to no shedding since they have "hair" and maintaining my Poms coats keeps shedding to a minimum. Regarding your statement: "Honestly, some of you people really ought to spend more time concerning yourself over Dogs that actually need your sympathy..." I volunteer 3 times a week at our local shelter and foster as needed. I also donate supplies and cash to the shelter back "home" in Illinois. I have an adopted GSD mutt and "concern" myself a great deal with the plight of unwanted, abused, and neglected animals. However, I do have the right to state my opinion. If someone wants to shave, dye, or whatever that's their perogative..as long as they are informed of the consequences of their decision.
emlee3

QUOTE 11/7/2006 6:20:55 PM

Quote k9stylist:

Sorry, but most of the "purpose" intended in a long drop coat or plush double coat is lost when the dog lives indoors in a modern home. That's also why you have an incredible amount of money spent by pet owners trying to get their single coated, short haired indoor dogs to stop shedding. The dogs simply don't get exposure to natural sunlight or temperatures except when they potty, so many start to shed continuously throughout the year. At any rate, I highly doubt there are very many pampered little Yorkies, Shih Tzus, Lhasas, Maltese, Pomeranians, Shnauzers, Poodles, etc. who are kept indoors in homes with heat and air conditioning that actually NEED their full coat to be comfortable. In extreme climates the dogs simply aren't shaven down all the way if they spend much time in the sunshine or they are bundled up in the cold to avoid getting chilled. Honestly, some of you people really ought to spend more time concerning yourself over dogs that actually need your sympathy...
yes dogs that live indoors or in hotter climates do shed more but that's one of the disadvantages of having a dog and if anyone was thinking of getting a dog they should take in consideration that ALL dogs shed.
i just think its unnecssary for a yorkie to be in a lions cut esp when winter is coming. this is MY OPINION i didn't say we should all ban haircuts for dogs. i just don't understand why people would want to do it..some people shave their dogs in the summer but WHY..because they shed more or because they believe it helps them stay cooler.
lets look at the coyote..it may not be domesticated but it sure has a lot of fur on its back..if dogs did not need thier coat then wouldn't ALL dogs be born hairless. The coat of the dog is able to adjust to temperture..so when its hot they shed more and when its cold they don't shed as much..but there is a REASON to why dogs have hair and to take that away from them well who cares as long as they look "cute".

whoever said we didn't care about dogs who are in need..just because we don't AGREE w/ a certain hair cut doesn't mean we don't care about all the dogs being killed everyday..your the one making it bigger than it really is

123peta

QUOTE 5/30/2007 12:35:36 AM
lion cuts on yorkies are of the devil. in some nigerian tribes the tribe chief has yorkies imported just to give them lion cuts. the helpless yorkies are then trained to commence in tribal fire dances with the tribes elders. now, these dances have been reserched by american evangelists and have been proven to be used to summon evil spirits from the "dark dimensions". i believe that this information should be enough to defer someone from defacing a precious, beautiful animal such as the yorkie.
Post Reply New Topic