lethargic puppy

lethargic puppy

jensthreads

QUOTE 9/10/2006 6:18:42 PM
My puppy, which is a shi tz-hu, poodle blend, and 13 weeks old, has been lethargic this afternoon and not eating or drinking. It will take a treat if I give it to him, but I am a little concerned. Since I've only noticed this in the past few hours, should I be concerned yet? Is this something that sometimes happens to puppies? (Since it's Sunday, I will have to wait until tomorrow to call the vet if need be). Thank you!
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 9/10/2006 10:11:02 PM

Quote jensthreads:

My puppy, which is a shi tz-hu, poodle blend, and 13 weeks old, has been lethargic this afternoon and not eating or drinking. It will take a treat if I give it to him, but I am a little concerned. Since I've only noticed this in the past few hours, should I be concerned yet? Is this something that sometimes happens to puppies? (Since it's Sunday, I will have to wait until tomorrow to call the vet if need be). Thank you!
Give him some sugar water or goat milk quickly. If you have an emergency vet, give them a call. This could be hypoglycemia, AKA low blood sugar. As surprising as it sounds, when a creature's blood sugar level drops too low, mild to moderate nausea is a symptom so even though they desperatly need to eat, they don't want to. The lethargy fits right in there as a main symptom. Does your dog seem dizzy or disoriented? If so, just plain GO to the emergency vet right away. Even if not, get a quick start on fixing this.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 9/10/2006 10:27:27 PM
low blood sugar, hook worms, onset of parvo who knows but its something needing atention asap before it gets worse..sugar will give it a lift if it is the l.b. sugar..little pups need to eat at least every 4 hours there body cant store enough sugar sometimes. i would definatly get the dog in as the doors open tommorrow if you dont have a er vet
jensthreads

QUOTE 9/11/2006 8:23:17 AM
Just an update. The puppy woke up much better today.He urinated and had a bowel movement. He drank water from measuring spoonsw/ a dab of sugar in it. He also ate an entire bowl of food. He's still not interested in drinking water from the bowl. I also realized that there was a lot of grass from the yard in the puppy's stool. I did call the vet, and he told me that that can happen, and his stomach may be upset from what he's digesting in the yard. I'm keeping a watch on him today, and if he's not drinking more by the end of the day, I'll take him to the vet. In the meantime, he's wagging his tail, and definitly seems happier.
jensthreads

QUOTE 9/11/2006 8:24:55 AM
Another update. He just drank an entire bowl of water! YEAH!!!!
suebgone

QUOTE 9/11/2006 5:58:11 PM
I don't know how big your bowls are but letting him drink or eat an ENTIRE bowl of anything could cause him to bloat & die.

also what fox meant by sugar water is not a spoon of water with a dab of sugar in it. She meant simple syrup which is boiled however if you keep a bottle of Kyro syrup on hand you can use that.

You need to make sure the puppy is getting a snack late at nite to help prevent his glucose levels from dropping too far during the nite.
rescuewench

QUOTE 9/11/2006 10:09:14 PM
nutracal will help too.. the main ing is corn syrup., soybean oil, malt syrup, cod liver oil, cane molasses..

PS they LOVE the stuff too.

rw
jensthreads

QUOTE 9/12/2006 8:59:32 AM
He's eating, acting, and drinking normally now. I am going to purchase nutrical to have just in case, but my vet says he's fine.
gbat1stop

QUOTE 9/12/2006 3:42:22 PM

Quote suebgone:

I don't know how big your bowls are but letting him drink or eat an ENTIRE bowl of anything could cause him to bloat & die.

also what fox meant by sugar water is not a spoon of water with a dab of sugar in it. She meant simple syrup which is boiled however if you keep a bottle of Kyro syrup on hand you can use that.

You need to make sure the puppy is getting a snack late at nite to help prevent his glucose levels from dropping too far during the nite.
I agree. A 13 week old puppy cannot consume large portions of food or water in one feeding. Clover is now 8 months old and she continues to get 3 small portions a day with small amounts of water throughout the day.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 9/12/2006 4:20:25 PM
dyne is great stuff to have to its like nutracal but more of a liquid, it can be used to make yuckie meds taste good, its not quite as expensive as the other stuff on the market, its very healthy for them also. on the lable its recomended to help parvo puppies get better. its 150 calories per tea spoon..
ive had several sicklings that didnt like nutra cal that liked it, i keep it by the gallon..its good for horses too and i save alot of bags of bone horses and will safely help put wieght back on them and dogs ..No cats!
ps its what makes dogs like albon so much for those of you that know what that is and how readily dogs will take it
jensthreads

QUOTE 9/12/2006 6:47:09 PM

Quote gbat1stop:

I agree. A 13 week old puppy cannot consume large portions of food or water in one feeding. Clover is now 8 months old and she continues to get 3 small portions a day with small amounts of water throughout the day.
My bowls are normal size, but they are NOT EVEN CLOSE to being filled!!!
jensthreads

QUOTE 9/12/2006 6:49:41 PM

Quote jensthreads:

Just an update. The puppy woke up much better today.He urinated and had a bowel movement. He drank water from measuring spoonsw/ a dab of sugar in it. He also ate an entire bowl of food. He's still not interested in drinking water from the bowl. I also realized that there was a lot of grass from the yard in the puppy's stool. I did call the vet, and he told me that that can happen, and his stomach may be upset from what he's digesting in the yard. I'm keeping a watch on him today, and if he's not drinking more by the end of the day, I'll take him to the vet. In the meantime, he's wagging his tail, and definitly seems happier.
Let me rephrase this! The bowl was finished when the puppy finished eating, but it was NEVER close to being filled!(Don't worry)
gbat1stop

QUOTE 9/12/2006 7:11:46 PM

Quote jensthreads:

Let me rephrase this! The bowl was finished when the puppy finished eating, but it was NEVER close to being filled!(Don't worry)
We were just wondering since you said he ate an "entire" bowl of food. Overfeeding is a mistake many pet owners make and can be deadly, not to be acusing you of anything at all but just to inform those who do not know.

Glad to hear he is perking back up.
jensthreads

QUOTE 9/12/2006 8:16:06 PM
I understand. I have found this website so helpful. As a new owner of 2 puppies, it has been fun and challenging at the same time. They have opposite personalities and tempermants, and I'm constantly comparing their different patterns of behavior.
Post Reply New Topic