Why does my dog choke for no reason?

Why does my dog choke for no reason?

sidnei

QUOTE 10/13/2006 11:03:49 AM
Hello, I have a six month old male Coton de Tulear.
He is healthy puppy, but sometimes, for no reason the starts chocking.
He has never choked while eating. When it happens he does not have anything on his mouth. Sometimes he is laying down and when he gets up he chokes.
He has like a 30 seconds crises every time is happens...
I even removed his collar because I thought it could be it, but it still happens... what is that? Is that normal?

Thank you in advance,

-Sidnei
cannonfarms

QUOTE 10/13/2006 11:48:38 AM
i dont knowe much about that breed, but it sounds like that it coiuld be a week treachia or a colapsing treachia, you really need to have this checked out, its not a comon thing yet but its becoming so. this isnt something to play with and is a gentic defect most of the time, i dont think theres any treatment for it
rescuewench

QUOTE 10/13/2006 1:31:10 PM
i wouldnt screw around with this - i would get him to vet post haste.

RW
christyut

QUOTE 10/13/2006 2:43:24 PM

Quote rescuewench:

i wouldnt screw around with this - i would get him to vet post haste.

RW

I could be something serious. Or, it could just be reverse sneezing, which can seem scary if you are not sure what it is. I would take the dog to the vet and describe the symptoms to them, just to be sure.
miarob

QUOTE 10/13/2006 5:10:40 PM
My Boston did that, very scary. It did turn out to be a colapsed tracia and there was nothing the vet could do about it. Some times he would go at it for a minute of more. It would happen after he would wake up and sometimes foam would come out of his mouth.
mja1103

QUOTE 10/13/2006 6:52:22 PM
I would take your pup to the vet to see if it is indeed a collapsed trachea. I found this site that explains all about it. WARNING: There is a photo which shows a surgical procedure!!!! Good Luck!
http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/tracheal_collapse.htm
funnybunny

QUOTE 10/13/2006 9:31:52 PM
I would get your dog into the vet asap. As the others said, it could be something as serious as a collapsed trachea, or it could be something as simple as a reverse sneeze, but you never know until the dog is seen by a veterinarian. My Miniature Pinscher reverse sneezes from time to time, but it doesn't sound like choking to me. It sounded as though she couldn't breathe. I grabbed her muzzle and sucked on her nose, but come to find out she simply reverse sneezes Depending on what your dog does exactly and how it sounds I could not speculate on what it could be, but your dog does need to see a vet asap.
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/13/2006 11:23:02 PM

Quote funnybunny:

I would get your dog into the vet asap. As the others said, it could be something as serious as a collapsed trachea, or it could be something as simple as a reverse sneeze, but you never know until the dog is seen by a veterinarian. My Miniature Pinscher reverse sneezes from time to time, but it doesn't sound like choking to me. It sounded as though she couldn't breathe. I grabbed her muzzle and sucked on her nose, but come to find out she simply reverse sneezes Depending on what your dog does exactly and how it sounds I could not speculate on what it could be, but your dog does need to see a vet asap.
Sorry...I just got a visual
maoseger1010

QUOTE 10/13/2006 11:42:20 PM

Quote sidnei:

Hello, I have a six month old male Coton de Tulear.
He is healthy puppy, but sometimes, for no reason the starts chocking.
He has never choked while eating. When it happens he does not have anything on his mouth. Sometimes he is laying down and when he gets up he chokes.
He has like a 30 seconds crises every time is happens...
I even removed his collar because I thought it could be it, but it still happens... what is that? Is that normal?

Thank you in advance,

-Sidnei
Yes you should take your dog to a vet so the VET can tell you what is happening.

Having said that... my guess is what you are seeing is a backwards sneeze. Its very common in small dogs and is not life threating. It sounds just awful.
funnybunny

QUOTE 10/14/2006 8:48:55 AM

Quote noskiveez:

Sorry...I just got a visual
Lol everyone seems to when I say that. My dad saw me do it and thought it was so disgusting. I flipped out over nothing...so afterwards I just simply felt stupid.
rescuewench

QUOTE 10/14/2006 11:47:57 AM
had a weim in foster a while back first dog ever thet was a backward sneezer- freaked me out.

took to vet - was told to open mouth stick finger down throt- it worked .

BUT again i stress this COULD be a far more serious condition,

so a vets advice would be best right now.

RW
cannonfarms

QUOTE 10/14/2006 12:37:09 PM
ok im having a hard time beliving i havent had a dog come throught that didnt backward sneeze but i cant get a visual on that, are you talking about when it sounds like there a person sucking snot back up but it comes in several sessions? sounds gross but thats about the best way i can describe what my boston and dachie will do when they get over excited
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/14/2006 1:11:49 PM
Promise used to reverse sneeze too. The first time she did it I thought there was something wrong with her. It first happened the day after I had gotten her and she was supposed to go to the vet the following day. I told the vet about it and odd enough as it was she did it at the vets office and he told me not to worry about it and that it was pretty much the equivelant of a sneeze.
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/14/2006 1:14:05 PM

Quote funnybunny:

Lol everyone seems to when I say that. My dad saw me do it and thought it was so disgusting. I flipped out over nothing...so afterwards I just simply felt stupid.
It cracks me up to see how people react to different things pertaining to pets.
anasazi

QUOTE 10/14/2006 1:35:40 PM

Quote cannonfarms:

ok im having a hard time beliving i havent had a dog come throught that didnt backward sneeze but i cant get a visual on that, are you talking about when it sounds like there a person sucking snot back up but it comes in several sessions? sounds gross but thats about the best way i can describe what my boston and dachie will do when they get over excited
Yes, thats it.. My dogs sounds like hes snorting. It freaked me out when I heard him for the first time as Ive enver had a dog do this before.
threegoldens

QUOTE 10/14/2006 2:43:38 PM
For peace of mind, and possibily safety of your dog, have him checked by the vet.
jmh8984

QUOTE 10/14/2006 3:46:24 PM
I have a french bulldog that did the same thing when he was about 4 months old. The vet said that he had an elongated soft palate, but it was not too serious. As he got older I guess he grew into it because the choking stopped and he has been checked out by the vet and everything is fine. I also have a friend that has an english bulldog who had the same problem, but more serious and had to have surgery to have 3 inches of her dog's soft palate removed. I don't know if this is a possibility for your dog because it is more common in dogs with short snouts and larger heads and mouths, but just a suggestion.
puplover930

QUOTE 10/14/2006 3:54:27 PM
Some small dogs choke a lot, like Papillons and Chi's. This happens because the dogs small nasal cavities can be filled with hair or dust particles that come up off the floor. I'd go to the vet just in case though.
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/14/2006 10:25:34 PM

Quote anasazi:

Yes, thats it.. My dogs sounds like hes snorting. It freaked me out when I heard him for the first time as Ive enver had a dog do this before.
First time I heard it I thought Athsma attack.
elizabeth18607

QUOTE 3/5/2013 10:00:10 PM
My 3 week old puppy gets overly excited and starts to choke but nothing comes out. And after it happens she acts like nothing ever happened and starts jumping around so idk if its bad or good with her choking andim kinda getting really scared
Post Reply New Topic