What do you all know about runt puppies?

What do you all know about runt puppies?

grullablue

QUOTE 9/20/2006 9:43:42 AM
We have a runt puppy that several people want just BECAUSE he is so small. He seems healthy and robust, but I don't want to let him go he might be unhealthy, unsound, etc. I had planned to keep him because of this for a pet.

What do you know about runts? Are they more prone to unsoundness problems? Conformationally, do they seem correct, or do they tend to have weird conformation like short legs or big heads?

Thanks,

Toni
funnybunny

QUOTE 9/20/2006 10:55:02 AM
Runt puppies are simply premature puppies, born a little too early so they are not as fully developed as the larger pups in the litter. However, they do not always end up being the smallest of the litter, and can grow full size. What breed is the litter? It is difficult to say whether the puppy was born premature, whether it was genetics, or nutrition deficiency from a large litter, and it's impossible to determine what size the puppy will be full grown. I do however know that the smallest of the litter is much more fragile and many times requires special care and the proper precautions must be taken. Because "runts" are much smaller, their immune system may not be as strong so it would be more difficult for that specific puppy to fend off certain viruses that could make it ill. Some also say that very small puppies can have heart defects and things of that nature because of their tiny size, which I have personally seen. This puppy should not be adopted out to anyone, especially someone specifically looking for a "runt". The puppy could grow up to be the size of the others with proper care and nutrition, however there is no way to determine that, so to keep the puppy in safe hands, it would be best that it not be adopted out to anyone. People looking for "runts" tend to get upset when their dog grows over what they expected. I have seen this myself, and it is even visible in the celebrity world. Paris Hilton bought Tinkerbell, her Chihuahua, but it got too big so she got rid of her and got another smaller Chihuahua. Today many people are looking for that "accessory" to add to their ensemble and give them the celebrity look, such as Paris Hilton, and they have no idea what they are getting themselves into when taking on such a responsibility. My advice would be, keep this puppy and do not adopt it out. There are too many things that could go wrong for the pup, so it would be best that the animal stay in your care.
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 9/20/2006 1:31:05 PM

Quote grullablue:

We have a runt puppy that several people want just BECAUSE he is so small. He seems healthy and robust, but I don't want to let him go he might be unhealthy, unsound, etc. I had planned to keep him because of this for a pet.

What do you know about runts? Are they more prone to unsoundness problems? Conformationally, do they seem correct, or do they tend to have weird conformation like short legs or big heads?

Thanks,

Toni
And if your gut instinct is telling you to hang on to him for a while, then do so. Do NOT sell him to someone who wants him just because he's so small. I feel that people like that are very shallow. If he grows up to be full size, will they still love him even though they wanted a small one?

Just make sure he's getting a chance to nurse, and treat him with a little more attention than the rest. Plenty of runts grow up to be perfectly healthy dogs.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 9/20/2006 3:34:55 PM

Quote foxfire_ga79:

And if your gut instinct is telling you to hang on to him for a while, then do so. Do NOT sell him to someone who wants him just because he's so small. I feel that people like that are very shallow. If he grows up to be full size, will they still love him even though they wanted a small one?

Just make sure he's getting a chance to nurse, and treat him with a little more attention than the rest. Plenty of runts grow up to be perfectly healthy dogs.

I agree. Keep him and let him grow, many health problems in premee's do not show up for a few months.

Depending on how premee he is he could have no health issues or he could have a ton of them. Anyone buying a premee should know the risks.

If you sell this puppy now you'd better bank the money for the next year or so because the buyer could be coming back to you for that money later claiming you sold them a sick dog.

Good luck.
2pupmom

QUOTE 9/20/2006 7:00:13 PM
I know that one of my pups was a runt, and she did have some immune system problems. All the puppies were left alone in a trash bag with out a mom.It is a miracle that they are alive. But when we adopted them, she was the "smallest" and she needs special care. I agree with the other posts that you should keep him. People now are using these little dogs as fashion statements and it drives me crazy!!! Dont let your lil boy be an accessory.
celinejm

QUOTE 3/29/2008 11:24:20 AM
6 months ago I was sold a runt by a breeder. SHe never told me he was the runt and lied to me about why she still had him at 9 weeks old.
I didn't want a runt. I paid a lot of money for my dog looking for the healthiest best looking one.
6 months later, I hate the breeder for lying to me but I love Blizzard so much I don't regret a thing!!! He has some immune problems and has to be on an expensive raw food diet and his vet bills don't stop but I love him so much and I would do anything for him!
I think you should adopt him to a super nurturing loving home. Give prospective buyers a series of tests they need to pass before you approve this special little pup into their home.
I work from home so I can give Blizzard all the attention he needs.
He doesn't look like a perfect representation of the breed but his personality is the best I could have hoped for!!! I love him so much!!!
I think it would be great if you gave your pup an opportunity to go to a great person like me who can love him to pieces. Nurtuting a pup you love so much back to health is the best gift. I see pictures of him before and he was so sick. Now he is healthy and always the happiest pup at the dogpark!
You can adopt him to the right people!
moggie

QUOTE 3/29/2008 2:34:41 PM
you did not say what breed this puppy was nor what the facts are that led up to his being the runt such as how many were in his litter...were there any issues with any of the puppies...is this puppy current on vaccines and dewormings...have you been giving him the proper nutrition...sometimes the smallest in the litter has to fight for his food against the larger healthiest puppies...without knowing all the circumstances...noone would know how to answer this...someone mentioned that they wondered why a breeder still had a puppy at 9 weeks of age?? what is the issue with this...9 weeks old is still very young...i would imagine that with proper care and nutrition...vitamin supplements..etc..he will more than likely mature normally, however, it is NOT in your best interest...or his...or a new owner....to allow him to go anywhere until you are 100% sure he has a clean bill of health...celinejm...i would be looking for another vet right away...sounds like your is draining you..
cannonfarms

QUOTE 3/29/2008 3:14:04 PM

Quote celinejm:

6 months ago I was sold a runt by a breeder. SHe never told me he was the runt and lied to me about why she still had him at 9 weeks old.
I didn't want a runt. I paid a lot of money for my dog looking for the healthiest best looking one.
6 months later, I hate the breeder for lying to me but I love Blizzard so much I don't regret a thing!!! He has some immune problems and has to be on an expensive raw food diet and his vet bills don't stop but I love him so much and I would do anything for him!
I think you should adopt him to a super nurturing loving home. Give prospective buyers a series of tests they need to pass before you approve this special little pup into their home.
I work from home so I can give Blizzard all the attention he needs.
He doesn't look like a perfect representation of the breed but his personality is the best I could have hoped for!!! I love him so much!!!
I think it would be great if you gave your pup an opportunity to go to a great person like me who can love him to pieces. Nurtuting a pup you love so much back to health is the best gift. I see pictures of him before and he was so sick. Now he is healthy and always the happiest pup at the dogpark!
You can adopt him to the right people!
Im a raw feeder and natural rear my animals so you caught my attention as to why your vet bills are so high and what kind of disorder does the dog have? what is your vet doing to treat it?
maryanddobes

QUOTE 3/30/2008 12:20:32 AM
Again, the original post is from 18 months ago so I'd assume the situation has sorted itself out by now.

However, fwiw, I always say that one of the puppies has to be the smallest. They aren't all going to be the same size.

The last (9th) puppy born in my last litter came a good 3 hours after puppy 8, and I had never seen a puppy so flat. She was literally a head followed by a pancake body. She weighed 13 oz which isn't horribly small for a Doberman but she was the smallest, and she remained the smallest for a long time. I helped her along so she didn't get pushed off by her bigger, stronger littermates.

Anyway, I kept her. Moxie is 7 months old now, and she will be shown. She is happy and healthy with no visible problems at this time. The smallest doesn't have to be inferiour and doesn't necessarily stay the smallest (she has a sister who is smaller than her now).

And I still call her my little pancake.
lakid1

QUOTE 3/31/2008 3:04:27 PM

Quote foxfire_ga79:

You are right about that. Just because a puppy is small doesn't mean that he or she is cute.
lakid1

QUOTE 3/31/2008 3:04:46 PM

Quote foxfire_ga79:

You are right about that. Just because a puppy is small doesn't mean that he or she is cute and cuddly.
misssofie

QUOTE 3/31/2008 4:12:08 PM
text

Hi, I'm Rebecca C. from NC. I got a runt(poodle) once and after 8 years she died of liver failure. My vet told me that the runts of a litter tend at sometime have more probs. than others. Liver probs. is one. Problems didn't show up until it was too late....liver transplant was a slim option. It broke my heart to loose her.. "Miss Bitty" was her name, she was my best friend. So, what I'm saying is, you want know if there are problems until they get older.
noskiveez

QUOTE 3/31/2008 6:30:59 PM

Quote maryanddobes:

Again, the original post is from 18 months ago so I'd assume the situation has sorted itself out by now.

However, fwiw, I always say that one of the puppies has to be the smallest. They aren't all going to be the same size.

The last (9th) puppy born in my last litter came a good 3 hours after puppy 8, and I had never seen a puppy so flat. She was literally a head followed by a pancake body. She weighed 13 oz which isn't horribly small for a Doberman but she was the smallest, and she remained the smallest for a long time. I helped her along so she didn't get pushed off by her bigger, stronger littermates.

Anyway, I kept her. Moxie is 7 months old now, and she will be shown. She is happy and healthy with no visible problems at this time. The smallest doesn't have to be inferiour and doesn't necessarily stay the smallest (she has a sister who is smaller than her now).

And I still call her my little pancake.
I agree. A dog that I once had was born at 7 OZ, being the largest of the litter. At maturity he weighted a whopping 4 pounds. Smaller than breed standard in every way. We fully expected him to grow...and he just didnt get any bigger.

Yet the pup that was born out of this same litter, who weighted 3 OZ at birth, matured into a 14 pounder at maturity.

cannonfarms

QUOTE 3/31/2008 7:39:49 PM

Quote lakid1:

You are right about that. Just because a puppy is small doesn't mean that he or she is cute and cuddly.
just so you know, Foxfire doesnt post here anymore, she is a missed person at least by me but I met her on the forum and found out she lives in Ga about 2 hours from me and has become one of my best partners in crime aka driving our husbands crazy with our kritters and the stuff we get into, Lucy and Ethel have nothing on us.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 3/31/2008 9:01:51 PM
Runts can be perfectly fine and just small for many reasons. A lot catch up with their littermates eventually.

Others may develop problems early or on down the road--just like any puppy.

There may or may not be a health reason that is keeping it small. You can't make generalized blanket statements about anything.

I have had many runt puppies over the years that have been fine, but a very few have just been weaker pups that continued to have weaker immune systems.
Post Reply New Topic